Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new arrows for my new mathews halon. I shot CX maxima hunter 350's with my old hunting setup. I was wondering if i should stick with maxima hunters or are there better hunting arrows out there? 70 lb draw at 29.5 inches
Thanks all

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you should go with something stiffer, like a 300, but that's just my opinion.
What arrow do you recommend?
350 is the stiffest maxima hunters i can find, I think that with CX the higher the number, the stiffer the spine. Im pretty sure the 350's i used before are stiffer than the CX maxima hunter 250's
correct me if i am wrong

·
Registered
660 Posts
Easton Axis 340 is what I use. 29"/70#. 100gr BH. 420 grain total arrow wt. Great KE and penetration. Blows through Elk.
Prolly gonna switch to micro diameter VAP or GT when my new bow comes in though.

·
Registered
51,092 Posts
There is nothing wrong using what you have. They are a good arrow. Better is in the mind of the shooter to a point. Myself I use A/C/C Pro hunters for hunting but unfortunately they are no longer available. My next choice would be A/C/C. Axis is also a nice arrow but for me I hate H.I.T. inserts. Bottom line use what you want as long as you have the correct spine for your set up.
Oh by the way a 250 CE is weaker than a 350 CE. The 350 is correct for you.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
What arrow do you recommend?
350 is the stiffest maxima hunters i can find, I think that with CX the higher the number, the stiffer the spine. Im pretty sure the 350's i used before are stiffer than the CX maxima hunter 250's
correct me if i am wrong
You can stick with the CX's, they offer a 450, I don't know how available they are though. There is nothing wrong with the 350's you are using they are pretty equivalent to the typical 340 shafts. I have similar specs and started with a 340 spine arrow, but found my bow to shoot the 300 spine much better. I also wanted to increase FOC so I went stiffer for that reason as well.

The Axis 300's I use now are 10.7gpi, and the CX 450's are 9.7gpi so still not as heavy. You could also buy one or two of a cheaper, stiffer arrow to see how they shoot out of your new bow before deciding. I like the Maxima Hunters, but I bet your bow would perform better with the 450's than your current 350's.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
You can stick with the CX's, they offer a 450, I don't know how available they are though. There is nothing wrong with the 350's you are using they are pretty equivalent to the typical 340 shafts. I have similar specs and started with a 340 spine arrow, but found my bow to shoot the 300 spine much better. I also wanted to increase FOC so I went stiffer for that reason as well.

The Axis 300's I use now are 10.7gpi, and the CX 450's are 9.7gpi so still not as heavy. You could also buy one or two of a cheaper, stiffer arrow to see how they shoot out of your new bow before deciding. I like the Maxima Hunters, but I bet your bow would perform better with the 450's than your current 350's.

I agree with redwings...at 29.5" arrow (or even 28" for that matter) and 70# draw a .340 spine is too light. Look for a .300 spine if you want carbon express go with CX450's you can also check out Gold Tip Hunters in .300 spine they are great arrows as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like i should go with a 300 spine which is what ill probably do. what 300 spine arrow do you recomend? either way i need to buy a new set of arrows due to me having a longer draw now. these arrows will be mostly for hunting but i might shoot in a 3d league before the season just for an excuse to shoot and get more familiar with my bow. im sure a heavy hunting arrow would be ok for that. what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
In my opinion, an I assure you it's not a brand based bias (as I was a Gold tip guy, before I became a carbon express guy, before I became an Easton guy).....

I've narrowed it down to 3 arrows....
1- the Easton Hess with the aftermarket 75 grain brass inserts, matched with 5 grain broadhead adaptors and slick tricks (15.7% FOC)
2- either the Easton
A- Full Metal Jacket Injexions with the Deep six inserts, cut 1 to 1.5 inches over length matched with the Big Nastys
B- Carbon Injexions with the same components.

Of all three, which is the BEST depends on the bow. For a twin hybrid or binary speed monster, the Hexxs. For a true and straight Nick travel flatter shooting distance piece, the FMJ injexions.

Buck

·
Registered
112 Posts
In my opinion, an I assure you it's not a brand based bias (as I was a Gold tip guy, before I became a carbon express guy, before I became an Easton guy).....

I've narrowed it down to 3 arrows....
1- the Easton Hess with the aftermarket 75 grain brass inserts, matched with 5 grain broadhead adaptors and slick tricks (15.7% FOC)
2- either the Easton
A- Full Metal Jacket Injexions with the Deep six inserts, cut 1 to 1.5 inches over length matched with the Big Nastys
B- Carbon Injexions with the same components.

Of all three, which is the BEST depends on the bow. For a twin hybrid or binary speed monster, the Hexxs. For a true and straight Nick travel flatter shooting distance piece, the FMJ injexions.

Buck

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
300 spine 5mm FMJ's from Easton (the axis size). I just built them for my bow and I'm totally in love... Hit inserts are great in my opinion, I cut the arrows to 29" with 7" wraps on the back and they weigh 510 grains. Proper poles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Pretty much any arrow will do the job. But the best... I say the Grizzlystik Momentum 250 with a 315gr. Ashby Broadhead is the best hunting arrow. Or just any of the Grizzlystik Momentum arrows with the broadhead of your choosing. Pretty pricey but you asked for the best :wink:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would consider a stiffer spine (300) but I don't think you can be a cx maxima hunter. I swetched from a cheap easton to maxima hunters and my groups at 40 and 50 have gotten much tighter!! I don't think you can beat them!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Three letters.
F-M-J
My favorite hunting arrows

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just got easton deep six fmj for my halon. Going to try them out when my rest shows up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts