Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading out to South Dakota around the middle of November this year to hunt whitetail. I will be on the Western side of the river, so trees are few and far between. This makes for a lot of spot and stalk style hunting.

Now to the point.... I need a boot that will be warm during the long sits while glassing, but not too bulky. They also need to be super comfortable. I will be putting on some miles so durability is a must. I would prefer they weren’t super expensive, but I do realize that quality isn’t always cheap.

What are your favorite hunting boots and why? All suggestions help!

· Corripe Cervisiam
27,973 Posts
You’re better off just going to a store and finding a pair of boots that YOU like than asking here!!
Agreed^

Its all about fit.

So what if some guy that has Flintstone feet likes a certain boot....the volume may not match your June Cleaver feet. [now if you don't get those references- you are so young you can wear just about any boot anyway- so no matter] /grin

That said...I've been happy with my Solomen GTX's.

· HERD BULL
2,096 Posts
Agreed^

Its all about fit.

So what if some guy that has Flintstone feet likes a certain boot....the volume may not match your June Cleaver feet. [now if you don't get those references- you are so young you can wear just about any boot anyway- so no matter] /grin

That said...I've been happy with my Solomen GTX's.
That’s some funny chit!!! Before my time but spent many an afternoon watching that with my dad....flipper too!

· Registered
176 Posts
I had Danner pronghorns. They were ok, but heavy after walking a lot and a bit bulky to be making stalks on the crunchy AZ desert. I picked up crispi Thor GTX's. THey are so much lighter, a little slimmer and much more quiet because of this.

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns. Great reviews on them. Almost purchased a pair of Irish setter vaprtrek LS but I have a pair of Irish setter work boots and they seem to run narrow. I did like how light they were though.

· Registered
1,571 Posts
There is a little more to buying a boot than a great fit. Buying a boot that fit's great and leaks water great is not a great boot. On the Rockkslide forums they have a boot section that's really good, spend some time
there and you will see what I mean.

· Registered
264 Posts
The only boot that hasn’t leaked for me has been Hanwag alaska.

Boots I’ve used and are guaranteed to leak:
Danner pronghorn
Danner Radical 452
Lowa renegade
Lowa zephyr
Lowa cevedale pro
Vasque breeze
Salomon quest 4d
Merrill Moab
Oboz bridger

· Registered
1,571 Posts
The only boot that hasn’t leaked for me has been Hanwag alaska.

Boots I’ve used and are guaranteed to leak:
Danner pronghorn
Danner Radical 452
Lowa renegade
Lowa zephyr
Lowa cevedale pro
Vasque breeze
Salomon quest 4d
Merrill Moab
Oboz bridger
LOL I've owned some on that list, they did leak. My current 2 brands I have now are meindl and zamberland the meindal's are about 15yrs. old, heavy as all get out and the best boot I've ever owned.
The zamberland's are on their 3rd yr. and still don't leak

One of the best pieces of advice came from the Rockslide forums, if you can find them, buy a boot that doesn't have gortex or any other water proof lining. Why, they can hold moisture in as well as keeping
it out and once the moisture builds up enough that you notice it , it takes forever to dry out. Insulation can build with moisture but will dry out a lot faster.

Oops, forgot to mention that the meindl's are still water proof, unreal.

· Registered
263 Posts
don't know how true this is but an older hunter saw my leather hunting boots and tells that I should have gotten some insulated rubber boots. He said the leather leaves a scent and the rubber ones don't.

Again, I don't know how true his statement is. Just throwing my 2 cents out there.

· Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
8,890 Posts
I’ve had a couple pairs of uninsulated Danner pronghorns. They were comfortable but the waterproofing lasted about a year.
Just bought Crispi GTX Colorado boots. Walked many miles elk hunting, comfortable and dry.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.