Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a new knife for Christmas. Wondering what folding knife is the best? I know when I say "best" there is no best. But I was looking at a Buck Knife (Alpha Hunter) or one of the CRKT knives? Any under suggestions under say $75. Thanks guy. This knife will be for hunting only, gutting deer and that good stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
get a case fixed blade knife. folding knives get so dirty after cleaning a deer. Fixed blades tend to be easier to clean, and Case hunter model 380 or 379 are both great choices for about 50 bucks. lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I don't know what is "the best knife," but I have quite a few knives and like a smaller one for field dressing. And I prefer a breaking knife for butchering.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/knives.htm#8 inch breaking knife

Also, I prefer one with out a gut hook. A separate gut hook may be fine, but if it is on the end of my primary knife, it just gets in the way.

I have two of these and they are good - especially for larger animals like elk.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productid=2893

But I prefer one like that that is smaller for deer. I got it at Walmart, but couldn't find a picture on the web.

Features I prefer are: folding, locking blade, straight edge. Fixed blade knives are easier to clean, but they are too bulky to carry for me. I also have the Alpha in the fixed blade model, but it sits in my gear bag back home.

Ray

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Knives of Alaska and Buck both make great knives. If you want a lock back, a little shorter and handier than the Buck 110, you might consider the 112.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Do yourself a favor, get the Buck! Great knives! Excellent quality with a lifetime warranty. Bucks folders are designed to be easy to clean and the alpha series are designed with the hunter in mind. They do not get all gunked up inside, in fact you can rinse them straight though. I love my alphas! I have a couple and never had a problem. My wife also has one, its her favorite knife for hunting. If you want a smaller folder look into the Alpha dorado. One thing I will say though, is I would look into getting one with ATS-34, 154CM or S30V steel. They hold an edge alot better then the standard steel, BUT if you want a knife that is easy to sharpen, get the standard blade! You cant go wrong either way!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I just use my Case trapper pocket knife, to gut ,Skin & quarter.
Then to process I use a 6" fillet knife & 8" butcher knife.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cold steel master hunter.. san mai III steel.

Buck knives are good, and so are case knives. CRKT makes a folding deer skinner called an alaska bwana. Hollow ground with decently hard steel.. holds an edge pretty well. I have one.

Good knives: Buck, case, kershaw, gerber, crkt

GREAT knives: benchmade, cold steel, spyderco, knives of alaska, emerson

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
i am a huge benchmade and knives of alaska fan. having said that, i just got back from texas. i watched a rancher's kid butcher a 90 lb pig in about 20-30 seconds. it was unbelievable. he said the secret is his, 6" buck knife. he bought it at walmart. he said the added length gives him leverage. he levers through the pelvic bone and zippers open the rib cage up to the neck. the insides come out easy went the animal is fully opened up..

in my pocket goes a benchmade. in my hunting pack, i store a knives of alaska. in my truck, i have a high carbon, cheapo, butcher knife.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Get a buck blade that has the CPM154 steel. I have s30v blades, I make blades out of CPM154, and between the two maintaining CPM154 blades is a lot easier. Both are still head and shoulders above any 440 series steel, but unless you have diamond sharpeners or use power tools, S30V takes FOREVER to sharpen. OTOH remember this. ANY knife that is advertised as being extremely easy to sharpen also dulls very quickly. They can sit there and say it sharpens easily and holds an edge for a long time till they are blue in the face and it is 100% not true. When you use the blade you induce wear on the edge. When you sharpen it you are still inducing wear on the blade to get the edge back. So, think about that. If you found another blade from another company that uses 154CM steel, it is the same formula of steel, it just did not start off as a powder and get melted in a vacuum furnace. Just as good though.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._81988_425011002_425000000_425011000_425-11-2

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._81996_425011002_425000000_425011000_425-11-2

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,392 Posts
Drop Point Hunting Knife with the Double-D edge by Cutco. Read the reviews and believe them. This thing is for real, guaranteed forever, made in the USA and holds an edge like no other knife I've used. I've got some fancier knives that work awesome, like a Rapid River Knife Works but for the $$$$ I can't say enough good things about this knife. It's under $70 and would be easily worth $100 in my opinion.

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5718

·
Registered
14 Posts
Swingblaze Knife from Outdoor Edge

Try one of these-$50 or so dollars. Good steel-easy to sharpen. Knife on one side- gutting "zipper" on the other. I love mine-feels good in the hand, and easy to work with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts