Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be the best crossbow in the $300-$500 price range ?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
out of curiosity,how are the carbon express crossbows ?I've almost always shot cx arrows but I have no clue what kind of crossbow they build.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to spend a lot on a crossbow until I know if my target panic comes into play with one but I certainly don't want to buy a piece of junk either.my tp comes into play when shooting trap so I'm wondering what a crossbow would be like for me

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
I don't want to spend a lot on a crossbow until I know if my target panic comes into play with one but I certainly don't want to buy a piece of junk either.my tp comes into play when shooting trap so I'm wondering what a crossbow would be like for me
Target Panic ... has everything to do with you, and little to do with the weapon. Sometimes, using too high magnification on a scope target shooting spots can prompt TP in otherwise TP free individuals. If you have TP shooting trap, you better treat the disease and not worry about the weapon. I'll almost guarantee you'll see it reoccur with a crossbow.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's great insight.i'm able to control the tp with archery through using a back tension release but I know that type of accessory isn't feasible with a x-bow so that's why I kinda wondered how it would work out.my form of tp is the snap shooting.fear of missing the target.with a back tension release my brain knows its ok to aim but shooting trap is miserable.as soon as the target comes out of the house I'm poking the gun at it and pulling the trigger

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
In that price range Wicked Ridge. Or a good used bow. I'd contact Wyvern as mentioned. I've never had target panic but have talked to those that have and broke it....they tell me (this is vert bow shooters) the best way to break it is to blank bale some targets. Stand close to the target, eyes closed, feel the trigger release on surprise. I have to believe like Duke, trap shooting TP is going to spill over to a crossbow and buying a new weapon is not the way to break it. Its a mental thing and you have to find something to break it. If you get a crossbow, btw I would anyway because they are a lot of fun :) You could try blank bailing it just be careful. Other than that I have no advice. I have a lot of mental problems but TP hasn't been one of them so far LOL

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Target Panic ... has everything to do with you, and little to do with the weapon. Sometimes, using too high magnification on a scope target shooting spots can prompt TP in otherwise TP free individuals. If you have TP shooting trap, you better treat the disease and not worry about the weapon. I'll almost guarantee you'll see it reoccur with a crossbow.
I agree Duke..I remember a friend of mine that developed target panic shooting his vertical bow, he always shot right handed so he switched to shooting left handed and the TP went away..My theory was, when he switched to shooting left handed it was like leaning to shoot all over again so the TP left his mind..To this day, if he shoots right handed the TP returns...

Mike

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
I agree Duke..I remember a friend of mine that developed target panic shooting his vertical bow, he always shot right handed so he switched to shooting left handed and the TP went away..My theory was, when he switched to shooting left handed it was like leaning to shoot all over again so the TP left his mind..To this day, if he shoots right handed the TP returns...

Mike

Sounds like another great method! Trick the brain....after all it is mental. Me, I'd just have to give up cause I can't even pick my nose left handed very effectively.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Mike
wow ! I've never heard of that but it sounds like it would certainly work because target panic is 100% mental.I control it with back tension with a vertical bow.I spent alot of hours blind and blank baling with the back tension release but it sounds like I would struggle with a crossbow

·
Banned
14,021 Posts
Wicked Ridge Warrior
Ten Point GT flex(i would get this one personally)
Barnett Ghost 350
Wicked Ridge Invader
Excalibur Axiom or ibex

all of these choices you will not go wrong on

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my local dealer sells 10 point.he has an indoor range.i'll have to see if he keeps a demo in the shop I can shoot a couple dozen bolts with and see how it goes

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
There is a used gt flex here in the classifieds for $400 with tons of arrows.

·
Huntoholic
10,777 Posts
I have found most,,,,,,"target panic" should be referred to as lack of quality practice! If you have what you reffer to as TP,,,,,make sure you shooting form is correst and PRACTICE,,,PRACTICE,,,PRACTICE,,, once you have had enough practice, any weapon you choose will work, then I would select a used Excalibur, Parker, or Ten Point, you wont be sorry and will have a quality product.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the cross bow? you cannot hunt deer with them any longer during the regular season. Are you hunting in other states with it?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
-I had that problem my older brother taught me to straighten out my pinky finger on the forearm gripit took my mind off of it and focused on my finger being straight

1 - 20 of 31 Posts