Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for insert glue on carbon shafts.
I have been using a 2 part Carbon Express epoxy, but have had too many inserts pull out, so I want to switch.
I use AAE fast set gel for my fletchings and it works great. Can I just use that for my inserts as well?

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
You must have gotten a bad batch of the epoxy, or the CX stuff just doesn't work too well. Every insert that I've used the Easton 2-part or even the 2-part epoxy for golf clubs on, is still stuck even after hard hits.

·
Thunder Chicken Assassin
1,675 Posts
I've always used the 2 part epoxies. However, I always rough up the inside of the shaft with a file before installing the inserts. Gives the glue something to grab onto.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I use my wife's finger nail glue/ super glue don't know if it is recommended or not but I have never had one come out yet.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,673 Posts
In my experience...

Hot melt glue works fine for aluminum. 2 part epoxy works the best for carbon.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bohning Insert Iron and let them cure 24 hours.

·
Vendor
4,577 Posts
Gold Tip Tip Grip glue. It is super good.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Gorilla Glue Super Glue. Contains rubber particles to make it more flexible than other instant glues, so it resist hard impacts. Perfect for inserts. I use it on inserts, feathers, and bowfishing nocks and tips. Tough, tough stuff. I don't even have to pin my bowfishing points.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
Gorilla Glue Super Glue. Contains rubber particles to make it more flexible than other instant glues, so it resist hard impacts.
I started using the Gorilla Super Glue for fletching because it's tons cheaper and lasts a lot longer than the Maxbond I was using. However, I have used it on inserts and it WILL break free on hard hits.;)

·
Registered
18,251 Posts
Ive used a bunch with good results. Loctite super glue or goat tuff is what I have using lately on my carbon shafts!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I started using the Gorilla Super Glue for fletching because it's tons cheaper and lasts a lot longer than the Maxbond I was using. However, I have used it on inserts and it WILL break free on hard hits.;)
Never had that happen, even with using metal blunts and hitting rocks while stump shooting. Nothing is 100%.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts