Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
My wife has a couple of battery powered black lights that she uses for work. I am going to use one of them this year. I know that they show everything, so I am curious how they will workin the woods.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Coleman lantern w/reflective shield. (and of course a full can of fuel and a handful of mantels) :smile: And taking along one or two buddies with the same euipment doesn't hurt things either!

Greg

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
ashx2 said:
Coleman lantern w/reflective shield.
I agree. :thumbs_up I also carry a small compact Browning Black Ice flashlight with the Blacklight LED bulbs that makes blood 'glow".

·
Registered
406 Posts
A Coleman lantern. I put aluminum foil around half the globe to cut down glare. It just about gets hot enough to fry back straps!!! :smile:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have and use a Brinkman battery operated spotlight.Really bright and runs on 4 d cell batteries.. I ordered it from brinkman and it was only $25 best money i ever spent.It's 700,000 candle power and the batteries last forever in it. I tried the rechargeable spots but they s*** imo. Never last longer than 10 mins.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
cant beat them

ashx2 said:
Coleman lantern w/reflective shield. (and of course a full can of fuel and a handful of mantels) :smile: And taking along one or two buddies with the same euipment doesn't hurt things either!

Greg

and I would rather trail at night, the blood shines.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Surefire Flashlight with a blue filter-makes the blood glow

·
74,535 Posts
Same here

ashx2 said:

Greg
We use the coleman lanterns with aluminum shieled on backside.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Does a blacklight actually make blood glow? I don't see red very well and tracking is always a nightmare for me.

SSSSSSsssssssssssnake and the red/green colorblindness

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
trapperDave said:
Sun light :)
Agree with that , but the coleman lantern works good too

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
ssssssnake said:
Does a blacklight actually make blood glow? I don't see red very well and tracking is always a nightmare for me.

SSSSSSsssssssssssnake and the red/green colorblindness

Snake, A black light is suppose to turn blood to a blueish/white color. Petsmart has handheld battery powered blacklights for sell for around $20 bucks. I am going back out on Wednesday, and hopefully I can let you know.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
willie said:
Coleman lantern...
I have to agree with this. I also but alluminum foil around the back. It directs the light forward and not my eyes. They only thing I have noticed is we seem to get better results with liquid fuel, rather than propane.

Honestly the ay it makes blood shine it is sometimes easier trailing at night than in the daylight!!!!!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I use 2 flashlights with me when I track in the dark.....

One smaller light that forces me to concentrate on small areas for blood drops and one bright battery powered spot light. The spot light allows me to stop every 20yrds or so and look ahead and see if I can catch eye reflecting or a white belly. Usually I will be able to see the reflection a long time before I would have found him using the blood trail.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yup, I also agree with the double mantle Colman lantern with the tin foil backing to keep the light our of your eyes. And Live4hunting also brings up a good point -- the older syle Colemans with the liquid fuel seem to work better than the propane types.

·
Registered
173 Posts
A liquid fuel coleman lantern works real well. I have tried the blue lens on a lithium battery powered (very bright) flashlight and I don't think it does a damn thing to make blood show up. In fact, it would be better to leave the colored lens off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts