Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a new bow that is built for long range shooting, ie up to 100 yards. I understand that pretty much all of the newer bows could be that accurate with the right shooter, but I am wondering if there are some bows that might be better suited for long range. It seems as though the new bows out in the market today are the shorter axle to axle which are easily manuevarable and light, but lack the forgiving nature of longer bows. Anyone have any suggestions as to what bow I should look at?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I've never really understood what people mean when they talk about "forgiving" bows.

Does that mean that when you miss the target, the bow sort of whispers to you "Well that was a s**thouse shot, but I forgive you" ? Or does it mean that when the sights are aligned on the six ring at the instant of release, the bow will somehow, magically, make the arrow go into the ten?

I shoot a 35 inch ATA Mathews Prestige bow and shoot FITA target matches most of the time. At 90m, when I'm in form and doing things properly, I can generally keep my shots inside the gold at that range, most of the time. When my shots don't go into the gold, it isn"t anything the bow has done wrong - it is always because of something I have done wrong.

Would using a 40" ATA bow make it easier for me to put arrows into the gold at 90m? I'm damned if I know how. Either my form is good or it isn't. If it is, I'll get the scores I deserve regardless of the range or the bow and if it's not then I won't.

All anyone can ask of their bow is that it be comfortable to shoot, fast enough for the task demanded of it, reliable and consistent in performance.

High quality, matched arrows will have more impact on results than the bow chosen. I believe most modern bows, regardless of ATA will be more than adequate for the task of long range (any range) shooting providing you use good arrows and have good form - and good form means lots of hard practice. No bow is going to make up for lack of this.:wink:

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
at 90 meters is all about form assuming you want a compound any modern day one will do ok cause it's more about you and your form than the bow.

I have see accurate recurve shooters too at that distance.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My understanding of a forgiving bow is one that is least affected by the inaccuraces the shooter introduces during the shot for example hand torque. A highly reflexed riser will react more violently to offcentre hand pressure than a deflex riser. The same goes for ATA. So my understanding of a good bow for long distance target shooting is one with a deflex riser, long ATA, high brace height and high mass weight AKA Merlin SuperNova

·
Registered
819 Posts
You might consider an ELB/warbow - man sized, 100#+. That is if you want to pin a knight to his horse with a 100gr arrow at 200 yards.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,368 Posts
baileyf16 said:
I am looking to purchase a new bow that is built for long range shooting, ie up to 100 yards. I understand that pretty much all of the newer bows could be that accurate with the right shooter, but I am wondering if there are some bows that might be better suited for long range. It seems as though the new bows out in the market today are the shorter axle to axle which are easily manuevarable and light, but lack the forgiving nature of longer bows. Anyone have any suggestions as to what bow I should look at?

Thanks for the replies.
http://www.martinarchery.com/?page=bows&bow=razorx

Martin Razor X with the Elite limbs (45.75-inch ATA),
and the Nitrous X Cam (shoot through system)
set at 65% letoff (higher holding weight will give you a cleaner release)

Limb pockets are directly above
the grip. Generous brace height.

Smokin' speed and hard wall with the Nitrous X cam shoot through system.

Completely balanced load on the cam axles,
due to 2 cables on the left side
and
2 cables on the right side.

No cable guard-induced torque.

ZERO cam lean at brace and at full draw.

NO Tools required for cable adjustments when at the range.
Just two hands.

You can creep tune this bow with just your two hands
(add twists or remove twists to the cables).

Fine tuning the draw length
just requires an allen wrench.

No bowpress required. Not a portable. Not a full size. Ever.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Youre making me really want that bow. How much $$ are we talkin about here?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
niceguy said:
My understanding of a forgiving bow is one that is least affected by the inaccuraces the shooter introduces during the shot for example hand torque. A highly reflexed riser will react more violently to offcentre hand pressure than a deflex riser. The same goes for ATA. So my understanding of a good bow for long distance target shooting is one with a deflex riser, long ATA, high brace height and high mass weight AKA Merlin SuperNova

nuts&bolts said:
http://www.martinarchery.com/?page=bows&bow=razorx

Martin Razor X with the Elite limbs (45.75-inch ATA),
and the Nitrous X Cam (shoot through system)
set at 65% letoff (higher holding weight will give you a cleaner release)

Limb pockets are directly above
the grip. Generous brace height.

Smokin' speed and hard wall with the Nitrous X cam shoot through system.

Completely balanced load on the cam axles,
due to 2 cables on the left side
and
2 cables on the right side.

No cable guard-induced torque.

ZERO cam lean at brace and at full draw.

NO Tools required for cable adjustments when at the range.
Just two hands.

You can creep tune this bow with just your two hands
(add twists or remove twists to the cables).

Fine tuning the draw length
just requires an allen wrench.

No bowpress required. Not a portable. Not a full size. Ever.
If you have never shot a forgiving bow, it is because you have never shot one. There is such a thing most bows been manufactured are designed for the hunter and 3Ders. During the long duration of shooting of a FITA tournament you will need a forgiving bow to win.

As has already been stated by these two gentleman. A more forgiving bow lets you get away with a less than perfect release and will allow you to shoot longer with better scoring ability. Of course, a lot of this forgiviness is related to the arrows to they have to be suited to use at longer distances as well. Forgiviness begins to relate to accuracy. Yeap, I can get all of them in the yellow with this setup. But the more forgiving bow will get more 10's.

I have two Scepter III Elites with the Nitrous-X shoot through system. I love them for any type of know distance shooting. The Martin Nitrous-X system is superior and more forgiving than any other large scale manufactured bow today for this type of shooting. Merlin also makes some good bow for this type of shooting.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Try an APA!!

The APA Anaconda can be customized with the Venom single cam to make an amazing target/long distance shooter's dream. It comes in at 40" axle to axle, 8.5" brace height, and 300 fps IBO. Pretty good specs for what you are wanting to do.

I agree with the other posters about how the shooter has more input on how the shot turns out than the bow. However, I also believe that you can stack the odds in your favour by choosing equipment that works the best for the individual shooter. Some people just can't shoot low brace height bows (like me!) while other shooters can.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with??

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
menaztricks said:
Youre making me really want that bow. How much $$ are we talkin about here?

Ballpark figure? $900 would be my best estimate for a target color. And worth it if you're serious.

A couple guys her are totally correct. Martin Nitrous X is probably the best shooting production system that you can get.

For ane example, I've been shooting compounds for over 32 years. 32" long to the 50" ers of yesteryear. 5 3/4" brace up to 9 1/2". Bows today are better than way back when, BUT........the best shooting, most accurate bow in my hands was my 1977 Jennings Arrowstar (ancient). Why? Just the geometry of the bow more suited for accuracy and not speed. 48" axle to axle and about 9" brace height. Deflexed riser. Plus, I was more a more serious shooter back then.

Now I have shot almost everything in between since then, geometrically speaking. Short, reflexed risers, parallel limbs. The same holds true for me today. Right now my better shooting bow is a Martin P-3 Elite, Nitrous X.
It's also the longest with the least reflex riser of three bows.

You just can't change the laws of physics.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
metalarcher said:
try a Bowtech Old Glory or a Cons. Longer ATA , High BH bows.. Fast..
My Thoughts Exactly:)

P.S. My Allegiance forgives me all the time;)

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Biased opinion but no bow in the world can better the Bowman Accu-Riser II for long distance shooting.
Its no torgue handle, X-cams, shoot thru system, and top components, makes it idea for long range shots.
Not a cheap bow though at $1,100.00
Most Merlins are great long range bows too. ;)

Sag.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts