Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
4,381 Posts
The fastest response and predominate answer on archery talk seems to always be that scent and camo don't matter. Which is odd, because archery hunters pretty much started and drove the tree stand, camo, and scent business to start. Gun hunters wore red plaid and smoked cigars. Kicked out a big place in the leaves under a tree. Ate baby Ruth candy bars and vienna sausages and threw the wrappers and cans on the ground

· Registered
5,619 Posts
And of course playing the wind , but as we all know the wind is finicky especially in rolling or hilly country ! So I had to say that before “ the play the wind police show up “ ! Ozone does really help ! I ozone my clothes before every sit snd run a unit in the tree most of the time depending on wind speed ! Don’t knock it till u try it !

· Registered
7,548 Posts
And of course playing the wind , but as we all know the wind is finicky especially in rolling or hilly country ! So I had to say that before “ the play the wind police show up “ ! Ozone does really help ! I ozone my clothes before every sit snd run a unit in the tree most of the time depending on wind speed ! Don’t knock it till u try it !
some folks i know and trust say the same.

· Registered
3,765 Posts
I’ll stick with woodsmanship over a gadget. It’s more satisfying than using a machine to take out a deers #1 defensive mechanism if you believe it works. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it! 😉

· Registered
1,143 Posts
Seen tests with sprays, soaps, etc and their benefits are limited. Keep your body clean, hunt the wind and hope the deer don’t get downwind.

· Registered
Bowtech SR6x3, Qad, Victory SS, Black Gold Sight
1,301 Posts
If you are going to use something. I would say maybe 8 fresh apples blended then spray on your boots and soles . Spray the bottom of your tree.
Wind is 99 percent though. .

· Registered
30,528 Posts
I totally agree with the "play the wind" police comment.....it is a given on any scent related AT thread. They contend that NOTHING a human can do will mask their odor. Must be nice to live in such a black and white reality in the woods where the wind direction magically scrubs away your bad breath, BO and other gases. However I have seen bucks walking with the wind at their tail while looking ahead....or cross wind at times.....and often circling if any form of calling or attractant is being used. Or swirling winds where it is hitting you in the face one minute and from either side or even behind a few minutes later. So how does the wind help in those circumstances?

First off, I don't bring an ozone generator into the woods. I have the Outdoor channel Dish package and watch some hunting programming.....not many are hauling those in the woods any longer. Many use ozone in a tub or "closet" to help reduce odors, the store them or transport in a bag to their hunting area. I've dabbled with that, but continue to simply hang my hunting clothing outdoors after every hunt and often for an hour or two before the next hunt. Base layers and undies are hand laundered in scentless detergent regularly, including hats and face masks.

Starting in mid-September, I shift from any personal hygiene product with an intentional scent to all scentless products.....bar soap and shampoo in the shower.....deodorant and hand lotion for aftershave....plus scent free baby wipes for a quick "GI shower" before a hunt. I try to avoid really spicy foods that leave an after-odor such as Italian or Mexican.....plus they are freqently the cause of those "gotta go" moments in the woods. Brush your teeth, snack on an apple before or during a hunt....just consider your life as a "system". Now I am not claiming I will be "scentless"....far from it, but my goal is scent reduction which has definitely had a positive effect in the past two decades. Or not....if you don't believe it and want to just "play the wind", eat your Vienna sausages or drink coffee or spit chaw juice from your stand.

· Registered
4,784 Posts
I use an ozone generator in a tub for my duds and boots but question it's help in the field unless it's in a blind with you. Yes, play the wind but they come from where they want at times. I use that heard in a bottle stick stuff, not sure it really helps but has not hurt from what I have seen. But remember, we all think what we use is the best.
Ches.

Reactions: Dafis

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I wash my clothes in unscented soap. Shower and use unscented deodorant. However I don't think you can fool a deers nose or block human odor. I just choose not to add to it by smelling like a spring flower or whatever smell the clothes soap is my wife bought that month..

The only thing that has ever remotely worked for me is campfire smoke.. I've had deer directly down wind that didn't spook. Wether they just didn't smell me or the smoke really works I'm not sure but it's happened on several occasions.

· Registered
1,128 Posts
shot my first deer with a bow at 14. I am now 62. Do you think scent blocker stuff or ozone junk was around then? Been killing deer ever since. At #4 for this year so far.

· Registered
Hoyt RX7, QAD rest, Axcel sight,Wise Choice release, Black Eagle Rampage with 150 grain Micro Hades
22 Posts
The best scent control is the wind. But I do think being scent free is key as well. Good trappers get animals by being scent free so it can't hurt for big deer.

· Registered
6,150 Posts
There is no such thing as a "scent blocker". But you can do things to help minimize your scent as Alaska mentioned and I try to do the same. Scent free bath and laundry soaps. I try to have a smaller scent zone or in other words no cologne or scented deodorants. Keep my hunting clothes in a tub so they dont absorb household smells like cooking, cleaning products and pet odors to name a few. Its little things like that do make a difference. Nothing will eliminate your scent completely but I do believe you can have a much smaller impact on a deers nose with the suggestions above. I also believe hunting pressure and overall human activity in a given area plays a huge role in a deers reaction to human scent.

· Registered
5,619 Posts
I don’t know how many times I’ve set up for a. Forecasted wind and it changes for a few minutes and starts swirling , I play the wind the best I can but as u all know especially in hilly terrain the thermals are also a problem ! Do whatever works for u , I’m only posting what I do , I was a skeptic about ozone , until I tried it for myself ! I got an ozone bag for my clothes and I began experimenting with it . The first test was my grandsons smelly tennis shoes , it took 2 30 minute ozone treatments and that funky smell was completely gone ! So I knew then it would help mask human odor ! I rarely wash my clothes at all I just ozone them before every hunt ! I use to wash them after every sit ! If u have ever smelled that fragrance before a spring rain that’s ozone made naturally so the deer have smelled it before ! I run a small unit in the tree especially on calm days or variable winds it really helps , I’ve seen mature bucks come from down wind stop and smell the ozone and keep coming ! All I know is what I’ve experienced for myself ! Play the wind , stay clean , keep ur clothes clean , it all helps ! I also use evercalm on my boots and where I want them to stop for the shot ! I also sit high when I’m able to , I primarily use a climber ! Stay clean play the wind and enjoy the hunt !!!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts