Archery Talk Forum banner

Best odor blocker?

2315 62
What have been your best scent blocking secrets? Been seeing an add for a little blender you put pine needles, sticks, leaves etc and make your own and spray yourself with. Looks cool.
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
OMG, playing the wind isn’t an option everywhere, especially where I hunt. It blows every direction when you’re in a stand. Ozone does help mitigate your scent. I’ve had great success since I started using an ozone generator.

· Registered
522 Posts
There is an odor blocker and it’s call scent thief. Like others I was skeptical I had a doe walk in my tracks to my tree stand and chalked it up to some sort of oddity with the wind.
But after numerous times I’ve had deer walk downwind from and in my tracks I’m convinced it works.

· Registered
Halon X 65 Lbs 585 grain
1,935 Posts
Use hunter soap with clothes , take a shower with hunter soap then you DONT have too play the wind, most the deer I kill are down wind , but if some one hear cant do it then it becomes impossible, I dont under stand why maybe AT rules say some ware if I cant do it then no one can

· Registered
19,915 Posts
I am as big a scent containment skeptic as anyone, went through the ringer over the years, even wearing three layers of scentlok/block stuff, nothing worked.

started managing some properties for a couple wealthy guys, we had an Ozone room and they had extra Ozonics units, they are not 100% of course but they do work, particularly in a blind!

· Registered
807 Posts
Hi,

i couldn't agree more !

most of the time i hunt the driftless area of S,W, Wisconsin.

high ridges, deep valleys. the wind swirls every which direction.

there are times it even hits you on the top of the head.

play the wind, :) - sure if your a flat lander - open country.

I totally agree with the "play the wind" police comment.....it is a given on any scent related AT thread. They contend that NOTHING a human can do will mask their odor. Must be nice to live in such a black and white reality in the woods where the wind direction magically scrubs away your bad breath, BO and other gases. However I have seen bucks walking with the wind at their tail while looking ahead....or cross wind at times.....and often circling if any form of calling or attractant is being used. Or swirling winds where it is hitting you in the face one minute and from either side or even behind a few minutes later. So how does the wind help in those circumstances?

First off, I don't bring an ozone generator into the woods. I have the Outdoor channel Dish package and watch some hunting programming.....not many are hauling those in the woods any longer. Many use ozone in a tub or "closet" to help reduce odors, the store them or transport in a bag to their hunting area. I've dabbled with that, but continue to simply hang my hunting clothing outdoors after every hunt and often for an hour or two before the next hunt. Base layers and undies are hand laundered in scentless detergent regularly, including hats and face masks.

Starting in mid-September, I shift from any personal hygiene product with an intentional scent to all scentless products.....bar soap and shampoo in the shower.....deodorant and hand lotion for aftershave....plus scent free baby wipes for a quick "GI shower" before a hunt. I try to avoid really spicy foods that leave an after-odor such as Italian or Mexican.....plus they are freqently the cause of those "gotta go" moments in the woods. Brush your teeth, snack on an apple before or during a hunt....just consider your life as a "system". Now I am not claiming I will be "scentless"....far from it, but my goal is scent reduction which has definitely had a positive effect in the past two decades. Or not....if you don't believe it and want to just "play the wind", eat your Vienna sausages or drink coffee or spit chaw juice from your stand.

· Registered
807 Posts
Hi,

hill country, in the morning you always have thermals rising...

i get up top. hunt down hill. wind direction doesn't really bother.

in the evening, you always have thermals falling. get in along bottom

edges... hunt up hill. evening winds are lite. if any.

my best cover scent was skunk. until my bird dog tangled with

a skunk an had to sit on the floor board of the jeep cuz i didn't think

i needed a box for ol' Barron. :(

now i use rac**n or fox pi*s for cover scent.

also use nose jammer. then i try to be as scent free as possible.

i feel every little bit helps during bow.

time of season matters greatly. full rut you could smell like tune

an bucks could care less. now does are another deal.

during gun, i don't worry about scent to much. i sit along top of ridge.

i never get busted. they don't have clue.

ya gotta do what ya gotta do :)

it's not a one fits all thing... but any effort can't hurt

Hi,

i couldn't agree more !

· The Impartial Archer
24,826 Posts
I don’t believe in any of that stuff. Hunt with the wind in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.....and how do you do that in areas with ridges and normally calm winds that swirl which you cannot control. I want to know how all you folks just make that simple statement.....please tell me your secrets.

I DO believe in that stuff and after bow hunting 40+ years half of that without anything and half with the scent control stuff I no doubt see improvements in using them.

They will NOT make you disapper like the adds they might gain you an edge.....and as a bowhunter that extra 20 or so yards could make all the difference in the world.

I really believe the people that mock scent control either live in KA and have a 20 mph winds normally that blow in their face, do a lot more rifle hunting than bow hunting OR are in the Cam Hanes 120 yard shot crowds.

Most of the deer I kill are at 5 - 12 yards in conditions where the wind is very unpredictable and I have learned to routinely get close so I while I don't buy into all the hype and I don't have an Ozonics I still KNOW you can cut down your human scent signature to some degree if you try but you will never go undetected.

· The Impartial Archer
24,826 Posts

I didn't see your comment but that's funny...........That is one of my pet peeves here as well. I was thinking about taking my camera out and filming me live hunting with a watch in the background and using a wind detector like the powder to show just how hard than can be for some folks.

It literally can be blowing in about every direction possible all in a 15 minute time span.....that's why I know the stuff "helps".......but that's all it does is help some but I'll take any advantage I can get that's that cheap & easy.

IOW all that it costs me is $4 for some bar soap and $9 for laundry detergent (that I only substitute for the OTHER soaps I would be using anyway) and store my clothes in a plastic tube and lastly dress in the field..........that's a very small price to pay IMO.

It's not like it's hard or expensive. Now if I were shooting deer at 80 yards with a bow or 100+ with a rifle..........it's not really a big deal then.

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,011 Posts
You smell what you eat, you know the guy that puts garlic on everything and you have to stand 5 feet from him or you will gag, taking a shower will not help him.
just like aspargus, onions or flavored chew.

People take baths, spray down, but wear there camo hat and boots year round, their packs hang in the garage, no spray is going to kill the scent of them.

people say play the wind, where I hunt , deer can and will come from every direction. So every tree I have I have to gamble some, some times it has paid off, other times, when I figure out the big buck has me figured out so I go to plan b, c, d,f etc...

I try to stay as clean as I can, wear minimal clothes to stand so I do not perspire(sweat).
I do have a tote I put all my clothes including boots and pack in, with a Ozone machine, in the bed of the truck.
I do not use it all the time , but most of the time. I think it helps some times, other times not so much. When that doe 100 yards away starts blowing, me stink, never :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
5,668 Posts
I don’t know if any of the sprays work. I have used them and had deer not bust me but that’s happened when I didn’t use them too. I do shower with “scent free” soap because if I use Irish Spring even I can smell it. I try to keep my hunting clothes clean and away from cooking odors and scented candles (candles are banned in our house during hunting season). And yes, I do my best to have the wind in my favor but deer sometimes approach from downwind too.

Reactions: Dafis

· Registered
5,668 Posts
There is an odor blocker and it’s call scent thief. Like others I was skeptical I had a doe walk in my tracks to my tree stand and chalked it up to some sort of oddity with the wind.
But after numerous times I’ve had deer walk downwind from and in my tracks I’m convinced it works.
I have deer walk in my tracks all the time and only a couple times has a deer seemed to have any idea I’ve been through there. I’m not gonna get into any argument about boots but I wear rubber boots that are kept outside and I think they are the reason. I’ve worn them for 30 years for hunting because I must go through some water almost every time I go hunting.

Reactions: Dafis

· Registered
3,829 Posts
OMG, playing the wind isn’t an option everywhere, especially where I hunt. It blows every direction when you’re in a stand. Ozone does help mitigate your scent. I’ve had great success since I started using an ozone generator.
Thats rather commical to me… Middletown as in just south of Harrisburg? If so…. Come on man….. I can show you several large deer killed in that area from this year from people hunting wind… some indians hunted, others got firewood….

· Registered
3,829 Posts
I can show you tons of videos of does literally directly through the grating of my stand, underneath of me licking up my pee…. No scent thief needed LMAO.

come on man!

· Back down to ground level
18,528 Posts
Wash clothes and shower with baking soda, apply more as deodorant while in shower and don't rinse it off, just wet it a little so it's not gritty. I keep clothes in a broken freezer with 5gl paint strainer bags filled with pine,cedar,acorns,hay,weeds,and any other natural scents from where I hunt. I hunt on the ground with a ghil/leaf suit and can sit just about anyplace that has solid cover behind me to keep from being silhouetted. Have target bucks sneak up behind me within 10yds downwind. Some have come around 5yds to one side or the other, but some I spook by moving before knowing they are there. Even then they keep stopping and checking the wind to try to scent me. It works best earlier in the season when there is a lot of natural scents in the woods. Once all the vegetation dies in the winter, and they are more spooky, I try to find better concealment with a little elevation and pay more attention to the wind, picking spots where they are less likely to come from behind, but they still do.

· Registered
4,784 Posts
Hi,

i couldn't agree more !

Yep, I have a turkey down feather tied to the top limb on both of my bows. Some days it has no idea which way it wants to blow.
Ches.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts