Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard several things about archery but one of the best tips I ever got from a pro was
He said he never looked at shooting archery as work or not fun.
Said he enjoys practice.

Dean Prigdon told me that. The man is 66 and still shoots daily and says he enjoys just as much today as he ever did. To me that just makes good sense.

Whats the best tip a pro gave you or good archer.

Nathan Brooks keep it simple rule is another good one.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It was last year right after Gene Curry won the ASA Limited Pro class at the Classic. We got a picture with him and he told my buddy's son (never give up! if you make a bad shot forget it and make the next one count.) I have remembered that and it has helped me too.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My late wife Cathy was not a Pro but she spoke the best words I have ever been told... She reminded me EVERYTIME I got upset at my shooting or lost a match and I use it as my signature and always will.....Pro1

"This is supposed to be fun, or have you forgotten that?"

·
Registered
545 Posts
Excellent advise Pat. Seems lately I have forgotten that. I am going to try and get back to shooting that way. Everything was so much easier just having fun.

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree

I ask Dean how he won all those years and it was such a easy answer, it was never work. It was fun shooting anytime and still is today. If your not enjoying it your not going to shoot good thats for sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
great topic. thanks for posting.

one of my friends is a fantastic compound shooter. (she won worlds in w va a couple of years ago. ) she's having a ball with archery. she even shot a local tournament with her longbow recently. guess i'm also saying, "keep it fun."

sandra:cool:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Just shoot one arrow at a time and only concern yourself with the arrow you are shooting...

To paraphrase Al Henderson..

-CG

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Dean Pridgen

At the Nationals I joined Dean's squad on the second day. At that time I was about 50 or so points behind him and Don Kudachleck. My thoughts were, how am I ever going to be able to make up the point difference.

On the third day I shot my best ever score on a field round and was still way behind on the track. Dean also shot his best field score ever on that day.

Going into the fourth day I shot a good score for me, and Dean just kept marching ahead and never looked back.

I had a problem on the fifth day and I told Dean "I am having a problem on my shooting, I keep falling out the bottom. I would like to discuss this with you when we are done." He replied "go ahead and ask me now, no problem, I will do what I can to help you. We discussed my aiming procedure and he felt that I was paying to much attention to my level, and not aiming. I forget the level and started aiming and started hitting spots on the animal round.

My point is, Dean is a person that will do everything he can to help those shooting against him. This is the sign of a real gentleman. Thanks you Dean, it was a pleasure to shoot with you.

Alaska Sam:D

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alaska Sam

Dean said he enjoyed visiting with you on the range. I think archers helping each other is what its all about. I had so many tell me that Dean has helped them over the years. This is what true champions are, he is no doubt one of the nicest guys you will ever find in archery. I know from here and the range there are lots of good folks in this sport. I look forward to meeting youand others here in the future.
His aproach to the game is one of best I have ever seen.

D

·
0 Posts
from JOE KAPP or maybe BOB WEBB...

...can't remember now, but I have it scrolling across as my "screen saver"...

>>>--->: Every arrow is a ONE ARROW TOURNAMENT...make it your BEST SHOT!!:cool: ...

...may be like CLEVER_GUY says...a paraphrase of Al Henderson...

...from my Father a PROfessional Farmer: "Son, I'd rather have you do the job half slow, then to do the job half fast" :) ...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
i forget who said these, but here it goes...
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" this helps a lot when if you think something went wrong with your equipment, or something you think gets bent, shoot it, and you will be glad you didn't mess with it because it is all ok, no prob. i have to tape this on my wall in my room, lol!

another is, "shoot your equipment, and shoot it your best. don't worry about who has what, if they shoot good, good for them. but how they shoot or what they have doesn't matter. if you shoot good with your equipment, even if it is not great, who cares. just shoot it, and show all of the others what they have comming." we all need to hear this one, lol. don't get a good piece of equipment cuz ur friend has it, just use what you have. :)

well that is all i have heard. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Wouldn't that be defined as the point, glued into an arrow, which pierces the paper, for a final X of a large tournament, deeming that pro a winner? ;)

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Not from a card carrying Pro, but the man, IMHO was a true professional anyways - - Bud Clifford from El Dorado Hills Bowmen in Sacremento, CA once told me this: (parpahrased)

"If you shoot your personal best regardless of your placement, you are still a WINNER. If the person you want to beat doesn't shoot well at all and you beat them that day, you haven't won squat and shouldn't think so either. You want to beat that person when they have shot well, not when they fall apart or on a bad day. Remember to always be the first in line to congratulate the winner."

When I finally did beat Bud, he did shoot a great round and I had a personal best - - and Bud was right there to congratulate me and give me the pat on the back. He ALWAYS found something positive to say about everyone's shooting, no matter what the score. Things like - -"Man, you shot a 3X 20 on that 40 yarder! Hell, I only had a 1Xer on it - kicked my butt, didn't you?"

Dean Pridgen:

1. "If you have ANY negative thoughts at all, even when stepping up to the block to shoot, you are going to shoot a 4. So, back off and start completely over anytime any negative thought enters your mind."

2. NEVER quit during any round you are scoring on unless the bow comes completely apart. You must learn to tough it out during scoring no matter how bad it gets. If you ever quit, then you have subconsciously taught yourself that you can just fold up when you are having a bad day, and use that as an excuse. You will then find yourself quitting more often and making more excuses.

field14:D :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Advice From a Pro.

I got some advice from a pro, once. He was a pro in off road racing. His advice carried over into my total outlook, in everything I do. He told me to do the best you can do, every second you are competing. The competition is within yourself, not against the other guys. If you don't win that day, it wasn't your day, THAT DAY. Tommorow may be your day to win, don't EVER give up.
I realized while I was talking to Walker Evans at the World Championship Off Road Race, the guys we look up to are just like us. They don't have super-human powers, and they don't see themselves as some sort of God. Most outstanding athletes see themselves as ordinary, everyday people, who have made all the right choices, and it worked out well.
I had a man approach me after winning a race one night. He told me he had been watching me, and noticed I had a very relaxed composure when it came to talking to the other drivers, helping them out, and signing autographs for kids. He pulled me off to the side and told me I had been winning everything, and setting fast time at all the tracks I went to.To those other drivers, and the kids in the stands I was a hero. That's funny, I didn't feel like a hero, I'm just an ordinary guy. Everything just seems to be coming together for me.
For all the pros on here, please take my advice. You are admired by a lot of people, they are watching you. When you post a reply, you may feel like just an ordinary guy, or gal. Your advice is taken as the word of God by some, so be careful about criticizing others. You are a role model, wether you see yourself as one, or not, it's part of being successful. Some people will critcize you, accuse you of cheating, or do anything to ridicule you, because they can't beat you. You have to let those comments fall by the wayside, and stay the course. There are a lot of good people on here, always looking for ways to improve, and reach the top of their game. Hopefully you will keep your good advice coming for those people, they do truly appreciate it !!!

Ok, I'll step down off my soapbox now.

DB, keep the great threads coming !!

·
Occam's Razor
8,313 Posts
It wasn't archery advice, but it very much applies to archery.........."practice until it becomes like TYPING, no thought at all, just do it".........

Now some of us at least have the typing part conquered........now for the archery.......:D

The single best course I took in High School was Personal Typing,........I still remember the drills, juj,juj,juj, juj,juj....drd,drd,drd,drd,drd, etc, etc,etc,......:D

I think archers call it "blank bale" .......:D .................ck

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
...you're only competing with yourself.

Everyone gets caught up in the equipment race in EVERYTHING! Just because your bow is only 200 bucks...you can shoot just as good if not better than those with high dollar rigs.

Consistency is everything...you could have the worst form in the world but if you can repeat it time and time again...you can still shoot amazingly well.

My grandfather said that...and he is one of the most respected people in my life. He's more than a grandfather...he's a great friend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts