Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Trying to choose an oversize range target for my backyard range (I have safety constraints in place to avoid sky-shots and misses). I plan to put a lot of broadheads into it as I like to practice using what I hunt with on a relatively frequent basis. Not all that worried about price, if it buys value and quality. The target will be kept in an enclosed structure and won't be exposed to sun or rain.

Looking at targets in the 48"x48" plus size category and hoping everyone could provide some feedback. I tracked down a few old posts, but it seems like there are some new products on the market.

American Whitetail / ArcheryTargets.com - Ballistimat - 50"x50"x20", 300lbs - $599 plus freight
Bulldog - K9 Archery Target, plus series - 50"x50"x15", 130lbs - $539 plus freight
Block Range Target - 48"x48"x18" - $950
Solid Rock - Need to call regarding size options, seems like they can build whatever size I ask for - ???
Blob Targets - Big Blop - 40"x40", 250lbs - price largely depends on freight, likely around $500

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
I have a blob 40 x 40 and I got it for $90 by picking it up in Georgia. I can't believe it costs $400 to ship it. I get 2,800 pounds on a skid trucked for $150 every couple of months. You might wanrt to look into a 3rd hans set of 48 x 48 skins for $25 and build a rag target, you will need to build a cover over it. I have one in my shop, good deal.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
Sand pit for broadheads & cardboard deer target will be your cheapest & safest way to shoot broadheads.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
kballer, you beat me to it !

two snow fence posts 10 bucks, a half load of sand 50 bucks, a roll of tie wire (life time supply) buck-50, free cardboard box from the grocery store, steal a couple clothes pins from your wife. thread the tie wire through the clothes pin springs and tie the ends to the snow fence poles to hang the cardboard.
grand total $61.50. works as good as any 500 dollar target. and you cannot wear it out. the only other cost will be a new set of blades for your broad heads to hunt with.....you'd have that with any other target, too. you could get fancy and build a 3 sided box with 2x8's to contain the sand so add another 10 or 12 bucks.
the club I belong to, has a 28 target course for a summer broad head league and 4 on the practice range set at 20-30-40 and 50 yards made with bunkers like this and they work great.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,561 Posts
Matrix.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
You will also need a tooth brush to clean the sand off of your arrow & broadhead. Add another $2.00 Total $63.50.

·
Registered
903 Posts
What kballer1 said.

Broadheads will destroy Layered/block foam in fairly short order, especially since you plan to shoot it on a fairly regular basis. (please don't ask me how I knew that....:mad:)

So unless you don't mind buying replacement target/blocks regularly. I would suggest the sandpit method.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts