Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vortex RF is giving me problems. Lots of blank shots. And lots of different shots. Like a 35 yard target I’ll get anywhere from 33-40 as a reading. The closest it will read is 20. So I’m looking for accurate. Don’t too much care about BDC. I’m also teaching my kids to use one as well so it would be nice if it would read at 7-10 yards.

What’s y’all’s preference or favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
Subscribed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Check out the Sig Sauer kilo 850, fast, accurate and measures to 1/10 of a yard, has a black readout. You can get one new on ebay for around $130. If you need a red display the Leupold 1200 is sometimes on sale for $250. I have both and they are great units IMHO.
If you are willing to spend more, the Sig kilo 2000 or 2200 would be the way to go.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Leupold RX1200 TBR DNA "DNA" is the algorithm Leupold used to obtain the correct distance on targets of various texture/color, and "TBR" is the angle compensation feature. When I first got mine, I verified it's accuracy ranging paper, light colored foam, dark colored foam, and a trees at multiple distances. It was accurate within 0.6 yards (22 inches) 100% of the time, and within 0.3yds (11 inches) 90% of the time. 100% satisfied with it and I use it year round for hunting, 3D, and Field archery

(sidenote: the Leupold RX1200 replaced a Sig Kilo1250 that would not read some dark targets at all, and was consistently off by .8 yds)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard good things about both. Definitely gotta get a different one. These multiple choice readings I’m getting is for the birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Between my Leopold and vortex I'm always using the vortex. It could be an issue with yours, might be worth calling them

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
870 Posts
Leupold RX1600i TBR w/DNA is the replacement for the the old 1000 and more recent 1200 version mentioned above. I love(d) my 6-year old RX1000i TBR w/DNA. Great archery hunting rangefinder, plus I must have shot thousands of construction distances around our house build and landscaping. A month or two ago the red readout started to partially fail so I called Leupold knowing it was long past the 2 year period. They are sending me the latest 1600 replacement at a very fair price. Looking forward to getting it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I love my Leupold rx 1200 tbr dna. Very consistent on all target materials. My brothers vortex is just as good though. You should send it in to Vortex for a replacement. Their warranty and service is second to none.

·
Snafu
1,420 Posts
I had a Bushnell 1300ARC and it was very accurate. I really liked it BUT at 30 yards and closer it struggled trying to read 3D targets. I picked up a Leupold 1600 TBR w/DNA and it has no problem at all with short range 3D targets.
Both the Bushnell and the Leupold have Angle Range Compenstion (ARC) to help with elevated shots.
Both also have rifle profiles. The Bushnell had about 5 different rifle profiles and I could create a couple more custom profiles. The Leupold Has about 150 profiles included and you can create several rifle profiles.

The Leupold is one of the best accessories I have ever purchased.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a sig kilo that has been excellent- my vortex was great out of the box, but really seemed to struggle with 3D targets (particularly if they had any glare to them). The sig has been great, works super fast, and I dont think I have had one instance of it not providing a distance, even when friends rangefinders have not been able to get a read, either due to glare or branches in between them and the target. The sig of course will still misread if you have a branch between you and the target, but the laser seems to be smaller- I can move a little and get a distance. The laser shouldn't broaden substantially over reasonable distance, but for whatever reason, I can still get good readings through tight brush and cover with just a little adjustment when others just cant seem to get a read.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts