Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi fellow bowhunters, i'm another newbie to this forum! looks like some of you know what your talking about!
i was wondering what is the best release for the D-LOOP? :confused: i will be added a loop to my string and don't want to have to shorten my draw length if poss.
i will use for bowhunting only.
your sugg. and comments are appreciated. thanks.:) :)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I like the Scott Little Goose or Rhino. The Rhino is loop only, while the Little Goose I keep for a spare will shoot off the string also.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
scotts are hard to beat for caliper style hunting releases. i have a scott mongoose that i use for hunting. their new ones also look pretty cool. easton94

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
This topic made me think about the first release I ever used ..was called the Bow Lock and I tried it with my recurve hunting bow...48lb... Cheetah Standard made by American Archery..compounds weren't out yet. That release cured me from trying another until about 4yrs ago.
This is the release...

http://www.archeryhistory.com/releases/releases.htm

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
I love my Carter One Shot release. It is as crisp as my target releases but offers the convienience of a wrist strap for hunting. Try one if you can I am sure you will like it. DCM

·
Registered
275 Posts
Most anytype of release will shoot off a D-loop. I would recomend, however, that you recheck your draw length, and in fact shorten it if you do decide to use a loop. With a loop, there are in fact two critical components to draw length: First, the distance from the throat of the grip to the apex of the string at full draw and Second, the distance or add on length of the loop. Most loops are 1/2' to 3/4' in length. By experimenting with BOTH of these DL components, you will have more success with the loop. I shoot a scott and it is also important to adjust the barrel so the back side of the DL is not too long and you can reach the trigger without having to cup you had.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I hunt with a Carter Fits Me. I can't stand the hair triggers on the Scotts, but I suppose some like them. Made me afraid to touch the release. My theory is that index finger triggered calipers hurt archers worse than they hurt the deer. :)

·
Banned
17,974 Posts
What type of release?

For hunting, I really am in like with the TruBall Short-n-Sweet, but for target, I gravitate more toward Tru-Ball's ultra extreme or Carters insatiable.

There are certainly a lot of great releases on the market; that makes it sort of tough to choose for me.

For target, fit, smoothness and good adjustability are my foremost concerns; however, for hunting, i like adjustability and quietness.

------
Indychris

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have to agree with Javelina...I have both the little goose and rhino and love them both...cannot decide which I like better...go back and forth.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
For hunting purposes, the Tru Ball Short N Sweet cannot be beat. It will negate most of the draw length you will lose due to the loop. The trigger is very crisp, and has almost zero travel.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I use the TruBall Tornado. This caliper release opens dead center in the middle, with both sides "giving" at the same time, instead of the "gated" types of releases that open from one side and create torque. This offers a cleaner release, with much less wear on the loop, especially with a rotating head which the Tornado also has. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
made my choice--again!!

first i thought i would go with the little bitty goose, but then after some good info from Olink, and with other replies, i will go with the short & sweet---i like that i won't loose any draw length, and have a hook instead of a capilar design. thanks to all who replied!! :D :D

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
The Short-N-Sweet is an excellent release. I've been shooting it since early spring and even had the chance to bag Turkey with it. I loved it then and now after shooting it all summer long in the yard and on the 3D range I love it even more. An excellent choice. Make sure you let us all know how well you get along with it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
loop release

Looks like I'll be going to a string loop soon.
I can't decide between the Tornado with a loop master head, or a Short & sweet.
Has anybody tried both of these, what do you think. I'm also looking at the Tornado/loopmaster/glove, any thoughts on the glove ?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Anaconda,

My TruBall Tornado is two years old, so it may have been updated. The barrel, though adjustable, does not shorten as far as I'd prefer. Other than that, it's a great release and may fit your hand and technique perfectly. The Short-N-Sweet will be my next release. It will adjust shorter and the head and trigger placement is the best for keeping your anchor where it was when you hooked your release directed to the string.

·
Banned
17,974 Posts
IMO- Short-n-Sweet: Hands Down!

Anaconda-

I have used the tornado for a couple of years and picked up a Short-n-Sweet at the ASA shoot in Indiana this summer. I just don't think there is a compairson. I like the location of the trigger better, and I like the ease of which it connects to the string. It even seems to release more smoothly.

I bought the buckle strap so that I can make sure I use consistent placement.

-----
Indychris

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Scott Mongoose or Little Goose

1 - 20 of 27 Posts