Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Complaceny Breeds Failure
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for advice and ideas on a seat cushion that I can pack in for all day sits during the rut.

I have some comfortable stands, however, after multiple days of all day hunts, my butt and lower back start to feel the effects.

I have seen the cushions made by Hunt Comfort like pictured below. Anyone here have any feedback on them? They are a bit pricey, but if they work it will be money well-spent.

I'm open to ideas or maybe a product out there that I have yet to notice.

Thanks guys!

-NSTRUT

·
Beer Whisperer
10,882 Posts
I've not found just a pad that really does much good for those really long sits so I've been using an older Trophy Chair from Summit in place of the "stock" seats on some of my cheapo stands. The arm rests seem to really take the load off the ol' back. Only problem is it doesn't fold up out of the way to shoot but the newer model does. The Millenium seat looks like a good alternative though it doesn't have arm rests. I have one Millenium stand and have sworn to myself to buy more and get rid of some of my crappy back breakers.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had a terrible time with comfort when turkey hunting and couldn't sit still. I bought the hunt comfort "fat boy" (not the lite edition!) and haven't had a comfort issue since! Pricey yes but money well spent in my mind

·
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've not found just a pad that really does much good for those really long sits so I've been using an older Trophy Chair from Summit in place of the "stock" seats on some of my cheapo stands. The arm rests seem to really take the load off the ol' back. Only problem is it doesn't fold up out of the way to shoot but the newer model does. The Millenium seat looks like a good alternative though it doesn't have arm rests. I have one Millenium stand and have sworn to myself to buy more and get rid of some of my crappy back breakers.
You are one step ahead of me. I agree with your post 100%. I have a Millenium Tree Seat for turkey season and it is very comfortable.

However, what I am looking for is something I can pack in and use with my existing treestand set-ups. I have 11 stands out right now. I can't afford to just jump in and replace all eleven stands, so I'm looking for an alternative.

The Hunt Comfort Fat Boy looks nice, but I'm afraid it will be too big to fit the seat on some of my stands.

Anything else you guys are using? I've even thought maybe making some myself out of memory foam might be the ticket.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hunt comfort .:thumbs_up. Two buddies each have one . Very nice . I'm going to invest in one myself . They have the Fat & I'm going with the lite.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm on Mossy Oak Pro Staff and have been to couple trade shows working at the Hunt Comfort Booth. It is the best seat you can buy. Most of the "tv" guys use them. They have a smaller version with starps to use for treestands.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought one of the smaller hunt comfort cushions (Climb-On model I think) and thought it made a big difference. It was expensive and heavy compared to the size of it, but worth it in the long run. I have found that seat size bothers my back as much or more than the amount of padding I use. I think the longer the seat the more comfortable, so I try to set my stands with the longest seats where I am most like to stay the longest. I can't stand to fill like I am sitting in a straight back kitchen chair all day!

·
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the Hunt Comfort is the way to go then. The only other seat cushion that has caught my eye is the Gerbing heated seat cushion. I think the appeal for me to that one is just merely because of the heat and really nothing to do with the cushion. Most likely wouldn't solve my problem for long sits. I have to say it does get some rave reviews though.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Good luck finding one, just checked on-line and just about everywhere seems to be back ordered.

·
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck finding one, just checked on-line and just about everywhere seems to be back ordered.
I noticed that myself. May have to go with another option for the time being.

·
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BALL UP AND BE A MAN:wink:
Kinda funny you should say that because I kinda was feeling the same way.

BUT, I don't wish back pain on anyone. Nothing can make a grown man whine like a teenage girl worse than a bad back.

I'm only 36, so I'd like to preserve my fat arse and back for as long as I can so I can continue to hunt each year.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I know it's gonna sound a little cheap but this is what we do on these stands. We buy the nylon fish netting from the hobby store and weave it between the seat although there is no back to it we also found some foam and made our own backrest. very simaliar to the netting that gorilla using. Seems to work good and cost efficient. Just opinion to save on money.

·
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know it's gonna sound a little cheap but this is what we do on these stands. We buy the nylon fish netting from the hobby store and weave it between the seat although there is no back to it we also found some foam and made our own backrest. very simaliar to the netting that gorilla using. Seems to work good and cost efficient. Just opinion to save on money.
Not exactly what I'm looking for, but a heck of an idea. Best thing of all about that is if it breaks or wears out, it will be pretty cheap for you to replace. It pays off to be creative sometimes and if it works, you are one step ahead of everyone else. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
anyone else?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
wow good topic. sat in my old loggy climber last night about 4 1/2 hours, back was cramping the whole time eventually ended up folding up the joke of a seat and standing

·
Registered
664 Posts
I am surprised there is not more input on this topic.
heck thre is a real need for a great solution to the sore butt syndrome.
I ahve hunted bear in Canada the last three years. i could have sold a couple of dozen each trip -
What makes a great cushion

Camo ?
Waterproof?
Light weight ? Portable ?
Scent free ?
Attach to your pants when climbing ?
Where it all the time? On and off the quad to and from the stand as welll as sitting on the ground -
This may be the next great "must have" for gear and gadget junkies.

I know I would buy one or more !

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
do what i do, i stand until i get tired, then i sit until i get butt cramp. then stand again for a while. but im used to standing in spots for long periods of time. so it seems easy for me to stand up for 4 hours and not move.
HS strut makes a air pad to sit on for turkey hunting. heres a link. its inflatable and it pretty darn tough. i used one for turkey hunting all the time.
http://hunterspec.com/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=100&categoryID=50

Tony

1 - 20 of 35 Posts