Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am thinking about upgrading my sight, I use a true glo, with .019 pins, and its okay, but what I would like to know does spending the money on a good sight make you a "better" shooter? or a more consistant shooter? I am intrigued by the IQ sight, but i am not sold on them yet.

Also when you extend the sight away from you, what are you gaining?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
11,802 Posts
Hey guys, I am thinking about upgrading my sight, I use a true glo, with .019 pins, and its okay, but what I would like to know does spending the money on a good sight make you a "better" shooter? or a more consistant shooter? I am intrigued by the IQ sight, but i am not sold on them yet.

Also when you extend the sight away from you, what are you gaining?

Thank you in advance
if you shoot well with your current sight, spending 100's of dollars on another will make you still shoot well

·
Can't wait for September
3,822 Posts
Buying a better sight won't make you a better shooter. Having the sight farther from the riser makes the pin clearer and easier to see, kind of like holding your finger out a foot from your face and trying to focus on it and the backdrop vs. holding it out 3 ft.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
even without the retina lock feature, the new IQ sight is a solid performer.

I tried the sight at the shop, shot a few shots, got it set up.. and had to get it, its not "better" then any other good sight out.. but the retina feature, really helps when making shots that arent on the range..

take a walk on a 3D course with funny angled shots, and see for yourself ;)

·
Can't wait for September
3,822 Posts
eaglearchery.com has some screamin' deals on Tommy Hoggs right now, and as always, it's free shipping.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I switched from .019 to .010 pins a year ago,that helped me.

I think a sight with really good pins can give you an advantage.

I'm bias with BlackGold Copper John and PNP

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
The main benefit to extending a sight away from a bow is to get more gap between pin settings. You can spend a ton of money on sights and rests and it won't guarantee anything, except a lighter wallet. Now a better made sight is more user friendly if it has the right features for your type of shooting. Cheap sights are usually made of some marketing B/S they make up to mask the fact-they are plastic! Tighten the pins a couple of times and you will get grooves in the pin tracks, not easy to work around once it has happened. Look for a all aluminum sight, stainless steel bolts, and enclosed fiber pins. You don't have to spend tons of money, Trophy Ridge, Sword, and some other models make some lower end sights that aren't bad for around $100 on E-Bay. Cbe, Spot Hogg, and Montana-to name a few, make some lower end sights that are very good, plus they also make some high end sights if you want to go there. Sights are one of the few things that spending more will actually get you more- to a point, but don't get caught up in the marketing hype. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buying a better sight won't make you a better shooter. Having the sight farther from the riser makes the pin clearer and easier to see, kind of like holding your finger out a foot from your face and trying to focus on it and the backdrop vs. holding it out 3 ft.
I never thought of it that way

·
Registered
860 Posts
I bought a sword hunter in the classified section for $60. I ordered two .010 pins for 40 and 50 yds. That smaller pin provides better accuracy when a .019 pin hides your target. Aluminum also holds up better to bumps in the stand. So high end sights won't "make" you a better shooter, but they can improve your accuracy when utilized appropriately.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know about a sight making you a better shooter, but a high end sight like a Spot Hogg Hogg it will give you one less accessory to worry about failing. The gear drive adjustment leave nothing to come loose or move on you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My spot hogg-it is worlds better than my TR punisher I had before. Micro adjustments and being so solid did it for me. This thing is strong and the. 010 pins made a noticeable difference in my accuracy.

·
Making it REIGN
3,794 Posts
I use A Sword Apex 3rd plane on my hunting bow. Sword has great fiber optics and priced well to.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
does anyone know the distance between the holes on a riser for a PSE? I was thinking about making a sight extender.... Ill probably just buy one, but its fun to think about for a while

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
does anyone know the distance between the holes on a riser for a PSE? I was thinking about making a sight extender.... Ill probably just buy one, but its fun to think about for a while
1.312" (1 5/16") between holes, #10-24 threads per inch holes (on the bow), all bows are supposed to be the same regardless of brand. Cheers--BB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts