Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some squirrels in my back yard I want to practice at but I'm not sure which small game broadhead to get. What do those little spring legs do on the judo or whatever? Are they meant to go through a squirrel? I saw one that you put on right behind your field point, and a hard rubber tip called the bludgeon, then theres the judo ones, or that G5 small game head. If anyones tried these which are the best? I just wanna have some fun with these squirrels but don't want to waste my money on something stupid. Thanks

·
Registered
954 Posts
G5 - SGH (small game head)

I use them on turkeys as well....head shots or nothing...the heads are tough, but if you hit something tougher (rock, root etc.) they will break....

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Wait you shoot turkeys in the head with them to? Or squirrels in the head?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've been using the ones with springs on them this year, they work great. The springs keeps the arrows from digging themselves into the ground.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I think I have tried most, the one I use now is my own. Simple but lethal!! The bludgeon rubber tears up to fast, the judo, keeps you from losing the arrow under grass but I hit several rabbits broadside and they run away leaving a very small blood trail. The muzzy is a knockoff of the judo, the G5 is the best in what it supposed to do. This is a do it yourself point: drill 2 holes in a field tip, I like the long 125gr. Crisscross the holes, one in front only a 1/32 or so in front of the back one. Cut a hex wrench, size?, I get/got mine from the package the scope mount rings come in. Find a gun shop and there should be plenty! Cut them only 1" to 1 1/2" long. I use the 1". The hex is 6 flat sides, so I drill the hole just a wee bit smaller and taper the end of the hex and hammer/push the hex half way in. When you are finished the head should look like an X. If I damage one of the hex's I just change it out, cost $000.15 each. Not losing any animals-priceless!:mg:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Great Idea There

I think I have tried most, the one I use now is my own. Simple but lethal!! The bludgeon rubber tears up to fast, the judo, keeps you from losing the arrow under grass but I hit several rabbits broadside and they run away leaving a very small blood trail. The muzzy is a knockoff of the judo, the G5 is the best in what it supposed to do. This is a do it yourself point: drill 2 holes in a field tip, I like the long 125gr. Crisscross the holes, one in front only a 1/32 or so in front of the back one. Cut a hex wrench, size?, I get/got mine from the package the scope mount rings come in. Find a gun shop and there should be plenty! Cut them only 1" to 1 1/2" long. I use the 1". The hex is 6 flat sides, so I drill the hole just a wee bit smaller and taper the end of the hex and hammer/push the hex half way in. When you are finished the head should look like an X. If I damage one of the hex's I just change it out, cost $000.15 each. Not losing any animals-priceless!:mg:
Nice idea....might take a little tinkering to get it right, but I like it....how do they fly???

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
for squirrels or such i just use a field tip with one of the star style lock washers screwed on behind it,,, cheaper than any head out there and that little ragged star edge can tear up some tissue,,,and you can experiment for size and weight for pennys

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread, any insights on a 100 grain small game head?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I use the Bludgeon tips. I've killed pretty many Fox squirrels with them. Aim for the spine and they are dead on the shot. It breaks them in half. I have on two occasions, shot Fox squirrels and they laid there for a bit then picked themselves up and scampered off, those were not spine shots. The best thing is that your arrow almost never slides under the leaves and is easy to recover.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've killed them with field points and blunt tips. I just aim for the head.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts