Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my local archery shop that I have used most of my life went out of business about four years ago. I have since tried two other shops in the area and I am not particularly happy with either of them, one is a knowledgeable gentleman but he works full time and does archery work in the evenings so working on the road I have trouble linking up with him when I'm home. I have since started building my own arrows but I'm thinking about buying a new bow and would like to set it up myself. I am looking for your opinions or links on books/videos that will be a comprehensive guide for me as to what tools I will need to install and square my sight and rest as well as a how-to on string serving and installing a peep & string loop correctly. I've installed sights and various rests before but since I'm going from the ground-up I might as well learn the correct way w/ a square and level. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

·
Bowhunter
5,160 Posts
LeEarl has a DVD that shows a lot

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1152022&highlight=leearl

send him a PM or read about what he includes.

I learned by building a bow press, calling Mathews to find out the right pressure points for my bow, and used the Easton Tuning Guide to get where I needed to be. I build my own arrows and set up my bow completely now. Faster than usiing a proshop and I am sure to get a good quality tune.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The dvd's in that post are great. I have one and its a great resource

The biggest thing to know is how to be safe while working on your bow, (pressing, etc). The rest I have learned on videos on the internet, and trial and error, and there was plenty of error before I got things how I want them.

I think the biggest thing is just taking the time to learn. A mentor is great, but there is enough information out there for a guy to be dangerous when it comes to working on bows, and I mean that in a good way.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
NewMC,
I'm certain you can find most topics on you tube. I have been doing all of my own work at home or friends house forever. The only archery specific tool you'll need is a press. Other than that it's how fancy you want to get.

If you have any questions, PM me and I'll gladly help you out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
bowtuningtips.com has some good information as well as huntersfriend.com as far as reviews and things to think about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, these sites are awesome, I'd never found bowtuningtips.com before and this guy is great. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts