Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering which state would be the best to visit to see and get a shot at BIG Elk??

A mate an I are coming over there next year to see if we can get one :D :D

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
Aussie, look at all the rocky mountain state's fish and game websites and look at harvest info and regs. Some states are harder to get tags for and some states may require a guided hunt for non residents. In any case, if you haven't hunted the rockies, that would be my suggestion. Hunting with a guide may make it a little easier for you if you are coming all that way.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry buddy. You might have a chance at a real nice specimen if 1. You have been applying for years to a good area in AZ. MT. NM. or CO, among a few others. 2. You have a really good friend with prime land to let a pal kill a record size bull. 3. You get here and buy a license for a general area and become the luckiest mate around.

To answer your biggest elk question, Arizona and New Mexico without a doubt have some of the largest elk in the world (wild of course).

Good luck

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hooking up with a fella in Oregon for a couple of weeks. Are there big elk there? I've heard yes and no :(

By the way Tooth, I hear that your gunna come over here and get a whipping next year :wink: :p :p See you there :p

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I believe AZ and New Mexico to have the largest elk. Colorado has the most, along with some big ones. Nevada, Utah and Idaho also have some nice elk. And then there's Montana. AZ is mostly public land, but it took me 9 years to draw a tag there last season. New Mexico is mostly private land or draw for limited access areas like the Gila. Colorado has some over the counter tags, and some draw tags. Without a long term program of applying, a private land hunt in New Mexico would probably be your best bet for a big elk.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
You heard wrong Aussie, it will be me that is doing the whipping. You can't honestly think Olddog is gonna best me do you? :D I will be shooting in the high 540s or low 550s, he is going to have to lay off the bundy and get lessons if he thinks he is gonna whup me. :D :D :p

Oregon has plenty of elk, they are just not noted as a trophy elk state. There are big elk in every elk state, just not an easy thing to get.

I have seen some monsters here in Idaho.

I would rethink your goal, to maybe harvest a nice 5 or 6 point bull. That is indeed a worthy trophy. You dont really need to shoot a boone and crocket bull to have a sucessful and wonderful hunt. There are nice sized 6 points in any of the rocky mountain states.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bowhuntrrl. What would use suggest is the best for a public land hunt??

Tooth,

Yeah we're not looking to shot any record elk, but I'd like to see some. Any Elk would do me for my first.

As for you beating OD, that maybe true (he's too old anyway :p ) but there are a few of us others that we give you a good run for your money (which may end up in my hands :wink:

·
Registered
548 Posts
yes Orygun has some big bulls but they arent quite as abundant as other states such as AZ and MT. really depends on where you are at. any ideas as to where in OR youll be hunting?

·
Registered
238 Posts
How much money do you have? The bigger the elk, the more money it's gonna cost. Generally speaking of course. I live in NM so I'll give you a little info on our state:

NM reserves roughly 20% of its elk tags for non-residents. The high quality areas (Gila for example) tend to produce big bulls with high success rates. Of course, you will have to apply with 10,000 other non-residents for those 20%, therefore your chances of drawing a tag are not necessarily good. It could take you years to draw a tag, it could be only one. I'ts the luck of the draw so to speak.

Landowners will get guaranteed tags which, of course, they sell. Anyone (resident or non) can buy them. Good areas with high numbers of elk, you can be looking at anywhere from $3-$8,000. Depending on area, guided/non-guided, amenities, ect. ect. for a bull tag.

Here in NM there are a few indian tribes (reservations) that offer elk hunting as well. Typically they have a 90%+ kill rate on good size elk. They also start around $5k plus you have to hire a guide (required). No high fences or anything, all fair chase.

If you just want to get out and hunt, not necessarily in the greatest of areas, you can find archery tags for $700 give or take. The price goes up as the quality of the area gets better. You will still need to pay the non-resident fee though on top of that ($720 I believe).

You can either try your odds in the draw, or pay to play.

You can go to each state's Game and Fish website and normally get info such as harvest reports, drawing odds and landowners who have tags.. www.wildlife.state.nm.us is NM's website. Sorry man, this isn't Australlia. :wink: Good luck!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh and I forgot, Colorado has OTC tags. No drawing required.

I've heard some areas are really tough though, but if you work hard there are some solid elk in these areas as well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oregan Shooter, not too sure where abouts we are heading. I think it was soething like Devils Canyon our something along those lines :confused: .

Raceguy,

The way our dollar is compared to yours I couldn't afford a guided hunt :cry:
I'll just have to try my luck in the draw :wink: :p Much easier to hunt over here, you can just about hunt anything without a tag or a guide :p :p

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
Aussiebowhunter said:
Thanks Bowhuntrrl. What would use suggest is the best for a public land hunt??

Tooth,

Yeah we're not looking to shot any record elk, but I'd like to see some. Any Elk would do me for my first.

As for you beating OD, that maybe true (he's too old anyway :p ) but there are a few of us others that we give you a good run for your money (which may end up in my hands :wink:
Aussie,

Record elk are not very common anywhere really. Some states have more than others. But it still isn't an everyday sight. OBT is hunting elk in Oregon too. :D Read up on elk hunting as much as you can and get in shape!!

Well, if they put it in your hands, then you best have at it. :D

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
Aussiebowhunter said:
What's Montana like?? My mate has a friend there too :)
Steep and deep dude, like Idaho. Granted there are some mellower places to hunt, but still may seem steep to you. It is a beautiful state to hunt in.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mountains hold no fear for me, my mate on the other hand................ :wink: :) We're young an fit :D :D

I always like hunting in beautiful areas so Montana may be the go, unless anyone else has some suggestions??

·
DefiantShooter
10,949 Posts
Over the Counter.........

Or draw...........I'd look at a landowner tag for New Mexico!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts