Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what was referred to as a hard Arkansas stone (I think) when I got it 30 something years ago. I keep it clean but it has developed a small bevel or indention over the years from sharping knives. I can get a broadhead pretty sharp but not scary sharp with it. Not really shaving without quite a bit of effort. I would rather not buy a sharping system but just a stone that would put the final touches on it. What stone would put the sharpest point on it.

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
If you can already get the broadhead sharp you just need a strop and some polish

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,921 Posts
I use one of those Triangle chock sticks across my 3 blade VPA's....works great.

You can get them at Sharpening Supplies on the web for something like $10

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can already get the broadhead sharp you just need a strop and some polish
Can u think of a household item I could try as a strop; I don't have a leather belt. I have some tanned deer hides but I don't think it would be very smooth.

·
wolfey
4,135 Posts
Can u think of a household item I could try as a strop; I don't have a leather belt. I have some tanned deer hides but I don't think it would be very smooth.
Cardboard or paper glued to a piece of wood works well. Get some green polish for final stropping.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
A piece of plate glass or a cast off piece of a granite countertop with sandpaper on top will work. You can use some spray adhesive to stick the paper down to the surface and work up through automotive sandpaper. Stropping is generally for removing the wire edge that's created from previous stages of sharpening.

Ceramic stones can put a polish on the edges. But with a 60 degree angle, getting them to shave as cleanly as a shaving razor or sharp knife won't happen, even though the edges are super honed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts