Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'd like to build my first string for my 25" Win Win ATX with 36# Long limbs that I pull 43.7 Lbs OTF at my 28.75" draw.
what is the best string material for me?...8190F ?
How many strands should I use for max speed and still have forgiveness?
Don't like creep.

I figured on Halo servings. I'll use .014 on the ends, and .019 or .021 for center for my McKinney nocks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that tip.
Is 8190F the best choice for Olympic Recurve?
It seems to be the newest material and I don't see regular 8190 listed on the BCY website anymore.

·
Registered
20,330 Posts
kyudo -

Odds are good you'll never notice any difference.
IOWs, there is no "best" choice.
I use D97 + #4 nylon.

Viper1 out.

·
Pronounced like 'RC Cola'
1,305 Posts
I've shot 8125, 8190 and Angel Majesty. Didn't notice a difference between any of them except the sound. I liked the sound of 8125 so that's what I've shot the most. In terms of score and sight marks, very little difference. The amount/thickness of my center serving changed things the most.

·
GIS guy
1,722 Posts
I've been very happy with my 8125G bowstring. It's faster and quieter than the 452X string I had before. Less shock, way less fraying. I see no need to change to something more exotic.

-Kent W.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I've used 8125 and 8125G for ages now and always liked it. I do find its getting a bit waxey now though. The last couple of spools I bought had far too much wax on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
BCYx .. this just absolutely rocks. It's impossibly quiet. I can't conceive of ever wanting to shoot anything else.

From the builder's website www.recurves.com .....
"BCY-X
2-Bundle** - $??? per string
3-Bundle** - $??? per string
"All the benefits and performance of 452X and 8190 combined. 83% SK90 Dyneema - 17% Vectran - Patented Construction. Approximately 1/2 the diameter of Dynaflight '97, similar in diameter to 8190. 18-20 strands
works great for most draw weights. Excellent durability, practically no stretch or creep, very quiet. Made from the highest quality Dyneema available."

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I prefer 8125 because with the recommended strands (18) it easy to get good nock fit with .18-.20 serving

8190 calls for more strands and to get good nock fit I need .14 HALO and that doesn't wear as well as .19 HALO, and is harder to find. I find the performance to be about equal. I also use D-10 which is the successor to D-97. Its also known as FORCE 10 and now is marketed as a high performance string for modern crossbows put its pure Dyneema. You use less strands (14) than the 8125 or 8190 which is why I use it when I have to make a string in a hurry since its easier to get the strands at even tensions.

I do not like Vectran blends for recurves.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of this is great info and is much appreciated. I've picked up a lot.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have been shooting 36-47# recurves 16 and 18 strand 8190f with good success. I have shot 8125G, BCY-X, B55.

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
I prefer 8125 because with the recommended strands (18) it easy to get good nock fit with .18-.20 serving

8190 calls for more strands and to get good nock fit I need .14 HALO and that doesn't wear as well as .19 HALO, and is harder to find. I find the performance to be about equal. I also use D-10 which is the successor to D-97. Its also known as FORCE 10 and now is marketed as a high performance string for modern crossbows put its pure Dyneema. You use less strands (14) than the 8125 or 8190 which is why I use it when I have to make a string in a hurry since its easier to get the strands at even tensions.

I do not like Vectran blends for recurves.
Hi Jim,

School me - what about Vectran blends do you not like?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many strands of 8190F should be used ?
How many if 8125 ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a note:
8125 is pure Dyneema
8125G has a small amount of Gore as filler to make the strands larger.
8190 has gore for filling property.
8190F is Dyneema without Gore and is essentially the exact same configuration as Fury.

·
sometimes reality hurts
3,480 Posts
I do most of mine out of 8125G, 18 strands unless the archer wants more distance. shown a little love occasionally it is a very hard wearing material.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Hi Jim,

School me - what about Vectran blends do you not like?
harsher feeling, harder on the limbs-especially if you have a nock break and you dry fire. They are heavier than the pure dyneema and are a bit slower. Their main grace is in compounds where stretch=loss of timing. Not an issue on a recurve bow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts