Archery Talk Forum banner

Best Target Bows?

2K views 40 replies 35 participants last post by  karday 
#1 ·
Hello everyone -- I was thinking of purchasing a very good target bow and wanted to hear opinions on which ones you think are the best...then I will head to a pro shop and feel them for myself. I am really serious about competition archery, so any suggestions?

#2 ·
sounds like your trying to start a good argument :wink: :mg: but i would have to say the mathews apex, hoyt also makes some great competition bows, but its your choice :p

#6 ·
I personally prefer the shoot through systems. Martin makes several different Nitrous-X cam bows the RazorX is probably the best in their line. Dave Barnsdale and some others produce shoot through systems also. You can also get shoot through cables for some dual cam bows.

#9 ·
Best Target Bow

Rob put up a pretty comprehensive list and I agree with him. Personally I don't think anything quite compares to the 2005 Barnsdale Classic X. It is a slightly deflexed riser with a lot of brace height and can be had in a wide range of axle to axle lengths to fit the archer perfectly. The Tri-Star wheels are like having your cake and eating it too. Shoot through with no spreaders or you can use a cable guard. The Tri-Stars pull like butter with a solid wall and nice valley yet are surprisingly fast for a wheel bow. For any marked yardage venue, you would be hard pressed to find a better shooting bow. This bow has produced 2 National Outdoor Championships and the Pro Division Vegas winner in just the first two years of production. Made in America by Dave Barnsdale.
Jbird

#12 ·
I agree nothing compares to Dave Barnsdale's Classic X when it comes right down to it. Combining Dave's custom limbs, with a shoot-thru system and a proportionally larger top string groove, Dave has created the ultimate target bow. It is perhaps the most consistent and most accurate bow I've ever shot.

#16 ·
Don't overlook the low brace height short axle to axle bows that are fast becoming favourites to many top target shooters.
Ther were almost no bows over 8" brace height at the World Target, most were under 8"
My picks would be
Bowtech Patriot, Alligence, Old Glory or for long draws the Constitution
Mathews Switchback, LX, Conquest 3 and Apex
Hoyt ProElite or UltraElite

Remember that for outdoor target speed is important. You will almost always have drift of some kind and speeds wins when it comes to drift. (ok actually energy wins, keep a heavy arrow)

#17 ·
PSE Mach Pro Target
PSE Shark
AR34
Hoyt Pro Elite
Hoyt Ultra Elite
Merlin Supernova
Mathews Apex
Bowtech Constitution
Barnsdale (any of them)

these are just my favorites.. and also the ones that you see the most. except for the Barnsdale, which is an indoor bow mostly.

im pretty sure you couldnt go wrong with any of these bows. ;)

#19 ·
Wb323,

Though picking out a bow is personal preference, I have shot a few of the top line bows and keep coming back to the fact that Merlin has it all. 'Specially with the new 2006 line available shortly (see http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=216032).

Merlin target bows have proven to be amongst the best with many wins and high national rankings by Merlin shooters everywhere. :wink: :thumbs_up

JMHO.

~Scoobs~

#22 ·
Hoyt Ultra/Pro Tec , Ultra/Pro Elite... one of those would be my first choice... right now it is an ultraelite... but what one depends on what game your are playing...

#23 ·
Oneida Pro Eagle zero reflex riser smooth draw, and a construction that gives all the benefits of shoot through without the wide spaced cables.

#24 ·
McPherson Bishop - great axle to axle length and plenty of brace height. I am at 7 7/8" brace height and almost 40" axle to axle with my gun metal silver Bishop with the hurricane cams. The picture below has stats for the KinetiCam.

#25 ·
Bishop

What is the published IBO speed with the two different hybrid cams?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.