Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for opinions on target specific bows for women. I want to get the gf a straight target bow. 23.5" dl 40-50lbs she's 5'2 im not quite sure what ata would be best.

She's currently shooting a mathews jewel but imo that is really more of a hunting bow.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
and if that is your GF in your avatar tell her I said hey.:tongue:

JK -----------------------------------------------------------------------but really tell her I said hey:wink:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
With smaller framed shooters you really have to be mindful of mass weight. Most shooters like a particular ratio of holding weight to mass weight.

What is commonly thought of as a "target" bow is a longer a2a bow with a larger brace height. When you put everything in proportion for a smaller framed shooter, I don't think they need a 40" a2a bow with an 8" brace height.

At her draw length, I would say anything over about a 32" a2a would be fine and 7" brace height is more than enough.

The real key is that SHE is comfortable shooting the bow.

Others above have given a few suggestions. For what it is worth, wife is shooting an Elite Spirit and really likes it.

Mitch

·
'13 KTM 450 SX FE
2,267 Posts
Another vote for the PSE Phenom SD, great bow and priced right

·
Registered
51,088 Posts
Let (her) pick out the bow don't surprise her she will hate it
Agree 100% with this. Never ever pick a bow for anyone else, YOUR not shooting it.
Now a suggestion for HER not you LOL PSE Phenom.
As far as what she is shooting nothing wrong with that, change the color and now you have a target bow LOL.:wink:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Lots of women shooters I know are shooting the chillR

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Let her pick it.

My wife (5 foot nothing) has shot everything from Mathews Apex 7's to PSE Bowmadness XL to Hoyt UltraElites and Pro Comp Elites. And if she shoots the Jewel fine, let it be.

She needs to decide what works best for her.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Let her try different bows. Phenom SD gets my vote. I shot it when I was younger and my mom who is 5' 2" 23.5" dl 37#dw shoots it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She decided herself she wants a target bow. There are no shops around to buy bows. I'm just looking for suggestions and we will go over them and she will decide what she likes best. Not my first rodeo.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Hoyt hyper edge or pro edge might be a nice fit for her. You might try posting in the women's forum. The ladies over they can probably give you a better answer then us guys

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My wife shoots the Phenom to but the ME version. She has a longer draw length 27". She loves it and shoots some great scores in k40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Imho there is a big difference in performance from a pro comp elite fx vs phenom sd. Couldn't put my finger on why the SD dosent shoot as good but my daughter 5' tall shot the FX way better. Sucks though because I could have bought two SD'S for the price of one FX.

The FX is a heavy bow! So this could be a factor until she gets used to the weight. My daughter shoots with about 5 or six oz's up front and 15 or 16 oz out back so it's not so heavy a woman can't work up in weight.

I'd also probably go with gtx cams over spiral unless she shoots a lot. Gtx cams have a bigger brace height and have a slightly less aggressive feel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts