Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best way to touch up replaceable blades? I have Lasky sharpener with the stones, but I use the typical Smith hand-held broadhead sharpeners they sell with the "V" in the end. It looks like this:

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Those "pull-through-sharpeners" got mostly two tungsten carbide or ceramic(s) panels, which is to each other fixed in a certain angle. This angle corresponds only in the rarest cases to that of the blade, which you want to sharpen.
This tool works thus metal chip removing and produces a thin, first allegedly sharp burr on the very edge, that however will lay aside or break away completely at the first contact with tough materials.

Of course it's better than hunting with a dull blade but these devices are an absolute makeshift and the result has nothing to do with a professional sharpening.
You should by the way also save your high-grade hunting knife from this torture.
All useful sharpening devices offer an adjustable and to all reproducible sharpening angle.
Most sharpening devices of considerable manufacturers such as LANSKY, DMT, GATCO, SPYDERCO, WARTHOG and identically constructed models are suitable very well, in order to help with expert hand of a used blade to a hunting adequate sharpness.

I prefer the Spyderco Triangle-Sharpmaker.
Sorry, I cannot tell everything what is all about real good sharpening because of my little English. Maybe a professional knifemaker is somewhere here in this forum to explain it better what I mean.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
A little homeade jig with my Razor Sharp Systems. It works without fail.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I use a bench mounted jig that I made and diamond stones frrom there I go to a leather hone and sharpen even new blades.

In the field I have a ceramic stone with the angle set so two blades a sharpened at the same time on one side, by turning the broadhead after each stroke both sides of every blade is sharpened.

I think the stone was made by Tru-Angle and works great. I have resharpened pass through in about 5 min. to much better than factory new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts