Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a trail camera and wondering what you guys / gals use.

Looking in the $200-$300 price range.

From the reviews the "Scoutguard SG550" seems to be one of the best in the $200 price range.

Some reviews or recommendations would help.

Thanks

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
I have been researching and looking also and so far the Bushnell Trophy Cam stands out as the best. It is the same as the Scoutguard, but with a better warranty I believe.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I agree, imho go with Bushnell trophy cam over SG 550. Better warranty, and better set up. Love my 1 year old SG, but hate having to use the extremely frail external remote to manipulate cam. Plus my SG is technically not weatherproof , where the trophycam housing is said to be. Will be buying a trophycam on cyber monday. Lowest I seen so far is 170.00 anyone knows a better deal please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a moultrie 4.0 infrared camera. it was only 200 bucks and i love it more than my cuddeback no flash... you could even get the 5.0 and gain another megapixel for another 30 bucks too.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Bushnell Trophy Cam stands out as the best

got 2 they are great batteries last forever. if you use lithium type in cold weather they will last few months i never new it but, cold weather wont drain lithium batteries like reg. ones AAAAAAAAAA+ HERE

Attachments

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Check this thread out...... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1004162

Lots of good reading. I have been through quite a few cameras and the WGI cameras are proving this year to be as good or better than any. Bass Pro has the IR4 model on sale for $80 and if you so the mod that I described in the link I posted, they have better battery life than any other camera running on alkaline or lithium batteries. After the cam, batteries and the odds and ins you need for the mod you can buy 3 of them for $300. And it only takes about 20 minutes to mod them.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information guys!

·
Registered
250 Posts
PM Sent

Send me your email address and I'll send you some of my trail cam pics from my 3 scoutguard 550's. Check out the video quality! Rodney

·
Registered
514 Posts
http://chasingame.com/index.php?id=1

Check this site out, lot of good independent info here. I would think about what your gonna do with it. You can get a little less expensive cam that will take good pics but has a little slower trigger time. That would be good on some sort of bait.

If you want one on a trail then trigger speed is pretty important.

I use cheaper cams on corn. Most have flash instead of IR but most deer don't mind. I have occasionally got 1 maybe 2 pics of some older bucks and that was it. I think they didn't like the flash. All in all I think most deer don't mind.
I have two Moultrie 5.0 mp with flash that they had on sale at Cabelas for $99 bucks and can send you some pics from it if you wish. Good battery life and good pics. Always on corn though.

I also bought on of those 1.3 MP Wildgame cams from walmart for 50 bucks. like everybody says battery life aint great but you can hack them with a bigger battery. Pics are amazing for this 1.3 cam.

I also have Wildview 5 mp and it does alright except whiteout issues every once in a while. $89

I Use some cheaper cams cause if they get stolen I aint out that much $. I would highly recomend looking into those cabelas model moultrie cams. I get about 2-400 pics every other day. I have had them running almost continuously for 2 years without a hitch. Thousands and thousands of pics. You could get two for the price you wanted to spend. I don't think trigger speed on those are that bad either. Just My .02

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,364 Posts
Picture from my Wildview. Works good for the money & easy to set-up but lots of choices out there.

You can get about 3 of these for under $200.00 so you can scout more areas, just a thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
Check out the Monarch cam listed in the classifieds. It is nearly identical to the 2010 scoutguard and there is a great AT sale price.

Brian

·
Registered
281 Posts
any cam can take good pics. its what the cam misses/doesnt see quick enough. a lot of trail cams have slow trigger speeds and wake up speeds. it might get one pic of the amimal on the far side of the picture right before it leaves the fov (field of view) where as if you got a better cam it would have taken more pics as it walked across the fov. also it depends on where you plan on setting up your cam, on a trail or over a bait station. dont want to bash other cams but a fair amount wont catch stuff walking by on a trail.
check out trailcampro.com and chasingame.com
my choices would be first if i had the money 1. reconx then 2. spypoint 3. bushnell
i have couple busnell's and love them great on battery life, small. the downside is they dont make there own cams they have someone else make them, thats where scoutguard and coverts are also made. does it matter no, just me. my next one will be another spypoint.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I've tried quite a few along the way and found the Cuddeback Captures to work excellent with a extremely fast trigger and excellent picture quality. The Scoutguards are very nice if you like video over scrapes or bait piles but the triggers are slower as is the Bushnell. I'm really excited about the new UWAY cams that should now be available as i'll be getting a few very soon, it has everything you could ever want in a cam under $300 but i wish it had Cuddies trigger speed, but 1.2 seconds isn't the worst! UWAY is a new camera being offered from the same guys that offer us the Scoutguard (HCO), i can get you just about any camera though if you want to send me a pm.:wink:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'd get three Wildgame Innovations IR-4 cameras for the price of one $300 cam. Don't get the camo case model though as they don't seem to perform as well as the black cased ones. Fast trigger (1.25 to 1.5 seconds), nice quality photos, good range, small, easy to use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts