Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just got a Bitzenburger dial-o-fletch jig and am now looking at buying a feather chopper, specifically the 3rivers little chopper feather die cutter. It comes in RW, LW, and with attachments for all different types of fletching. I traditionally have used shield fletching, but only because I love the way it looks.

It occurs to me I don't really know the best uses for fletching types, or if RW or LW really makes any kind of difference other than the way the arrow spins.

Can anyone provide insight into this?

Here is a picture of the fletching types supported by the chopper:

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Most all you have shown are identical in purpose, as their profile is more taste than anything. The only exception is with the high banana. It has a higher and larger profile and is a bit slower on distance than the rest. Whether even that is enough to matter is probably not.

Like shape, RW and LW is a preference thing as well.

Just pick the one that appeals to you.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
They all have virtually the same “use”…as far as they serve the same purpose. Some cuts are louder than others…so they may serve well for practice…but I wouldn’t hunt with them.

Choppers allow a slight height/length adjustment…so you can play a little with flight/sound/speed characteristics…but “perceived” differences could lean towards being subjective, and that’s okay too. Personalization adds that deeper measure of interest in one’s pursuit…priceless.

I used to own a few different choppers, now I have 3 feather burners (...they work for both left/right wing feathers). I say just go for it…got to start somewhere. Enjoy, Rick.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which ones are louder rick?

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
I'd buy the one that you think looks nicest. I like the looks of shield, so that's what I use.

The loudest of the styles shown should be a big shield cut feather. The trailing "point" is probably the culprit. I have found that in comparison between parabolic and shield, the shield cut is indeed slightly louder...when brand new. Once the feathers get a little wear on them the soften up a bit, and at that point I don't really hear a difference.

If you want to minimize noise, use the smallest fletching in the lowest profile you can get. Tune your arrows well and you probably don't need much fletching, especially if you aren't shooting broadheads.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Which ones are louder rick?
Even with a whole line of people shooting…no arrow sound has turned my head faster than when I heard tall banana cuts. Actually, it stood out from the rest just like one arrow I’ve been shooting lately, that has a large chuck out of the middle of one fletch. In both cases the arrows just scream “INCOMING”!

It was probably 20 years ago when I started to see a rise in banana cuts…and some people swear by them…but in my experience it been more like swearing at them. I suppose height, length, arrow weight and/or materials would all be variables to the equation…but I’m really not interested enough to explore the subject at depth.

I, too, favor shield cuts…but have parabolic’s on most of my arrows…’cause I’m not one to pass on a satisfactory deal when it comes along. (I have an unmentionable number of shafts in another room.) Enjoy, Rick.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Yes, if noise is an issue, stay away from the high banana. Downrange, they sound like a helicopter coming in.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've tried the 'traditional' cut once, and it too was quite loud.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Tradtional and p&y cuts can be pretty loud. The main issue is their height. I make that style of cut out of 5inch parabolic sand they are not overly noise at all.

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
I've tried the 'traditional' cut once, and it too was quite loud.
Tradtional and p&y cuts can be pretty loud. The main issue is their height. I make that style of cut out of 5inch parabolic sand they are not overly noise at all.
In complete agreement here. I forgot that I have a chopper for Pope and Young cut (Traditional). I tried it once and the arrows sounded like little fighter jets all the way to the target, never used it again.

·
Registered
855 Posts
image.jpg as you can see these fletchings both look cool and are not noisey. These are cut from a fairly low profile parabolic fletching.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Usually noise is caused by height more than shape. Higher feathers are louder.

BTW the little chopper doesn't come with various adapters. You buy a complete chopper for every shape and wing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts