Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
One bubble off...
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to upgrade my cold weather base layer for this season to Merion Wool.
That being said, I am looking for the best value out there, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Embrace The Suck!
1,954 Posts
I don't know if this is an area you want to look for cheap.....value yes, cheap no. You want quality and comfort above all else.

I have Icebreaker and Ulfrotte, and have tried the smart wool stuff. The icebreaker wins hands down. It honestly doesn't feel like wool.

The good thing about wool is that it takes a very long time to start smelling, it is warm even when wet (if the wind can't get to it), and it lasts a very long time. The bad thing is that it takes a long time to dry. I run a capilene layer over a wool layer to help draw out the moisture.

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
I don't know about value, but I have some Justin Charles tops and bottoms in light/mid and heavy weight. By far the best base layers/long underwear I've ever had. I keep it for hunting and it's going to be a long time before I wear it out, if ever...

·
Wah310
281 Posts
I have used the icebreaker, ibex, and smartwool in the past. I would recommend against the ibex. Didn't have very good luck with it and it didn't seem to be made as well as the others. Still use it but the pants have holes in them.
The icebreaker is an awesome base layer and so is the smartwool. I will be trying out the ullfrotte this year as a midlayer over the icebreaker.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just got Smartwool microweight 1/4 zip top and microweight bottoms for elk hunting. They look and feel nice, but I haven't tested them outdoors yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
filson wool sweater with a cotton thermal under
Well you might as well have been waring a plastic bag as a shirt!

Wool is great because it BREATHES. Cotton soaks up moisture and stays soaked until you take it off. So if you ware cotton under wool, gor-tex, dry-plus, or anything else that is supposed to breath your doing yourself a disservice.

Please go out and buy one, just one, breathable polyester or wool long johns, basically anything made of 100% polyester or wool. You will feel better... I GUARANTEE! :)

I have learned this over the years in the outdoors. Never... never ever... put cotton underneath a breathable layer. You pay a heck of a lot of money for those wool or gor-tex suits, you might as well use them as they are intended.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I will throw in a vote for Filson. I have a heavyweight sweater that i wear over the long john top, a very warm combination. Filson is an old company that has some very high quality stuff.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.