Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using gold tip fletching glue on aae vanes. They just dont want to stick to the arrow. Whst type of adhesive do yall use?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I use Loctite Ultra Gel Control super glue for fletching. With AAE vanes though, most seem to have better luck using the AAE primer pen and AAE glue, which is why I don’t shoot them. AAE vanes just seem to be a little more finicky. With any vane or glue, proper prep of the shaft and using a small amount of glue is of paramount importance. Make sure you’re cleaning the shaft well with denatured alcohol or at least a 91% alcohol just prior to fletching and don’t use too much glue.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The AAE vanes have an activator on the mounting surface that requires the AAE Primer pen for proper adhesion.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've used the Loctite Ultra Glue Gel for years and its worked great with my AAE EPs. I recently tried Gorilla Super Glue Gel and I'm really liking that too. Never used a primer pen or adhesive promoter. Wipe my arrows with acetone and the vanes tear apart but dont come unglued when I grip them with a pliers.

I literally have no idea what I'm doing.......ever.

Reactions: huntforfood703

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Need the pen. Best adhesive I have used is Bob Smith maxi cure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Gorilla Super Glue Gel. Nice container that keeps the glue useable after storage.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have glued AAE vanes with gold tip glue using the primer pen with no issues

The Easton primer pen also works for me

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Gorilla glue gel super glue, has yet to disappoint me, cheap and easily sourced at your local stores.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked on aae website and the primer pen is only for MAX vanes and plastifletch. I'm currently using hybrids

·
Back Yard Champion
30,489 Posts
I'm currently using gold tip fletching glue on aae vanes. They just dont want to stick to the arrow. Whst type of adhesive do yall use?
I've used Bohning Platinum with AAE vanes for years. I clean shaft of old glue, not even a shadow showing. I scuff with Scotch Brite. I wipe base of vane (AAE and others - not Bohning) with paper towel soaked a bit with denatured alcohol. Same with arrow shaft, wipe with paper towel soaked a bit with denatured alcohol...... Hey, soaking wet is okay as it dries in seconds............

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is what I'm using right now and I dont know if I've used a better adhesive. It dries flexible, not brittle and white looking like normal liquid super glues and I've had great success without needing a primer of any kind. Just prep the shafts (1000 grit sandpaper and wipe with acetone). Dries pretty quick but I give it a good 24hr to reach full cure. Only thing I hate is the metal tube it's in. 😤

·
Registered
778 Posts
When out of max bond I have used a q tip with acetone to wipe the vane like a primer pen and used the loctite ultra control gel with good results except had one vane out of maybe 100 just fly off while shooting

·
Registered
485 Posts
i don't use aae vanes but the npv arrow cement has always held my vanes to the wraps i use. if it does get stripped off it's because of a good hit and the wrap comes with it.

·
Registered
24,593 Posts
I bought a pack of AAE Hybrid vanes, but have not done anything with them after reading so many posts about bonding issues and primer pens. Blazers have been my primary fletch for most of the past decade and I have had zero issues using either G5 Blu Glu or Bob Smith Ind. Maxi Cure. This winter I messed around with some Q2i vanes and they held well with Bob Smith too.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Gorilla Super Glue Gel. Nice container that keeps the glue useable after storage.
+1. I lay a Bohning wrap, hit the AAE Max Stealth with the primer pen (both AAE and Easton work) and Gorilla blue super glue. No issues, Iron hold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts