Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up some victory rip xv arrows, 350 spine, 24" long, with a 100 gr broadhead. I ran the numbers through archers advantage for my specs and everything is fine spine wise, but my question is, I need/want to add 200 grains In inserts so that I have a total weight of 300 grains up front. Inner diameter of the shaft is .204. In this diameter with gold tips fact system the heaviest weight I can get is 20 grains. What is the best way to add weight?

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
You're going to have a hard time getting that much weight up front without using a super heavy broadhead! You can stack up the weights but 15 of them stacked together will have alot of the weight midshaft and take away from your FOC!

·
Registered
51,169 Posts
???????Why do you need that much weight up front???? That short of an arrow and that stiff of spine what kind of draw length and poundage are you shooting? You can get Gold Tip weights in 50 grain.
If your attempting to break the spine down why not just buy the proper arrow for the set up.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Ethics Archery stainless 100 grain .204" stainless insert is the answer to your question!

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,196 Posts
Try the arrow tubes at 3 Rivers.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
You can always double stack the Brass HIT inserts(75gr each) - that will give you 250 grains up front(including your 100gr point) but I agree with the other guys, not sure that kind of weight is needed up front. You can also use a Dangerous Game FMJ.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,808 Posts
When you add large amounts of weight to the point you need more spine. If you already had those arrows and where shooting them well with 100 grain points (lets say) then you just want to add more point weight that can cause major tuning issues.

So you would have to get a heavier spine IOW buy new arrows. If you have to buy new arrows anyway (IMO) just get a higher weight GPI arrow and then you don't have to look for specialized super heavy hunting points, that are many times more expensive and have narrower selections.

That said maybe you WANT a super heavy weight hunting point so if that's yer' goal fine. But I can tell you this the differences in penetration of an 450 grain arrow with 25% FOC vs an 450 grain arrow with 15% will be lost in the field..........it's more about total arrow weight than high FOC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts