Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to put the aluminum inserts in so I can try some different arrows in my bow later today. The inserts are really tight and do not want to go in.
They are easton inserts going in easton arrows both size 2013.

Should I just tap them in with a mallet? I thought they would go together a little easier. Thanks in advance

dave

·
Registered
571 Posts
I just start the insert into the shaft then set the pile end of the arrow against the floor (or any other rock solid, non-mar surface) & then push the insert the rest of the way in.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you're referring to the Replaceable Point System (at the "point" end rather than at the Uni-bushing at the "nock" end) then you will need to use some type of glue on them or you're very likely to leave them in the target material when you pull the arrow out. There's several different types of glue you can use, with hot-melt being but one of them. - John

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cant think of NAME but

the handiest gadget I have for building arrows, is something I CANNOT remember the name of or manufacturer.

It is a "screwdriver" type tool with the end of the shaft threaded to fit inserts and also has a shorter version that is actually a "tap" to clean out threads inside the insert or REtap if I mess them up.

Im sure you could make one too.

It is REALLY handy putting in inserts, IMO.

Thread the insert on the tool, add glue and shove it in the arrow. Lots of leverage on that wooden handle.

If VERY tight thought..the deburring isnt done right or enough or something. Snug is great.........tiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeght.....isnt, to me.

Wish I could find a link to that tool......drat.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

I did cut the arrows but left them full length. I figured after my draw becomes very consistent I could cut to the proper length. Since I did not cut them and I could not feel a burr on the shaft I thought they should go right in. Well I took a small piece of fine sandpaper and rolled it up to sand the inside edge. A couple or rotations of the sandpaper roll was more than enough for mos of the arrow inserts to slide right in. A couple were a little tighter. Of course I found this out with the insert 3/4 of the way in with the 5 min epoxy trying to dry on me. I did manage to get them all the way in before the glue set though.

Any rec on keeping the points from unthreading from the insert. I was thinking Loc Tite since it is made to hold until forced ie wrenched.

I saw that tool in a catalog or website recently. I can't remember which one but if it works might be worth getting one.

Thanks again.

dave

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
dkard wrote: "Any rec on keeping the points from unthreading from the insert."

"Blue" Loctite will work..... another solution is to put string wax in the threads. - John

·
Registered
816 Posts
Keeping points tight

Pure bees wax works well, After a couple of shots the melt in the threads and they are set.

Or which to right helical that'll keepem tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts