Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really want to scrape alot on the carbon shafts. What are some less harsh ways of removing fletch tight glue? Maybe some sort of cleaner or solvent or something that won't damage the arrow? Thanks

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Try this

Try using a potato peeler.

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
This doesn't help your current situation, but for future shaft purchases this is my recommendation.

I'm following the advice of several members here. I've stopped gluing fletching directly to the arrow. I buy some inexpensive wraps and glue the fletchings to them. When a fletching is damaged you replace the whole thing - wrap and 3 fletchings.

Use hot water to loosen the glue on the wrap and the whole thing comes off fairly easily - and no damage to the carbon. I boil water in a pot and then pour it into an old wine bottle I cut the top off of in order to create a fairly low-volume tube that would surround the shaft with hot water. Works well. I think some people use hot air from a hairdryer to loosen the wrap glue. Once off, clean the shaft with denatured alcohol, re-wrap, and re-fletch.

There are lots of places to buy wraps, but a very inexpensive source is one of our AT members: Bowmanhunter. [email protected]

Or see www.bowmanhunter.com or do a search on EBay and buy from him there (he takes PayPal). I bought several dozen wraps from him and will go back for more when I start to run low.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Get an ez strip blade and work it very carefully is the only thing I would reccomend...
I would also go the "wrap way" afterward,its so much nicer and your arrows will look better as well..
The hot water method works great on loosening up a wrap to remove it and once its removed if you have a sticky arrow, I use a plastic pad (like a brillo pad,only plastic) and peanut butter,works great...
Then mild soap and dry..... :)

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Steel wool dipped in acetone.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I could probably get in touch with a few kids I knew in high school that could sniff it off for you :teeth:

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
On my hunting and 3-d arroms I have always used a razor blade and never had a problem...

Hunting arrows are PSE comp pro 300's...

3-d arrows are Easton Navigators...

However it all depends on which arrow you are stripping all arrows are different...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Try a product called Goof-Off. Works great.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
glue/cement removal

I just use the old standby, my pocket knife. I cut away the fletching first, and then scrape away the glue/cement. One shaft takes about 3 minutes. Use a clean rag to wipe off shaft and inspect in good lighting as well as running my hands/fingers over the effected area. If totally clean w/no bumps of glue/cement, wipe down one more time and prepare to refletch.

Greg :p

·
Registered
890 Posts
Goat Tuff fletching debonder works really good. It's a little pricey for a bottle but it goes a long way. I use a Zip Strip tool for the majority, then the goat tuff for final cleaning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts