Archery Talk Forum banner

Best Whitetail Hunting Arrow

2618 28
What’s the best arrow out there for hunting whitetail? I just purchased a Mathews VXR 31.5 and I’m looking to switch up my arrow setup. Will be switching from GoldTip Pro Hunters. What’s the best out there? Thanks in advance 👍🏼
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
5,495 Posts

· Registered
3,827 Posts
I was using Easton Axis Match Grade and was very pleased but decided to try out the Sirius Apollo arrows and can honestly say with the current market, I will not be switching for a very long time.

· Registered
12,000 Posts
I've got nothing. You've been shooting better arrows than I've ever owned. Lots of good arrows out there, not sure they will be better than what you were using.

Reactions: southgaboy

· Registered
445 Posts
What’s the best arrow out there for hunting whitetail? I just purchased a Mathews VXR 31.5 and I’m looking to switch up my arrow setup. Will be switching from GoldTip Pro Hunters. What’s the best out there? Thanks in advance 👍🏼
Im shooting the Gold Tip XTs and they are awesome. Gold Tip makes great arrows. If the XT is good, then the Pro is better.

· Just thwackin' it.
7,463 Posts
Pick any standard diameter or smaller diameter arrow, in a medium GPI weight (or stiff spine in a light GPI weight if you want to front load them). Doesn't really matter what brand, but I would personally pick between Easton, Gold Tip, Victory or Black Eagle.

I think Gold Tip are probably the toughest, maybe a tie with Victory TKO series, but have some of the worst spine tolerances. Black Eagle have some of the better tolerances for the money, but are not the most durable. Easton is a good all-around balance of tolerances, duability and price, and are made in the USA. Victory has some great tolerances and durability with the TKO series... and they have a wide variety of prices because of their large catalog. I change arrows around a lot, but at the moment prefer Black Eagles. Out of all four, the weight tolerances are pretty negligible and most will be within 2-5 grains in a batch.

If you aren't shooting past 40 yards, standard diameter with the lowest straightness tolerances (.006 straightness) will work just fine. No need to break the bank. The tighter tolerance arrows will group tighter, but mainly at longer distances. If you buy shafts and fletch your own, you can spin them first and cut the wobbly ends off. The straightness tolerance value is actually of least concern... spine and weight tolerances are more important.

At the end of the day, they will all kill, and the above rant will get you small percentages in terms of accuracy and durability when you spend more money. Also, small diameter does not mean better penetration on animals... that broadhead up front is more key than anything.

· Registered
192 Posts
I switched from a cheaper Victory carbon arrow to the Victory VAP SS with the stainless 75 grain Taperlok insert/outserts. They hit hard and fly true. Penetration on my target is noticeably better than my standard arrows (plus these are 110 grains heavier).

They can be pricey, so it hurts a little when you lose one. I had one go low when sighting in at 80 and I couldnt find it. Saw it hit the ground right in front of the target and disappeared forever.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.