Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 kids I am looking to purchase bows. My 8 yr old daughter, and my 6 yr old son. My 10 year old daughter shoots the Genesis and loves it but it is a little heavy and long for my smaller kids. I was considering the Genesis mini but are afraid they will outgrow it too quick with a max 12 lb draw weight.

I have been looking at the Nuclear Ice and the Fuse Freestyle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
i would say the 8 and 10 year olds would probly be ready for a diamond razor edge that being said i dont have any experience with teh freestyle but the nuclear ice is an awesome bow
An 8yr.old with a Razors Edge?? No way man. My daughter shoots the Nuclear Ice,maxed out the draw cycle is very suprising. Really spits out an arrow.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I started my 6 year old out on the mini genesis. she grew out of it in a few weeks. not a good bow imho, especially if you want to shoot in the compound division. first off it doesn't have a wall so it is nearly impossible for them to shoot a back tension release. second if you want them to compete they cant shoot against recurve shooters and they simply wont compete with a real compound bow.

I switched her when she was 7 year old to the Hoyt Trykon jr.
she started out shooting it with the 20 lb limbs turned down all the way. The good thing with this bow is you can replace the limbs and move up in weight. you also have a lot of draw length adjustment.

She is now at the age of 9 shooting it at 27lbs

Here is a video of her shooting it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNlC-p22wXk

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
kids bows

I have 3 kids who own the following bows so if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me. Son-9, owns Razor Edge, Son-8, owns Mission Menace, Daughter-5, owns Nuclear Ice. My boys are shooting their bows fine but at the same time they could have just as easily been shooting the Nuclear Ice. The problem I find with the boys bows is that they are basicaly full size bows and they struglle with their bow arm to hold the bow out in front of them and keep it steady. Had I gone with the Nuclear Ice for them they could be shooting a compound bow made more to their size which would be easier for them to learn good shooting form. They Nuclear Ice goes up to 29# when at that point they would have good form, built up their muscles and then gone up to the Edge or Menace. The Nuclear Ice is very versatile. It can go down to a low enough poundage that my 5 year old can draw and shoot a decent group from about 4 yards by herself!
As another option Athens Archery has a new youth bow that looks pretty impressive on their website. Other than viewing it on their website I have no experience with it but the specs look and sound impressibe. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any other questions.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My boys started shooting the razor edge at 7, now is 8 and is maxed out at 30 lbs. will be sending it off to get the 30-60 lb limbs on it. I would buy a razor edge 15-30 lbs. I had a nuclear ice and didn't like it at all, seemed real flimsy and boy strugled with accuracy with it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both my girls 6 & 8 are shooting the Fuse Freestyle. The bow is awesome but the one thing they struggle with is the weight. It is suprisingly heavy compared to the Diamond NI check them both out they are both excellent choices.
Yes I was worried the Fuse would be too heavy for them. My daughter really struggled with the Genenis when she was younger and always complained that it was too heavy

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Nuclear Ice

I turned the weight all the way up and maxed the draw length and shot it myself as far back in my basement as I could go which is about 10 yards. I was able to consistently get a 3 inch group without a problem and without a peep. I was also impressed with the zippiness it shot the arrow. I have no complaints about this bow and you cant go wrong for the price. My boys bows were almost double the cost.

·
Bonehunter
8,873 Posts
I'm looking hard at the new 2010 Bowtech Soldier for my grand daughter. It has 22-29" draw, 30-60#, comes as a pkg with site, rest, sling, quiver, sts bout $400 - she is 12 yrs. old

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I was afraid that the Nuclear Ice would be too short and the accuracy would suffer?
I bought 2 Nuclear Ice bows for my kids for Christmas. The bows are great, easy to work on(no presss needed), light enough for all ages, and very acurate. My kids are 5 and 9 years old and have plenty of room to grow into these bows. The short ATA in my opinion is a plus and not a negative.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My boys are 6 and 7 both have nuclear ice bows very happy with the perfomance of these bows wish i had one of these when i started shooting as a kid I beleive when maxed out they are pushing 200fps ibo

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought 2 Nuclear Ice bows for my kids for Christmas. The bows are great, easy to work on(no presss needed), light enough for all ages, and very acurate. My kids are 5 and 9 years old and have plenty of room to grow into these bows. The short ATA in my opinion is a plus and not a negative.
Thank you very much for the info. I think I going to lean toward the Nuclear Ice vs. the Fuse.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.