Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard nothing but good things about this riser. Is there any way a lefty can experiment with one without having to buy it?

Oh, to heck with that...how can I just buy it?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I belive Alternative Services in Great Britain carry this riser. www.altservices.co.uk

I've dealt with this company with good results. Everything is done via the internet. As with every internet dealer, just make sure your order confirmation reads EXACTLY the item you want. If you just reply w/o checking and something comes that isn't what you ordered, return shipping to Great Britain is pretty expensive.

I too have heard good things about this riser. FWIW, it may or may not have limb centering adjustment.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
K-1 Archery also handle this riser. US company, but I'm not really sure where they're at. NW I think.

K-1 Archery

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Oops, Friedhelm's not gonna be happy I didn't mention his company. :embarasse

K1 archery is located in southern California, he's a great guy to order from. Carries a lot of stuff, and what he don't carry he can order. Shipping from SoCal is liable to be much cheaper than from bonny aulde England.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
Olsenck,

I have a contact for BEST that I will send you in a PM.

John.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
limbwalker said:
Olsenck,

I have a contact for BEST that I will send you in a PM.

John.
Thanks, John.

Testing recurve equipment can be a real difficult matter. It is hard to try before you buy, especially for lefties. So generally I just buy so I can try. Then try to sell it later if it does not work for me. This is a frustrating process at times. But I have high hopes for the BEST riser.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
As you know, I am very satisfied with mine.

It's not fancy, it's not necessarily "new." It has no bells and whistles or fancy custom anodized finishes. It has no limb alignment system (that some feel is an absolute necessity so they can continually fidget with it). It's not particularly light, or particularly heavy either.

But what it is is a very solid, no nonsense recurve riser that just plain works. At least, it's working for me.

I didn't want limb alignment issues, so the best way I could see to resolve that was to get a riser that didn't have that option, and put straight limbs on it. That's what I've done...end of issue. I wanted to shoot a standard plastic Hoyt Avalon grip, and the Best risers use those...end of issue. I needed a bushing for a backweight, preferrably in the right location and angle. Again, it had that too.

It's stiff enough and heavy enough for my tastes too. So, for someone who either doesn't have the time, or interest to fiddle with their gear all the time, it seems like an ideal solution.

As I've said before, I see it as an updated version of the older Hoyt machined aluminum risers...only straighter. ;)

I've been wanting to "retire" my Axis riser, mostly for nostalgia's sake. Put it away in storage along with the arrows I shot in Athens. Still think it's an outstanding riser design. Maybe the best ever. I don't know.

But after Athens, I wanted to experiment with other risers too. I shot the X-factor for several months, and placed well in the two tournaments I used it in. Real nice riser, and real innovative. Just not for me I guess. Never could get completely comfortable with it mostly due to the light weight and soft feeling.

So now I'm trying the Best risers, mainly for the reasons above (grip, backweight option and limb alignment "system" or lack thereof). The Zenit is slightly heavier and stiffer than their Mercury, but I think the Mercury is a better looking riser if that's important to you. I prefer the stiffer riser, so the Zenit is just fine for me. Since switching to it, I've had absolutely ZERO issues to contend with. I like that. Lets me focus on just shooting when I do get time to play with my archery hobby.

John.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Not that my credentials are nothing like John's, I do have a Zenit so I'll simply tell you about my experience with it (and I support every point John made).

I got my Zenit from K1 Archery and Fred was a good guy to do business with. I have the 23", which in retrospect was a mistake but it is make so nice a 68" recurve I can't bring myself to sell it. The finish is better than any of the Hoyt's I've owned, the machining is better than my Spigarellis and the wood grip is the most comfortable I have. I've used three different sets of limbs on my Zenit and they were all as straight as I am able to measure/see.

I am trying to justify buying a Best Zenit Barebow riser just because I like them, not that I need another bow.

Dave

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I purhcased a barebow version (removeable weights in the lower part of the riser) of the Best Zenit a few years ago from Alternative Sporting goods in UK. Upon examining the riser, I found one of the limb socket sides to be bent to the point of not allowing a limb to be inserted. I wrote Alternative, who was very forthcoming. However, my PO would not return the riser without examing it and charging me for postage, which was quite spendy going back to the UK (postage from the UK to AK was reasonable). Alternative has proven to be a good stand up company to deal with but my Post Office was an expensive pain. They didn't seem to want to send damaged goods out of the country for whatever reasons.

I thought the original Zenit wood grip was a bit big for my hands and sanded it down until I REALLY didn't like it. I'm currently looking for a Hoyt grip but can't find one out here in the sticks for some reason.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
AKRuss,

Good luck finding a Hoyt grip (LOL). I've had a wood one backordered through Lancaster for some time now. They (Hoyt) seem to be slow about producing just about everything (recurve related anyway). A while back Lancaster had the plastic Hoyt recurve grip in stock. You might check with them if you're looking for a plastic one.

Dave

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave T said:
AKRuss,

Good luck finding a Hoyt grip (LOL). I've had a wood one backordered through Lancaster for some time now. They (Hoyt) seem to be slow about producing just about everything (recurve related anyway). A while back Lancaster had the plastic Hoyt recurve grip in stock. You might check with them if you're looking for a plastic one.

Dave
I have at least 8 Hoyt plastic grips and 1 wood grip. All left handed, of course. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts