Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago, I shot a nice six pointer at 25 yards that was slowly walking along, and lost him because I hit him too far back. Sick as I was about it, I learned some important lessons as a relatively new bowhunter. One thing I realized was that even when they're walking at a slow pace a short distance away from you, that arrow is going to hit at least a few inches back from where you were aiming when you release the arrow. I realized an arrow is not a bullet, and you must make some sort of sound to stop that animal, or wait until they stop on their own. It got me thinking, you rarely hear of someone accidentally shooting too far forward. That's natural, of course, because everyone is aiming at the area behind the front leg, and that deer isn't going to walk, run or jump backward, so most mi****s are going to be toward the rear. Taking this into account, and not wanting to make that mistake twice, last year I stopped a decent buck, again at 25 yards, and aimed right at the top center of the deer's front shoulder, just to make sure I avoided the guts. Well, as luck would have it, I hit right where I was aiming, and with a 60 pound bow and 100 grain G5 striker, that broadhead blew right through both shoulders. Granted, the blades were roughed up, but intact, but they did their job, and I heard that deer crash in less than ten seconds. He made it no further than 80 yards. The blood trail wasn't the greatest, but his lungs were filled up with blood. I have to tell you, knowing I'm shooting a broadhead that will do that, I think I'm going to keep aiming a couple inches forward of the proverbial "pocket" that everyone aims at. I figure that even if I do miss rearward, the "mi****" will result in a perfect shot anyway. I guess you wouldn't want to do this if you're shooting a mechanical head, but with a reputable fixed blade, is my thinking flawed logic? It sure seemed to work last time.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
what if you aim where your talking and miss a little to the front???

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know. If there's not much in the way of vitals forward, maybe a recovery from their wound, rather than a slow death and potential lost animal from a gut shot?

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,168 Posts
When I gutted my first deer, I was no stranger to gutting other animals, but I remember being surprised how far forward in the chest the goodies were. That being said I aim for the heart not the shoulder. So I recommend to people trying to lay down your first deer to study the anatomy of the deer, but sometimes the pictures of organs, bones, and muscles can be deceiving, in real life all you see is fur, so it's important to know which hair to aim at. Also I'm not a fan of stopping deer by making a noise, letting them know where I am is just not part of my plan. I don't rule it out though for "desperate times."

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I lost what would have been my best buck to-date last year because I hit shoulder (further forward than I planned) and that was with a 72# GTO and a 100Gr Slick Trick. I will never intentionally shoot a deer that far forward. Given the option... I will always shoot lungs.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
Ill cheat back before forward. The important thing is to know that you hit back so you can give the deer the proper time to expire. Ive seen to many forward shots go bad. In bad I mean no recovery.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I'm aiming center of the lungs. This allows me the largest margin of error, and still be a killing shot.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Liver hits will kill a deer... Front shoulder will not... Give it time if you hit to far back.... you will find them...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I tend to lean more with bloodnguts and the other "forward" guys. There is something about that big ol' ribcage that makes too juicy of a target. I have never hit too far forward, but have hit too far back lots of times. When you study the anatomy chart of a deer, notice that the center of the lungs is closer to the front legs than behind them. When I hit behind the shoulders, I barely clip the back of the lungs and the blood trail is usually sparse. I also shoot a fixed blade 100 grain bh and have never had any trouble blowing it through the scapula. I guess if it ever happened to me on the really nice buck I would change my tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts