Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just joined the forum and I'm happy to be here. This will be my first archery season, so here's hoping it's a successful one. I had a question about something that's come up in my efforts to learn more about archery: bevel angle on broadheads. I've had some people tell me that a 60 degree bevel won't feel sharp but will still be effective on game. This doesn't immediately make sense to me, however, because a steeper bevel would be incapable of producing as fine of an edge, and thus as sharp of an edge, as a shallower angle. Am I missing some key bit of information, or are they truly not equivalent?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where are you getting this info from? most broad heads, with exception of high grain weight, are thin gauge steel .(04-.06). They are factory sharpened similar to a razor blade. So 60 degree would be very blunt.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Everybody has an opinion, mine is that a 30 degree single bevel Cutthroat works well. Sharpness is very important, thats why I shoot a broad head machined from tool steel and hardened with no moving parts, screws, pins, rubber bands, etc. I sharpen mine on a KME 30 degree roller type jig made from steel (not a fan of plastic). I only have to sharpen 2 surfaces, it's very easy, and these are very sharp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are you getting this info from? most broad heads, with exception of high grain weight, are thin gauge steel .(04-.06). They are factory sharpened similar to a razor blade. So 60 degree would be very blunt.
I bought some m3 broadheads, was underwhelmed by their out of the box sharpness, and emailed montec about it who told me they were 60 degree edges.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sharpen all of my heads and found that my Montec G3s were very dull even after sharpening. I can get a shaving edge on my Magnus Stingers, but the solid 3 blade G3 never seem to get sharp. I see that StaySharp has the 344 guide which will change it to 44 degree bevels using an curved surface. Watching their youtube videos on it, it seems to make 3 blades significantly sharper.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
VPA 3 blades are a combined 60 degrees . After some sharpening practice I can shave hair off my arm fairly easily. It took me a while to figure it out. I could never get Montecs as sharp as the VPAs. I believe its the steel they use not the angle. Ive never seen a sharp Montec.
Yes the broadheads with 20 or 25 degree angles will sharpen up easier and shave hair a bit better. But will they kill better than a properly sharpened VPA? I havent seen it. And Ive killed deer with both Magnus Stingers and VPA.
The Stingers might feel sharper when shaving hair off your arm. But the VPA has it all over the Magnus Stinger for toughness. And a non vented VPA is just about indestructible. There is more to a broadhead than just how easy they are to sharpen and shave hair. Stinger blades are easy to curl at the tip. They also have a weakness at the ferrule that solid one piece broadheads dont. Im not saying they aren't good (I killed my best buck with a Stinger) because they are.
But to the OP a properly sharpened 3 blade head with a 30 degree angle per side will shave hair and kill very well and have good edge integrity. I have shot VPAs through some aluminum window frames and not a nick out of the blade. There is a lot of material behind the edge. They are going to stay together.

·
Registered
Until I get paid to advertise my gear, I’m just gonna say I use telekinesis.
604 Posts
Many deer have been killed by a 60 degree 3 blade broadhead. That being said, they still need sharpened to get them real good. However, there was a pretty cool invention by Stay Sharp, with their 344 sharpener. This sharpening device is designed for 3 blade broadheads to change their bevel from 60 to 44 degrees. You will have a sharper cutting edge at that bevel, but still maintain strong edge retention from my understanding. But I'm also mildly [email protected], so take what I say with a grain of salt.

·
Banned
385 Posts
I think all one piece 3 blade heads are sharpened at 60 degrees included angle (30 on a side) VPA, Montec, Muzzy one, Woodsman, tuffhead and other heads without removable blades are only sharpened at 60 degrees and seem to function very well. I just watched a video where a guy sharpened a blade at 80 degrees (40 on a side) he made it very sharp. Look to youtube and search on "broadhead steep angle grinds" His channel is nothing but broadhead sharpeneing and angles of bevels.

Reactions: ThumbsMcGee86

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Many deer have been killed by a 60 degree 3 blade broadhead. That being said, they still need sharpened to get them real good. However, there was a pretty cool invention by Stay Sharp, with their 344 sharpener. This sharpening device is designed for 3 blade broadheads to change their bevel from 60 to 44 degrees. You will have a sharper cutting edge at that bevel, but still maintain strong edge retention from my understanding. But I'm also mildly [email protected], so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I saw that. Its interesting. There was something similar a while back on a mostly tradtional equipment supplier website. It was made with two files on a angled piece of wood. It was catering to the large following of traditional hunters that use the Wensel Woodsman. The device by Stay Sharp is much more refined.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Lots of big game has been killed with various bevel angles. That’s a fact.
I sharpen all my broad heads on a Lansky sharpener, at 20 degrees. Actually I won’t use a BH that can’t be sharpened to 20 degrees. In my opinion that angle or very close to that angle is quite a bit sharper than 30 degrees a or more. I’ve sharpened various fixed three blades and they are pretty sharp. But they’re not close to a 20 degree sharpness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts