Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is is without a doubt the strangest bow ever built. It is a Pearson Advantage built sometime in the early to mid 80s. I think it is something that came with Noah on the arc. At rest it has a brace height of about 4" but as you draw, the grip moves forward as the string is drawn backward. (In the pic the grip is unlatched and moved forward.) The resistance on the grip is designed to match the pull on the string, applying equal force to both hands while drawing. For some reason there is a funny hooked bracket that attaches to the grip and hooks over a post on another bracket behind the string. It is a PIG to draw and it is as heavy as the Titanic. A friend called me and asked me if I would build a string for his hunting bow and this is what he dropped off. The owner is around 70 years old and is the most phenomenal archer you could ever imagine. This old boy can just plain shoot!!!! and he does it all with equipment you or I wouldn't take on a bet.

Automan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
This is is without a doubt the strangest bow ever built. It is a Pearson Advantage built sometime in the early to mid 80s. I think it is something that came with Noah on the arc. At rest it has a brace height of about 4" but as you draw, the grip moves forward as the string is drawn backward. (In the pic the grip is unlatched and moved forward.) The resistance on the grip is designed to match the pull on the string, applying equal force to both hands while drawing. For some reason there is a funny hooked bracket that attaches to the grip and hooks over a post on another bracket behind the string. It is a PIG to draw and it is as heavy as the Titanic. A friend called me and asked me if I would build a string for his hunting bow and this is what he dropped off. The owner is around 70 years old and is the most phenomenal archer you could ever imagine. This old boy can just plain shoot!!!! and he does it all with equipment you or I wouldn't take on a bet.

Automan
We sold a few of those and it was around 1990-91 that it was built if I remember correctly.
The hook gets attached to a peg sticking out of that bar on the middle wheel and as you draw that also helped give you a little leverage to draw it
The bow would draw 100#, but with the mechanical advantage of that hook on the center wheel, it would draw like a 70#, letting up would be 100#
Be very careful building a string for that bow as it has to be perfect in length.
When you slide the grip to the rear and hook that peg on the wheel, it MUST disengage completely when you are at full draw. If it doesn't, the whole bow will slam forward into your hand doing considerable damage to both your hand and a bow that you will not find any parts for.
I doubt if I have any spec sheets around for that bow.
Here's some patent info that I saved a few years back when we were discussing who actually invented it.
http://www.google.com/patents/US4971020

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have owned a ton of bows since 1980. I don't remember that one. Maybe I blocked it out because it frightened me. Now I think it's really cool. Wish I could check it out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I remember those bows. super fast but didn't stick around very long, ive actually been looking for one so if your friend has any interest in selling it shoot me a message. thanks

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
That bow looks like a Stingray, laying on its side like that.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Never owned one, but shot a few arrows off of one back then when I was kid. Had some grass cutting money saved up and was looking for a new bow. Ended up going with a Pearson Spoiler instead. Was glad I did :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
it was built in the early 90's, it looks weird but mechanically was not really a big deal, you where basically shooting a 90lb round wheel bow, the difference is that the forward assist used your forward push as leverage so when you used it, it would read 60lbs on a scale, but without it, it would read 90lbs . It was around 46" A-A. The big down side was that if the assist arm didn't disengage you most likely would brake your arm

·
Banned
113 Posts
Well... If you cant shoot whatever your aiming at with it, you can sure beat it to death with the thing! Super interesting and ahead of its time for sure

·
Registered
668 Posts
Think it's pretty cool.
Wouldn't mind having one to hang I my shop.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I was working at an Archery shop when those were new..... Now I feel old.....thanks Automan

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I remember that bow when it come out pull like 60 shot like 90 so they said, Reeder of Suzy's archery in Keno Oregon had one.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That is really neat and from what you said about the 70 yr old owner, it sure would be neat to have an archery contest between him and this bow and some of our self proclaimed AT professionals and there brand new fully outfitted 2k plus set ups. If Pearson had the AT groupies that Hoyt does now they would be bashing Hoyt now saying that they stolen there truss riser ideal from this bow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts