Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season opened today and I still can't get bh and fp together. Here's my setup. 08.5 LF GT500 60# 28" peep, and d-loop. LD with max kit. Cams timed to 3rd dot arrow just above cent on berger holes. Center shot approx 7/8".

1. Vapor(by GT) Pro400 shafts 27.75" 3 3" fusion vanes 4.5" wraps and 100gr ft and 100 gr slicks. fp dead center at 20yds and bh 5" to the right online with fp. No matter how I adjust the rest, both fp and bh move the same distance.

2. CX Max 350 27.75" 3 3" fusion vanes 4.5 wraps same bh/fp combo. Same results.

3. Whitetail shafts (Gander Mountain) 3050. 26" (Wifes arrows). standard 4" vanes. ft/bh combo the same as before. Now the bh and fp are within 2.5" of each other at 20 ydas without makeing any sight or rest adjustments.

OT2 shows my perfect spine to be 400 with my setup. Why are the stiffer spines shooting so far off the mark and the week spine shooting so much better? I've even tried going to 125 gr tips with the same result. I've even tried using 2" blazers with no change in results. I've check fletch contact and don't seem to have any. I'm open to any suggestions. It doesn't seem possible the my setup would require such a week spine to be correct. If I shorten my 400 and 350 spine arrows will that increase the stiffness? What if I lengthen the 3050 spine shafts will that further weaken the shafts. I don't have much hair to start with and I'm stating to pull out what's letf. Can someone please help. Thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
When adjusting your rest are you moving very small amounts at a time
(1/16")?

Have you powdered your vanes to make sure you are not gettting any contact?

Is your center shot correct?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. yess 1/16" or less each time
2. yes no contact
3. 7/8" to start and walkback tuned out to 40yds.

·
Rob Beaulieu
4,301 Posts
I shoot a hoyt ultratec I shoot 60# thats max. I find the bow shoots much better with the 3555/500 pro with BH, than a 5575/400 GT's just over spined. I now use the 500 pro for hunting fixed/expandables/field pioint hit with in a half inch of each other at 30yrds.

All tips are 100grn.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't paper tune, I walkback tune. I've always thought that paper tuning was just a starting point. I walkback and adjust my rest as needed, then bh tune for final adjustments.

I'm using a Limbdriver pro with a max kit.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Since you are left handed everything is backwords from myself. BH right of FP is a sign of weak spine for right handers, stiff for left. Vapors and CT both show stiff spine(hitting right for lefthander), 3050 which are weaker show correct spine or closer to correct spine(hitting dead on). Trust what the equipment is telling you. OT2 is a great program but is only a starting point not a bible. Start with what OT2 states and fine tune from there, every bow and shooter is different, programs can not take that into account. Good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great info. Everyone has been extreemly helpful. Looks like I'll be picking up new shafts after work and starting over, AGAIN.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I had a similar issue with my PSE Omen. I'm at 29" 62lbs and was trying to get .300 and .350 spine arrows to shoot broadheads with my fieldpoints. I ended up going to a .400 spine and it shoots both BH and FP dead on now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried dropping your draw weight down a pound or 2, I am no expert but had the same problem as you. I purchased my arrows after doing the numbers to the tee for a '08 Diamond Marquis set up at 65lbs, never got the broadheads to fly consistently. I ended up getting a Marquis with the 50-60lb limbs on a warranty trade in and started shooting my current arrows with the bow maxed out at 60lbs. Arrows started flying more consistently but still not perfect,played around...shot shot shot...dropped the draw weight down a bit at a time and got the perfect draw weight/spine combo at 56.6lbs. I shoot Beman ICS Camo Hunters .340 that weigh 438gns.

Just a suggestion before you go buy new arrows.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
try a different vane. The 3" fusion vane is very low profile. I've had good success with the 2" fusion vanes. I see tried blazers make sure you have good offset or helical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts