Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I draw I get a pain in my drawing arm, about 4 fingers below the shoulder.

Probably not arthritis or bursitis, or a rotator cuff (wrong location).

I DO warm up.

Am I on my way to tearing something, or should I do something to relieve the pain, or?????

Thanks

·
Owner/LeadingEdgeArchery
2,482 Posts
I have the same problem and I can tell you that according to my doctor it is an inflamed bursa sack. He wants to cut me, but I am just learning to deal with the pain. Mine, however, hurts all the time when I put stress or strain on it. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
shoulder pain

You need to state whether this is on the front part of the arm or side of the arm. Different areas and different problems associated with each area.
Roy

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question, but are you using your bicep during the draw (i.e. tightening of the fist on the release during the draw, drawing with palm towards the inside or pointing downward, thumb tense in the hand like if you are making a fist)? This will engage the bicep and you may want to look into changing your form to minimize bicep engagement as much as possible.

Try going through the draw cycle (no bow) with someone applying resistance at your elbow so if forces you to use more of your back muscles and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
I have spurs in my elbow. Not knowing that people have different draw lengths, I bought one with a 30" draw. I shot it for almost 2 years like that. Elbow starting hurting alot. Went to DR. and he said that I likely have spurs on the elbow. I go into see Orthopedic surgeon next week. I had draw length measured, and I was only 28". But your pain sounds alot like a swollen bursa sack. It has nerves all over it. You won't necessary feel the pain right where your shoulder is. You need to get it checked out before you are out of commission for awhile.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
When I draw I get a pain in my drawing arm, about 4 fingers below the shoulder.

Probably not arthritis or bursitis, or a rotator cuff (wrong location).

I DO warm up.

Am I on my way to tearing something, or should I do something to relieve the pain, or?????

Thanks
You shoot at Lincoln Park right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts