Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the warm weather and the snow depths not being crazy bad the though of big bears is starting to drive me crazy. I wouldn't even have started to be thinking about bear hunting yet in Alaska but here in Idaho it seems the bears should be pocking there heads out anytime now. I bear hunted my tail off in Alaska and never got a shot at a big ol blackie, they are my unicorn I swear! (I am a great guide/friend for them it seems though, took 3 buddies on hunts and all three killed nice bears). Is there anyone else starting to think its about time to start looking for bears? Would be cool to see some bait sight set ups and bears on the ground. Happy Spring Everyone!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Finally glad to see some bear threads popping up. I'll be scouting for new areas this coming Thursday. Can't wait till April. 15th.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm getting antsy to get out there too. Skunk cabbage is starting come up already which is a good sign to see bears early. I might be spending this spring taking out a couple different newbie hunters so we'll see if I get a chance to have a crack at one. Hopefully get these guys on a couple bears.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yes, I'm ready. I have been scouting and still not seen a bear. I don't think there out yet, but I guessing some are and the rest will be soon. I am looking for the wild onion patches to start, this year is all spot-n-stalk for me. I have been on google earth making a plan for my first 3 day hunt. I think I got a good plan, but you never know....

We usually do a bear camp. I will also be doing this after my hunt is over. Cant get enough of bear hunting.
IMG_1720.jpg

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brock; you are always in the bears! Good luck on your hunt, if I am lucky enough to be around this spring I am going to put some miles in spot and stalking myself. Might try and get a bait in but I dont know when the snow leaves the area i want to bait.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant believe we are the only ones starting to think about bears. Since it's almost all Idahoans on here what are the snow levels like around the state?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
My brother tried to make it up to his spot and the snow was still too deep on the road to get up the last stretch. Im filling my bear sucker bucket back up this weekend,they nearly cleared it out last fall.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How's the bear season coming along?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Here is a brownie my outfitter friend had a client take last week. It's not a bow kill. It's 9ft plus and the client shot it on a full charge. It came out of the brush at about 18yds and charged them. I bet his pucker factor was off the charts!

Good luck to all you bear hunters!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Here's a couple from my buddy in AK that baits for black bears and had these show up. Sure would like to see the one bear on a bait when it's legal. He's at least a 9 footer.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Here is a brownie my outfitter friend had a client take last week. It's not a bow kill. It's 9ft plus and the client shot it on a full charge. It came out of the brush at about 18yds and charged them. I bet his pucker factor was off the charts!

Good luck to all you bear hunters!
There'd be a brownie in my drawers if that thing charged me. Holy crap. Do you know what caliber/bullet combo he used?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Husky390,

Caliber was a 338. Not sure of the load.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I cant believe we are the only ones starting to think about bears. Since it's almost all Idahoans on here what are the snow levels like around the state?
Here's a link to the NRCS website's Snotel page. Just click on the dot near the area you want to hunt and check out the snow report. I'm on it about twice a day hoping the snow will disappear from my stomping grounds!! It's usually the end of May/early June before the snow recedes enough to get into the area where we hunt...:sad:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Idaho/idaho.html

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Here's a link to the NRCS website's Snotel page. Just click on the dot near the area you want to hunt and check out the snow report. I'm on it about twice a day hoping the snow will disappear from my stomping grounds!! It's usually the end of May/early June before the snow recedes enough to get into the area where we hunt...:sad:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Idaho/idaho.html
Thank you for sharing that link. That was exactly what I was looking for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts