Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys trust the people working at hunting stores like Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountain to work on your bow?

I need to have my string replaced, including peep & dropzone rest, and ensuring it is timed correctly.

Is this something I can have Bass Pro or Gander do, or is this is big risk?

I do not have the tools, nor skill, to do this myself. But I want to make sure it is done right!!

· Registered
2,477 Posts
no...i do it myself or have one of the master bow mechanics at the local shop do it.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
This thread came up a few months back, and I got bashed for saying it...but I will say it again. I will never take my bow to a big box store again, I have had more than one bad experience. Take the time to drive the extra miles to have it done correctly and to have a piece of mind. It all comes down to confidence when it is time to make the shot...do you have the confidence your bow can do what you are about to ask of it when that guy at the big box store worked on it? Now, that being said, there are a few box stores here and there that may have a guy or two that really know what they are doing...but where I am from I have not run into any of those. Some "archery shops" that are not big box stores have folks that don't know what the he$% they are doing either. I once called the sporting goods store in my hometown to ask if they had a chrono that I could shoot through to see what my hunting arrow was getting, "a chrono? What is that, I guess we have one" I swear that was his exact words! What you should do is talk to some people find out where they take their bows, find out who is the most reputable, who has the most business...find where a lot of 3D shooters hang out and get there rigs worked on.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
This thread came up a few months back, and I got bashed for saying it...but I will say it again. I will never take my bow to a big box store again, I have had more than one bad experience.

the only problem is that if your not real careful alot of so called pro shops are the same way

· Registered
1,925 Posts
ok, ill answer this from experience...

It is idiotic to even label a persons abilities by the PLACE HE WORKS...

Having worked at our local gander mountain, i can say that i learned a ton from some of the older guys working there... and i would completely trust any of em to work on my bow. Now there is always the local idiot, big shop or little shop... Its just a matter of finding the right guy to talk to..

Now my local shops suck, 98% of the guys working in the crappy shops are know it alls that dont know it all... they assume working at a bow shop makes them a level above you... They are brand fanboys who think if its not a bow they sell, its junk and they have tons of recalls, right :rolleyes: I have had some horrible experiences with shops, but i try not to attach that to a shop, but the people working at these shops. But dont get me wrong, they arent all dumb and there r still some great guys that work at local shops whom id trust but im just trying to point out that local shops arent the bees knees all times

The local shop i love and respect around here is Handee boworks, small shop with low amount of hours but the guy is a great guy who is very knowledgeable... and hes a bowtech dealer and i shoot a mathews but hed never give me crap for shooting a mathews

One thing that also sells me on big box guys, or the ones i worked with were completely unbiased, theyd say great things bout any bows, this is partially due to the fact that guys at big box stores arent making commission.... least not at gander. I think the fact that they are non commission makes them more trustful in honest because they arent making money off of selling you stuff... they just want you to have a good experience with your equipment, and i know as long as i worked at gander, if i thought someone was buying a sub par product or a product they didnt need, or a product for a higher price than they could get it down the road, i flat told them...

Archers helping archers... thats what its about

· Registered
1,249 Posts
I learned very quickly that the only one I trust to work on my bow is me. If it's well tuned I know it was because I did it, if something goes bad then I'll know that I did it. It's not hard to work on your own bow and doesn't require that many tools, for what you'll pay someone else you can almost spend the same amount of money on your own tools and have infinite satisfaction that the job was done right ...

ArcheryTalk has a wealth of information at your disposal ...

· Registered
3,050 Posts
I learned very quickly that the only one I trust to work on my bow is me. If it's well tuned I know it was because I did it, if something goes bad then I'll know that I did it. It's not hard to work on your own bow and doesn't require that many tools, for what you'll pay someone else you can almost spend the same amount of money on your own tools and have infinite satisfaction that the job was done right ...

ArcheryTalk has a wealth of information at your disposal ...
Amen! I'm with Apache. Buy a good bowpress (like Omni Press for $135 shipped) and you will be on your way to being self sufficient. A bow press that is the most important tool you need. I've found it is hit or miss if you'll get a good technician no matter where you go (pro shop or big box), but if you learn yourself, you can do it right for the rest of your life.

Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.