Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find an accurate big cut fixed blade for upcoming bow season. Been having some mixed results. I've used slick trick mags in past they shoot good with my rig but want to use a stronger head- had a lot of blades break in past. Really want to use the Magnus black hornets but dont't seem to be grouping as well. Has anyone had these issues or do I need to tune up my bow? Hitting right with field points with some of the heads and a 4-5 inches off with others. Switched out the arrows with some of the heads and that helped but never had to do this before. My ironwills hitting dead on so think my bow in tune. Groups were at 45 yds. What should I do

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might have to broadhead tune your bow for different broadheads.

As far as big fixed blades I think I'm going to try simmons broadheads this year

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If some of the Black Hornets are grouping with fieldpoints but others are not then the problem is obviously with the individual arrows that aren't grouping.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Take one of the poor flying arrows, leave that same broadhead on it, but twist your nock so a different vane becomes your cock vane. If that doesnt fix it, twist the nock again so the next vane is used as your cock vane.

This has always worked for me when I have one or two random flying arrows.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have always shot big fixed heads. Up until recently i would not fletch anything but 4 inch feathers, heavy spiral. From 2007 earlier, it was 5 inch feathers. I shot 150g Magnus Stinger all of the early 2000’s.
With my recurve, and my other “ archery device “ i used 150 grain Rotthaar Snuffers.

But now i am using 125g NAP Hellrazors, and 3 inch vanes , some spiral. All this time, with all of it, never had any flight problems.

These heads do well with a little steering help. Consider 3 inch Vanetec and spiral them. All of my arrows are 400 spine now.
Most charts are too stiff. Back in the aluminum days, i shot 2213.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Thoses heads you mention are not very wide. If you want wide look at simmons, German kenitics, steel force. But you most likely have a tuning problem if you can’t get those other heads to fly. And I do shoot 4 inch helical vanes also with compound, 5 inch feathers from long bows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thoses heads you mention are not very wide. If you want wide look at simmons, German kenitics, steel force. But you most likely have a tuning problem if you can’t get those other heads to fly. And I do shoot 4 inch helical vanes also with compound, 5 inch feathers from long bows.
What vanes do you prefer for the big cut on contacts?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
BowhunterT100
6,534 Posts
Check out steelforce big phat head's, they fly great with 1 1/2 cut

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've got some iron wills and really like them. If I wanted something bigger cut black hornet ser razor would be my next choice. So.. really no advice. Do they all spin well? What's ur arrow and fletching setup? DW and DL? Definitely try rotating the nock. U should be able to get the black hornets shooting without too much trouble

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
I would start with getting my bow to shoot bareshafts with fletched arrows out to 20 yards. If you can do this you will be able to shoot any broadhead you want provided the head spins true and you have constant form.

Just remember that the more surface area or the bigger the blades, the less forgiving that head will be to wind and form inconsistencies.

I have Magnus BH Ser-Razors, ST Mags, Iron Will and at least 20 other fixed heads that all hit with field points out to 50 yards, that's as far as I shoot broadheads. My bow is tuned to shoot bareshafts out to 30 yard.

I suggest using a medium cut head that is between 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" cutting diameter. This size head still has plenty of cut and is still pretty forgiving. This is jmo after 25 years of testing equipment and being a total broadhead junky.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got some iron wills and really like them. If I wanted something bigger cut black hornet ser razor would be my next choice. So.. really no advice. Do they all spin well? What's ur arrow and fletching setup? DW and DL? Definitely try rotating the nock. U should be able to get the black hornets shooting without too much trouble
Shooting the FFP 360 with 2 degree helitical 3 vanes. 70# DW and 29.5" DL. Chrno right at 300. Spin test everything before i shoot it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Maybe need tune a little. Maybe try adding 50 grains to insert if u can or getting heavier insert. Increases foc and seems like when you get above 285 fps with fixed heads things get touchier. Or if the black hornets are grouping well just not hitting with fieldpoints adjust your sight to the broadheads and don't worry about it

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
I haven't had a problem tuning the 150gr VPA 3 blade heads in both a 70# Spyder turbo and my recurves. In fact I can interchange the VPA 2 and 3 blade heads along with the Magnus Buzzcut 150's.

That 3 blade VPA cuts a big hole....but the most important thing-IMO -is it does it effortlessly....goes through animals so fast they hardly know they were hit.
Heres a pic comparing various 125's with the 150 VPA 2 and 3 blade. VPA left side....and all black is VPA 2 blade 150gr. Far right lower is the Buzzcut 150gr....another great head...and inexpensive.
6 bh's comparison.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
I shot black hornets last year. I first bare shaft tuned the bow, then nock tuned the arrows like doofy described. From there the hornets were hitting perfect out to 80 (at least as good as i could shoot). Also after tuning like that my slick trick mags and grim reapers all hit the same spot. Just make sure every arrow spins perfect or else you'll be trying to tune the bow to a bad arrow.

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
In my opinion you need to be more diligent to shoot big fixed heads. I clock my bare shafts, I spine align the arrows (nock tune) I square the ends and get them spinning perfectly, and I get my bare shaft, fletched and broad heads all hitting in the same hole at 20 yards Takes proper bow set-up and form). I have found if you do these things any broad head will shoot. I shoot three 3" feathers helical, 2" Blazers didn't shoot as well for me. I am also running over 20% FOC with a 525 grain broad head going about 270 fps. Very quiet and forgiving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take one of the poor flying arrows, leave that same broadhead on it, but twist your nock so a different vane becomes your cock vane. If that doesnt fix it, twist the nock again so the next vane is used as your cock vane.

This has always worked for me when I have one or two random flying arrows.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
My Bow shop did this for me and it helped

1 - 20 of 25 Posts