Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Very nice! Wish Michigan had APR's statewide so we could see more of this. But, they wont.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Very nice! Wish Michigan had APR's statewide so we could see more of this. But, they wont.
Agreed. I own property in a county with out any restrictions. We probably see one or two good bucks every year. They probably wouldn’t even be considered shooters in other places, but EVERYTHING gets killed. I would love to see more restrictions on antlers.

This last year was my biggest Michigan deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Agreed. I own property in a county with out any restrictions. We probably see one or two good bucks every year. They probably wouldn’t even be considered shooters in other places, but EVERYTHING gets killed. I would love to see more restrictions on antlers.

This last year was my biggest Michigan deer

Same here, no restrictions and everything gets shot.
Nice buck BTW!

·
Registered
49,537 Posts
Michigan mentality, if it's brown it's down! If it doesn't change we will not have many decent bucks.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Michigan mentality, if it's brown it's down! If it doesn't change we will not have many decent bucks.
100% accurate. I know so many guys that just wanna shoot a big buck so badly, but the first 15 min of rifle opener they spot that 4 pt and theyre letting the lead fly.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I live/hunt in Michigan and shake my head at most of these threads. That's a very nice buck in the OP and if it's from the same area as the other trail cam posts by Mr. Borst it's probably less than 30 miles from where I live/hunt. Every county of Michigan has one or more record book bucks but they don't get to be big by being dumb. Most of the hunters that complain about not seeing them don't seem to be smart enough, or are too lazy to accomplish that. Baiting has finally been banned and now the trend is to hunt over specially prepared "killing fields". Bigger bucks may come to those areas but unless they are very remote with little to no pressure those visits will be after dark. Maybe those hunters will get lucky during the rut but if you really want to hunt big bucks hunt where they live and adjust your tactics. Show those bucks the respect they deserve if you want all the pats on the back your mount on the wall will bring you. Hunt where, when and how you wish but don't push your APR desires on the rest of the hunters. Why should anyone have to conform to your wishes?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I live/hunt in Michigan and shake my head at most of these threads. That's a very nice buck in the OP and if it's from the same area as the other trail cam posts by Mr. Borst it's probably less than 30 miles from where I live/hunt. Every county of Michigan has one or more record book bucks but they don't get to be big by being dumb. Most of the hunters that complain about not seeing them don't seem to be smart enough, or are too lazy to accomplish that. Baiting has finally been banned and now the trend is to hunt over specially prepared "killing fields". Bigger bucks may come to those areas but unless they are very remote with little to no pressure those visits will be after dark. Maybe those hunters will get lucky during the rut but if you really want to hunt big bucks hunt where they live and adjust your tactics. Show those bucks the respect they deserve if you want all the pats on the back your mount on the wall will bring you. Hunt where, when and how you wish but don't push your APR desires on the rest of the hunters. Why should anyone have to conform to your wishes?
Whoever said it wasn’t a nice buck?

·
Registered
492 Posts
agreed... mandatory APRs (MAPRs) sound good in theory, but not in practice.

ive been hunting the 12 counties with MAPRs (and all over the state for that matter, detroit metro on up to traverse city) for 10 years. when i ran cameras, id get pictures of P&Y deer (on public land) ever other year or so. its fine during archery... but come gun season, the effects of MAPRs are profound. we didnt magically have 3.5+ year old bucks running around, plenty of young gear still get shot. the problem is that MAPRs were put in place without the option to harvest does, now people are forced to shoot young bucks with the best antler development if they want to fill a tag. i cant tell you how many times ive heard, "hes not a giant but its the biggest buck ive seen this year," in reference to a 1.5 year old scrub buck that satisfies the definition of legal. i really hope the new regulations gives people the option to fill the freezer AND let smaller bucks walk.

keep in mind that what you are seeing in your area doesnt paint the picture for the rest of the state. the call for state wide legislation of MAPRs to fix your little chunk of woods is selfish. michigan doesnt have an APR problem, michigan has a people problem. you do realize you can practice APRs voluntarily (VAPRs), right? get together with your neighbors, get everyone on the same page. but michigan people dont want to talk to each other, theyd rather have the DNR tell each other what to do. i dont see this mentality when i travel to different big buck states. 9 out of 10 of which do not have APRs, the 10th (missouri) of which has loosened its restrictions a lot since getting hit with EHD.

michigan would be better served with a single buck tag than placing APRs on the current combo tag. the option of harvesting does during firearm season is a step in the right direction both for buck growth and hunter satisfaction. keep in mind that there are a LOT of people in this state who have one week or even one weekend a year to hunt. if someone wants 2 does for the freezer, do it. for the guy who is happy taking a fork horn or basket rack, let him. but only give him one. making it harder on them to fill the freezer and/or enjoy the great outdoors is only going to lower hunter satisfaction and take money out of the DNRs pocket. that bottom line trickles down to us.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Jeez man. Why are getting so offended? Not lazy or smart enough? Every body is entitled to their own opinion. I personally think increasing regulation on bucks would be helpful.

·
wolfey
4,063 Posts
Jeez man. Why are getting so offended? Not lazy or smart enough? Every body is entitled to their own opinion. I personally think increasing regulation on bucks would be helpful.

Until your seeing dead bucks in the woods that don't meet the APR so people leave them there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Until your seeing dead bucks in the woods that don't meet the APR so people leave them there.

That’s a good point. I guess I have never thought of it from that perspective. I am fortunate in that I hunt my own property (80 acres), I don’t stumble on dead deer that people leave. With that being said it’s not large enough to “manage”my own heard. But I can see how that will be an issue for many people. My hunting property is north of the rifle line. So every November 15th we see a bunch of little guys get shot, with very few “shooters” ever seen. It can get quite frustrating.

·
wolfey
4,063 Posts
That’s a good point. I guess I have never thought of it from that perspective. I am fortunate in that I hunt my own property (80 acres), I don’t stumble on dead deer that people leave. With that being said it’s not large enough to “manage”my own heard. But I can see how that will be an issue for many people. My hunting property is north of the rifle line. So every November 15th we see a bunch of little guys get shot, with very few “shooters” ever seen. It can get quite frustrating.

My opinion is to lower your expectations and not worry about what other people shoot. I grew up being told I could only shoot big bucks and it ruined a lot of relationships. When people try to make rules/laws on hunting it wrecks it IMO.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
agreed... mandatory APRs (MAPRs) sound good in theory, but not in practice.

ive been hunting the 12 counties with MAPRs (and all over the state for that matter, detroit metro on up to traverse city) for 10 years. when i ran cameras, id get pictures of P&Y deer (on public land) ever other year or so. its fine during archery... but come gun season, the effects of MAPRs are profound. we didnt magically have 3.5+ year old bucks running around, plenty of young gear still get shot. the problem is that MAPRs were put in place without the option to harvest does, now people are forced to shoot young bucks with the best antler development if they want to fill a tag. i cant tell you how many times ive heard, "hes not a giant but its the biggest buck ive seen this year," in reference to a 1.5 year old scrub buck that satisfies the definition of legal. i really hope the new regulations gives people the option to fill the freezer AND let smaller bucks walk.

keep in mind that what you are seeing in your area doesnt paint the picture for the rest of the state. the call for state wide legislation of MAPRs to fix your little chunk of woods is selfish. michigan doesnt have an APR problem, michigan has a people problem. you do realize you can practice APRs voluntarily (VAPRs), right? get together with your neighbors, get everyone on the same page. but michigan people dont want to talk to each other, theyd rather have the DNR tell each other what to do. i dont see this mentality when i travel to different big buck states. 9 out of 10 of which do not have APRs, the 10th (missouri) of which has loosened its restrictions a lot since getting hit with EHD.

michigan would be better served with a single buck tag than placing APRs on the current combo tag. the option of harvesting does during firearm season is a step in the right direction both for buck growth and hunter satisfaction. keep in mind that there are a LOT of people in this state who have one week or even one weekend a year to hunt. if someone wants 2 does for the freezer, do it. for the guy who is happy taking a fork horn or basket rack, let him. but only give him one. making it harder on them to fill the freezer and/or enjoy the great outdoors is only going to lower hunter satisfaction and take money out of the DNRs pocket. that bottom line trickles down to us.

The one buck idea is a lot better than APRs in my opinion. I wish they’d go that route and have been wanting that for years.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My opinion is to lower your expectations and not worry about what other people shoot. I grew up being told I could only shoot big bucks and it ruined a lot of relationships. When people try to make rules/laws on hunting it wrecks it IMO.

I don’t really worry about what others shoot. I would never say anything to anyone hunting as long as what they are shooting isn’t illegal, and even then I probably wouldn’t say anything. My point is it would be nice to see a collective effort in letting the little guys walk. But at the end of the day I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

When I have guests over I ask them to avoid small bucks. Does are fair game and so are big bucks.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don’t really worry about what others shoot. I would never say anything to anyone hunting as long as what they are shooting isn’t illegal, and even then I probably wouldn’t say anything. My point is it would be nice to see a collective effort in letting the little guys walk. But at the end of the day I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

When I have guests over I ask them to avoid small bucks. Does are fair game and so are big bucks.

100% my way of thinking too. I ALWAYS congratulate someone when they shoot a deer whether it’s a B&C buck, doe, or even a button buck.

Matter of fact, I recently told my brother how I miss the days of shooting a “6 pt” or “8 pt”, because those don’t exist anymore. It’s all a matter of inches or age. How come all of a sudden we have to justify shooting a 6 pt or 4 pt? My brother shot a 6 point a few years ago and he was trying to basically plead his case on why he shot it. I’m like dude, you don’t have to explain to anyone why you shoot what u shoot. You shoot what makes you happy. If getting a spike gives u that thrill, by all means take him.

I guess I would like to see something done with the regulations only because I fully understand how just a small change can make a big difference. A guy at work tells me he’s fully against it because he doesn’t want to see less bucks. Which makes no sense to me. I try to explain that he won’t be seeing less, and that he will see more quality bucks.

In the end, I will NEVER fault someone for shooting any LEGAL deer or being against antler restrictions, but I also don’t want to be questioned because I personally am in favor of them.

·
Registered
22,577 Posts
I know Stikbow208 well and can tell you he is a grizzled old veteran deer and turkey hunter. He knows his stuff and can scout an area well to set up trail cams where he gets some nice bucks photos...IN MICHIGAN. His point may have been missed by some because it was stated quite bluntly...but if you want to call yourself a "trophy" deer hunter you work harder....not change the rules to make it easier. His view of APR's is simple.....excluding an age class from the bulk of Michigan hunters so a few years later there are more big ones doesn't make you a better hunter....it makes you a better "passer". There are nice bucks around, but are more rare than the average joe desires, so the idea is to "level the playing field" by increasing the potential number.

Funny thing is that I have gotten to know a few folks from KS and they lament the "good old days" when it was common to see many trophy sized bucks a season. Since KS has increased out-of-state hunting opportunities, the results has been that more bucks are killed and there are less big ones. A fairly common opinion on some KS threads right here on AT is to pare back on OOS tags so things return to the "good old days". Are there still big bucks in KS.....absolutely....but folks have to work harder for them and that reality seems to sour some vocal residents. So lets blame outfitters and OOS hunters and greedy politicians.....

Do the Superbowl or World Series champion teams have to work harder than the teams with poor records to achieve their success....or are they just lucky? If you want to be a trophy hunter, it SHOULD be challenging to achieve your lofty goals. The answer for some in MI is to go to IL, OH, KS, NE, MO or IA to get a poke at a wider opportunity of large buck. Can it be done here....of course...but it would be easier if there were more of them and less effort was needed.....right?

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
No offense Michigan fellas, but the 3 most azz backwards thoughts about deer management came from a few Michigan fellas.

I was in the thumb area for turkey season for a few days, the amount of deer is mind boggling, these clowns will not shoot does, claim if they keep the does around the bucks will come, bucks are tripping over does there!!!

Had a shed with a pile of racks from the bucks they killed over the years, nothing over 2 yrs old I doubt, going to take some time to change the mind set of the hunters in that area!

·
Registered
49,537 Posts

You start seeing that they aren't hunters. They are slobs, violators and should be turned in!!!!!!!!! They are hurting your rights to be a responsible hunter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts