Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Make no mistake Michigan has P & Y and Booners, not in numbers like a Kansas or Iowa but we got em.
Not so much in the upper half of the state, but the lower half has some big deer.
Regardless of what people think, a 4.5-6.5 Michigan buck is harder to kill than some of the bigger less pressured states like listed above. Hunting pressure is much more intense, and these deer get smarter faster. Many are nocturnal.
True, our DNR and traditional "brown it's down" mentality is still there and unfortunately still widespread.
Heads up for guys who are hunting in a 3 to 5 mile radius of Kensington metro park, you got many bucks over 140 and a few legit Booners...............trust me.
I hunt the Thumb where there are not as many chances at 3.5-5.5 bucks, but there are still some solid bucks around.
Michigan DNR is clueless and I accept that, but we can all do our part to let em go and let em grow.
We have everything to be a mega buck state, except a management program that supports having bigger older bucks.

·
Registered
22,577 Posts
"but we can all do our part to let em go and let em grow. We have everything to be a mega buck state, except a management program that supports having bigger older bucks".

I agree with the bulk of what you stated....and feel that letting them go is a personal decision rather than a mandated regulation. For those who do not own or have access to quality private land, passing younger bucks means they very likely won't get to take a buck. For those who have limited time to hunt due to jobs and young families, limiting the deer they can potentially take is a hindrance to their future involvement. Trophy hunters tend to view the sport through their singular lens and focus....trying to sell it as good for all. Those who rarely see A buck are not easily convinced that passing them up will yield more sightings of a larger, more wary buck in the future. One cannot lament the slow death of the hunting heritage in modern society while at the same time limiting results based on their personal desires for antler size or "age".

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
I understand the intense hunting pressure making it harder to kill anything, however the fact there just are not many making it to their potential is the bigger issue.

I do not deer hunt MI. so I have no skin in the game, but it is such an easy solution to getting deer to make it an extra year or two, but like most things these days it is impossible for anyone to see another point of view without getting bent out of shape!

·
Registered
492 Posts
problem is that it takes 5 years to grow a 5 year old buck. getting everyone to adhere to a management plan so that some can reap the benefits is a lofty thing to ask. i have no problem with michigan managing for opportunity rather than trophy class. but no resident ever seems happy with what we have in place. with 1/3 of the state being public land, it really could be a cool destination state. but until someone becomes supreme pope of the woods, all we can do is follow the laws and regs.

i still think the added opportunity to harvest does during general firearm is a step in the right direction. driving up 75 i typically count does to bucks at 10:1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure what the issue with APRs is all about. We implemented it just fine 18 years ago in PA. The majority cried the blues and thought the world was gonna end. Funny thing is, the quality of bucks keeps getting better and better.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Youth season, 3 months of x-bows, 3 weeks of rifles, at least 1/2 dozen families owning property in each section, and 2 buck tags per hunter with no APR on the first tag is why buck hunting is worthless in Michigan. I know people who quit rifle hunting because they would sit out for 2 days and see one scrub buck only to watch it walk into the neighbor's property and get blasted. The MDNR and NRC is worthless. You all can go back to making excuses now. I said my piece.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I understand the intense hunting pressure making it harder to kill anything, however the fact there just are not many making it to their potential is the bigger issue.

I do not deer hunt MI. so I have no skin in the game, but it is such an easy solution to getting deer to make it an extra year or two, but like most things these days it is impossible for anyone to see another point of view without getting bent out of shape!
Each of us has a right to our own opinion/point of view and I don't hold that against anyone...,until they start telling me that I have to conform to their views/ practices so they can have it their way. Other than law enforcement nobody has the right to tell me what I can/can't do. If they have the right to think we should only harvest older/larger deer then I also have the right to think I can harvest younger, better eating deer for my freezer. If you truly want to be a trophy deer hunter do it the way it should be done. Hunt where they live instead of hoping one will wander in front of you.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Very nice! Wish Michigan had APR's statewide so we could see more of this. But, they wont.
I used to support ARs but often they are done wrong and encourage nice young bucks to be harvested and smaller one to not be. To have big bucks the state itself must change look at most big buck states none of them have ARs

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Youth season, 3 months of x-bows, 3 weeks of rifles, at least 1/2 dozen families owning property in each section, and 2 buck tags per hunter with no APR on the first tag is why buck hunting is worthless in Michigan. I know people who quit rifle hunting because they would sit out for 2 days and see one scrub buck only to watch it walk into the neighbor's property and get blasted. The MDNR and NRC is worthless. You all can go back to making excuses now. I said my piece.
I agree with everything u said. Waiting for the day Michigan allows a 365 day hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Make no mistake Michigan has P & Y and Booners, not in numbers like a Kansas or Iowa but we got em.
Not so much in the upper half of the state, but the lower half has some big deer.
Regardless of what people think, a 4.5-6.5 Michigan buck is harder to kill than some of the bigger less pressured states like listed above. Hunting pressure is much more intense, and these deer get smarter faster. Many are nocturnal.
True, our DNR and traditional "brown it's down" mentality is still there and unfortunately still widespread.
Heads up for guys who are hunting in a 3 to 5 mile radius of Kensington metro park, you got many bucks over 140 and a few legit Booners...............trust me.
I hunt the Thumb where there are not as many chances at 3.5-5.5 bucks, but there are still some solid bucks around.
Michigan DNR is clueless and I accept that, but we can all do our part to let em go and let em grow.
We have everything to be a mega buck state, except a management program that supports having bigger older bucks.
Kensington is an awesome park. The largest deer I’ve ever seen was not too far from there, I saw it driving on the highway right off of 275 and 696

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Born and raised in Michigan and had the "if its brown its down" mentality as well. We hunted State Land, Pigeon River country near Afton and some state land in Menominee County as well. I really never knew any different because most everyone that hunted all thought the same....

After my military service I ended up staying in Kentucky and learned real quick there was a VAST difference in hunting mentality. The first few years I killed bucks, 1.5 yo's mostly, my buddies would ask me what I was doing shooting these "young" deer. Nobody went by "10 point" " 6 point" "8 Point" etc... If I said I killed a 8 pointer, next question would be how big of an 8 pointer and how old of a deer? It was eye opening for me. I also discovered that my buddies definition of a "good' deer was certainly different than my definition. Ive always had the thought, "shoot what makes you happy" mentality and I still do to this day. My Dad comes down every year for the gun opener and usually busts the first 2 yo buck he sees, regardless of the bigger deer I show him pics of, but he's happy and thats what matters. My cousin and his kids came down for the first time last gun season and one of them put the smack down on his largest deer ever, which was a 4 year old in the mid 130's range. Here, that is a decent deer, for some, its a deer of a lifetime. To each his own... I show them pics of deer I've passed up and they say I'm crazy, but I wont shoot something that's not going to make me happy. Ive killed plenty of 1-3 year old deer, some of those 3 year olds are Pope and Young deer, but at this point in my life (Im 50) my standards have changed...

Also, a good percentage of the hunters here buy in to harvesting does too, which we all know is important. My family shoots several a year for the meat.

As for antler point restrictions, are you going to apply those to youth, first time hunters, etc????

I think the trophy is in the eye of the beholder, whether thats a spike, 4 pointer, or 160 inch 10 pointer...

Here in KY we have a one buck limit, period. Kill it with your bow, muzzleloader or rifle, but its ONE only. If you are in a Zone 1 county, you can kill an unlimited amount of does. Seems crazy to me, especially in southern MI where the deer numbers are so high, that they dont do something along those lines...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts