Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not trying to come of as some successful shed hunting master. As I only find 10-15 sheds a year. In the last few years Ive only found a few. But for many thats a good shed season.
Now, this is just common sense but it plays a big factor in not only finding sheds, but this is how you start next season off right. SCOUT NOW! IMO Its peek shedding time, Im getting text messages everyday now of guys finding big sheds. With this snow the deer are easily visible and centralized on the primary food source. You dont even have to go walking around in this miserable weather. Just take a drive every evening around prime time and find where the deer are. Look for the bucks but dont over look the does (thats where the nocturnal smart bucks are gonna be later after dark). Take note where they are, where they are entering the fields, what area of the fields the deer frequent. Take all this gathered and remember it. These are your most likely places your gonna find sheds. Also use this information and relate it to other farms and areas around your home/ hunting area. Deer are the same in every area and if they are eating corn over winter wheat....the deer 3 miles down the road are probably doing to same thing.
Remember.....Go to your hunting areas and go to new places. This is the time of year I gain most of my new landowner friendships. Ive found some landowners that dont like hunters... don't mind letting you shed hunt. Then build on that friendship through the summer by helping the landowner out....then next season your more apt to getting hunting permission.

Im going to end this ramble with some pics and by saying that most of the big deer Ive hunted, started with a single sighting this time of year, then finding his sheds....then hunting him the following season. Thats how you build history and to me.... thats what hunting big bucks is all about!
Good luck shed hunting guys!
Here is my biggest deer hunting career heartbreak
Found this guy in January one night when I thought my season was over, I had no big bucks to hunt and went for a drive. Gained permission the next day and got after him.

Never did seal the deal that late winter but found his sheds a few months later.

Couldnt wait till next season to see what he would grow. Here he is the next summer

I hunted him hard but as many big bucks do, he vanished once hard horned. Then while on vacation in December I got word the neighbor shot him. And so goes big buck hunting!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Nice find , to bad you didnt get the chance to let an arrow fly . Going to go out next weekend and start my shed adventure. Not willing to go this weekend with the wind blowing like crazy and temps around zero with the windchill . Good luck

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Is your dog trained to shed hunt or is that just your hiking buddy?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's "half" trained...........his name is BOONER

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
some good info if your in areas that you can see deer from the roads... cant in this part of ohio. 10-15 sheds in Ohio is a pretty good year. Thats about what i find each year...

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Good Thread.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Nice. I stumbled into a shed from a 150"(conservative) buck. Can't score exact as G2 and G3 are almost gone from squirels. Great mass though. Guess it will just become another dog chew toy if they can get their mouths around it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a few guys ask me how I get permission to properties I see bucks on. I'll start by saying its not easy. Everyone hunts in my area so pressure is always a factor. But here is my method.
As for this time of year, I usually stop and knock on the door with a nice shed in my hand BUT With it being cold outside, I prefer to catch them outside already. I keep a shed in my truck this time of year and I never pass up and opportunity to talk to a apparent country land owning homeowner. I'll stop and introduce myself, small talk then explain what shed hunting is and the shedding process. Ive had farmers tell me that they would appreciate it cause they poke holes in their tractor tires. Ive had landowner tell me I could shed hunt If they could have what I find (I gave away two sheds last year).

Then after Im done, I stop back and say thank you. During the summer if its a good property and shows promise, I'll stop back and small talk again and see if you can help with summer/fall chores. if its a farmer, I know they will bale hay around August. Most importantly get them to know you a good, responsible person and gain their trust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts