Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we put a set of Limb Savers Ultras on my wife’s bow. Nothing else was changed: same arrows: same shot range, but much to our surprise when we took it out to test fire it; it hit left of where it had been hitting before. :confused:

It was a change of about nine to twelve inches at twenty yards… I would never have expected a change of that magnitude. We checked all settings and attachments on the bow, but nothing had came lose or moved. We have everything marked with whiteout for a quick visual check after travel…

Has anyone else ever noticed a point of impact change, just from installing a set of Limb Savers Ultras?

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
The Limb Savers must be too close to the limb tips, and the cam/cams or cable is contacting them during the shot sequence.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
which limbsavers are they?, split limb or solid limb?

if they are the split limb version, they may have equalized the limb tips, taking out some cam and idler lean.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Interesting! It could be either one. Keep us informed. Never heard of anything like this:confused:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's got me stumped...

I checked while my wife drew the bow and it doesn't come close to the cams, or the cables. We installed them as per instructions about an inch and a half from the bottom of the V where the axles mount on the limbs.

They are the solid limb Limb Savers Ultras...

My thoughts were that some how it may (by added mass) through off the limb tiller, and effect nock travel some way... But it has moved her groups to the left, not up or down :confused:

Any more info would be good... I may see if I can ask the Sims people on their Web site if they have any knowlege of this problem.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shoff14 said:
Is there a chance that they slowed the bow down enough to cause a spine issue?

That is an idea worth checking into... If the bow is slowed by the Limb savers, it should cause an over spine issue with the arrow. I can't beleive that it would slow the bow down that much. The bow is a 2005 PSE Spyder with the Rimfire cam set at about 50 pounds with a 26 inch draw. It's not that slow of a bow... The arrows she shoots are spined 40-50's

I could do some bare shaft tests tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day, and see if that is the problem. If that is the case, I think the limb savers will be removed. I hate to though because it will most likely mess up the camo on the back of the limbs...

Thanks for your idea

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
I don't believe the Limb Savers can possibly be at fault unless they are contacting something.

I think something else is wrong. If you are going pull them off, perhaps leaving the bow in the freezer overnight will allow the adhesive to release easier.

·
Registered
465 Posts
i agree with the spine issue but it does seem a little extreme. basically the limbsavers are soaking up energy from the bow instead of transfering it to the arrow. Before you remove them Try cranking the limbolts one full turn and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The more I think about it...

I think we may be better off to take it back to the pro shop where we bought it and have him give it a good look... It has me stumped... I have put limb savers on my bow and never had a problem.

It could just be another problem all together, but if it is, it happend while the bow was in the bow case :confused: It shot great the day before...

Like I said in my first post, everything seems to be in the same place it was before...:confused: It just started shooting left... I don't think it is my wife, because she has been shooting too long for it to be a form issue... and it is still grouping well.

Most of the time she can out shoot me :embara:

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
I really think that it is her.....

I have was one of the first people to shoot Limb Savers as I got a set when they first came out to test. I have shot them on nothing but Hoyts (the split limbs are the heaviest and if they are going to affect a bow it will be on a Hoyt). I normally tune my bow without them and then put them on since I have to take them off to press the bow. Alot of times I wil take them on and off just playing around with them or shoot my target setups without them then out of the blue put them back on.......my point of impact NEVER CHANGES. It isn't the limbsavers.

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,490 Posts
The most I have ever seen limbsavers slow a bow down was 2fps and that was at IBO speed. On my Hoyts with 500gr arrows no speed loss.

I just can't believe the limbsavers are changing the point of impact unless they are in the way of rigging or cam/cams.

Just want to add one more thing, 9-12 inches is a "country mile". My dad used to shoot 9-12 inches off on occassion. He was switching eyes

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Is she useing a drop away rest that is activated by the shock of the shot? If so maybe it is staying up longer and making fletching contact. Just a thaught.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope...

She is shooting a WB. The same one she has had from the time we got the bow. I think this evening we will take it and have it all checked out by the shop.

I can look it over and not find anything out of order, but maybe it needs to be put in a press and have the axles and cam checked. As far as I know she has never droped it or hurt it in any way...

I know something has changed... One day it shoots fine... put it in the case: we get the bow out of the case next day: use alcohol prep pads to clean the limbs... ad the limb savers... take it outside to shot it and it hits almost a foot to the left:confused:

I'll let every one know what I find out after we get the bow checked out real well...

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
i don't think l/s is the trouble,i have used 100"s of them & never found a bad thing except some want to jump off"easy to fix"

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
Killthewabbit said:
She is shooting a WB. The same one she has had from the time we got the bow. I think this evening we will take it and have it all checked out by the shop.

I can look it over and not find anything out of order, but maybe it needs to be put in a press and have the axles and cam checked. As far as I know she has never droped it or hurt it in any way...

I know something has changed... One day it shoots fine... put it in the case: we get the bow out of the case next day: use alcohol prep pads to clean the limbs... ad the limb savers... take it outside to shot it and it hits almost a foot to the left:confused:

I'll let every one know what I find out after we get the bow checked out real well...
pop them off & see if the bow shoots as set up again....

·
Registered
61 Posts
limbsavers

could it be that the limbsavers cut down on alot of vibration and your wife could have be tourqing the bow before the change. Resight according and seewhat happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts