Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I want to preface this by saying that I am not writing this for any reason other than to inform others of my recent experience with Jeff Dixon at 2nd Chance Archery because it was so great and I was so blessed in it, and I think Jeff definitely deserves a shout out from me. I'm sorry that it's long but I hope you bear with me. I am a college student in Illinois that recently purchased a used Mathews Chill (that Jeff had originally set up) from a guy on archery talk. Jeff posted on the link that he would back the bow with service, like he does with every used bow I've seen posted so far that he originally built, which is really awesome. I was familiar with Jeff from watching his videos on YouTube so I knew the bow was tuned to perfection.

When I got the bow, I was a little concerned because it looked (to my untrained eye) like the top cam was leaning. To further my concern, the serving on the string was worn as the string left the top cam descending to the bottom cam. I took it to my local bow shop and the guys had no idea what was wrong with the bow, they knew the top cam was leaning but couldn't figure out why. Their best guess was limb deflection, which I didn't have any idea what that meant seeing as I had never had an issues with that before in any of my old bows. They told me it would cost $250 for a new set of limbs, and $150 for new strings and cables. At this point I was pretty freaked out because being a college student, I try to be save as much money as possible (I sold my old bow to help pay for this one). I talked to the guy who sold me the bow, a really nice guy, and he said to talk to Jeff and get his thoughts. I texted Jeff and having never met me, he was incredibly willing to help me out. He was quick to respond and had me send pictures and videos of the bow to try to help. When I told him the guys at the local bow shop told me their best guess was limb deflection and it would cost me $250, he immediately called me and calmed me down (I was pretty nervous about the amount of money they were telling me I'd have to put into a used bow). He talked to me and explained why it may or may not be limb deflection and that it could be a number of different things. He told me to ship it to him in Georgia and that he would replace anything that needed replaced FREE OF CHARGE! Jeff was going way out of his way to help me out when he wasn't even involved in the original sale of the bow to me. In addition, during that conversation on the phone, I felt like I was talking to someone I had known for years, he's incredibly nice and very personable.

Anyway, I shipped the bow to him and he got it on Tuesday afternoon sometime. I told him that I didn't want to rush him, but my sister works close to where he lives and if he did have it done by Thursday night that I could have her pick it up (which would save me shipping costs since she was coming home for Christmas). He told me he would try his best. He spent hours tuning the bow and ended up putting a brand new set of stock bottom limbs on and put brand new proline strings and cables (which truly look amazing with the bow) on the bow for me for free. He fixed other things that needed tuned as well including adjusting the grip and the string stop. Jeff spent many hours on this bow for me and he did it all out of kindness! I don't know all the proper terminology, but he tuned the bow on the drawing board to my exact draw length, he paper tuned it, and he tuned the drop away rest and probably other things that are over my head. Between the new limbs and new strings and cables, it was easily $250 (on the low side) worth of merchandise plus labor fees at any bow shop that he saved me. The bow was basically brand new! He even went out of his way to send me pictures of the bow in the drawing board and he sent me a video of the final paper tuning! He ended up getting it done in time and I just found out that he actually dropped it off to my sister at her work and actually ended up waiting for a while outside her work for her to get off because she got off late! What an awesome guy if you ask me! He had no reason to help me out but he did and he went above and beyond. I am extremely thankful for what he did for me.

As far as the bow goes, it is INCREDIBLE! I've been shooting it for about a week now and it shoots great so far and I look forward to shooting some deer with it in the future. I had a few questions for Jeff throughout the process and every time he was always quick to get back to me. In addition to texting, we had a couple phone conversations after the first and I seriously felt like I was talking to a hunting buddy or a friend I had known for years every time. I'm not the kind of guy to just make posts about anything, but this was something I felt definitely needed to be known by others. Jeff builds some awesome bows guys. Go check him out. He's got awesome videos on YouTube and you can read other Archery Talk posts about how amazing his builds are if you don't believe me. He's here on Archery Talk and he's also got a Facebook page and a website you can check him (2nd Chance Archery) out on. The man is truly a perfectionist when it comes to tuning bows and you won't be disappointed with any bow he builds. He's an incredible bow builder and an even better man. He’s earned a lifetime customer out of me and I live 8 hours (driving) away. That’s how awesome this guy is!

If you guys are looking to buy a new bow from a great dealer, you should definitely consider checking out Jeff Dixon at 2nd Chance Archery. Like I said earlier, he's a great guy and really down to earth. The new Obsession bows are sweet and he's building them too! Check them out!

Thanks so much Jeff, I greatly appreciate all that you have done for me. Happy New Year to you and your family and to every one else on here.

Sorry this was so long, but it was hard to get everything I wanted to say to explain the story without the extra details. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this and that those of you who already know Jeff are happy to know this too. Thanks for reading!

Here are a few pics just to show you the bow and that I'm not making it up:

Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 11.12.30 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 11.12.21 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 11.12.42 AM.jpg

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
he has done a lot for me behind the scenes also, out of no other reason other than being a good man. Obsession bows made a great business decision in making 2nd chance archery a dealer, service beyond his customers that is incredible, earned my business and friendship for life.
I am also from Illinois, let me know when you are driving down to 2nd chance, we can car pool! lol!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Aw Ethan you made me blush...Thanks so much for the kind words...I just did what I thought was right by you. You invested in something that had my fingerprints on it and I wanted to make sure it was right for ya. Mission accomplished I guess. I definitely feel the same way about our talks...but someone on here is bound to say "Bro_Mance" soon, so I'll just leave it at that. Thanks again and call anytime. Jeff

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Ditto everything nice said about Jeff. Amazingly gracious with his time and top notch work. Jeff is the man!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Ditto everything nice said about Jeff. Amazingly gracious with his time and top notch work. Jeff is the man!
Thanks Father Frank...you know I wouldn't mess up anything coming your way...you have too much pull with the MAN upstairs...LOL...Hope you like the latest set of VAPs I just sent ya...good trade. Looking forward to mounting that Axcel on my 3D rig cuz I just found out that my circuit won't let me use my AXT Driver in Unlimited Bowhunter class cuz it slides in front of the riser (silly rule since you can use an HHA and other sliders, but it is what it is I guess)....Anyway, thanks for the great trade and if you need help getting those ProLine threads mounted perfectly just call.

·
Pick a Spot
683 Posts
Yeah I agree. Bought an Obsession Phoenix and it flat out shoots! Jeff goes above and beyond to make sure your pleased. Keep up the great work Jeff. You'll have a lifetime customer here.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Yeah I agree. Bought an Obsession Phoenix and it flat out shoots! Jeff goes above and beyond to make sure your pleased. Keep up the great work Jeff. You'll have a lifetime customer here.
Thanks Jeremy, notice the sight I referred to above...your rig was the inspiration for the move...I really liked that sight man and wasn't just blowing smoke. Thanks...I think, boy those lens/hood kits/etc are not "free" by any means are they????

·
Pick a Spot
683 Posts
Thanks Jeremy, notice the sight I referred to above...your rig was the inspiration for the move...I really liked that sight man and wasn't just blowing smoke. Thanks...I think, boy those lens/hood kits/etc are not "free" by any means are they????
I did notice that:) Sorry to open your wallet for ya. They're not cheap but hard to beat!
Thanks again for all you do for your fellow archers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jeff is the real deal....he truly cares about his customers and takes great pride in all his work! A true perfectionist:)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hes a good man for sure! He already offered me help if I run into any tuning issues with my Chill R, this guy deserves an award lol

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hes a good man for sure! He already offered me help if I run into any tuning issues with my Chill R, this guy deserves an award lol
Thanks guys. Just hearing and reading your comments is "Thank You" enough for me. Archers helping Archers is what our great sport and this particular site is all about. I live it everyday best I can. Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts