Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellow archery addicts, how many of you have had to order archery stuff behind your spouses back, and what's the biggest "archery present" you have givin yourself without her knowing?
i've recently been pondering getting a new bow without her permission, but at $1000 it's a little bit hard to hide that misteriously missing money :eek:
we made an agreement that i wouldn't get a new bow until next year, but i have that itch that only a new bow can scratch.
i believe it's easier to ask for foregiveness then for permission!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Just get something new for your current bow. Rest, sight, arrows. Gives ya somethin to tinker with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Big Trouble

A buddy of mine always buys camo bows so that his wife never knows how many or can tell if its new. But I don't recommend doing it without telling the wife first. After 36 years, it's the best policy.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just get something new for your current bow. Rest, sight, arrows. Gives ya somethin to tinker with.
that was the compromise we came up with, and i have been buying new accessories. i just ordered a new offset vbar and bstinger sidebar stabilizer last night when i got home. new carter release and arrows last month. next month.... hmmmmmm....... new rest!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My wife has NO idea I bought myself, not one, but (2) 2010 bows this year. She never pays an ounce of attention to my Golf, Guns, or Archery so I have pulled it off so far for 5 months. I do the bills so it was easy.

I keep one under my bed, and one in the bow case in the closet. I always walk out with just the bow case to keep her suspicion low. If I want to bring both bows, I will put one in the car the night before when she is taking a bath or shower, then the next morning take the one in the case.

I have no idea how long I can get away with it, but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My wife has NO idea I bought myself, not one, but (2) 2010 bows this year. She never pays an ounce of attention to my Golf, Guns, or Archery so I have pulled it off so far for 5 months. I do the bills so it was easy.

I keep one under my bed, and one in the bow case in the closet. I always walk out with just the bow case to keep her suspicion low. If I want to bring both bows, I will put one in the car the night before when she is taking a bath or shower, then the next morning take the one in the case.

I wanna know how you got away with that! Especially considering one is a Carbon Matrix! :eek:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

i gotta say that yours are bigger then mine:icon_salut: :cheers:

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
What are you shooting now? I would just stash a little cash away until you had enough money to buy another bow. Let your wife know that you have been saving. She will probably be more understanding.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

You are not married. You're in prison. I think i would just take the verbal beating and and then be allowed to live in peace.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Honesty is the only way out of the situation. Tell her "honestly honey I'm gonna buy a new bow". Then when she says "but we had a deal" you say "that's why I've been building tower stands on the side, so it doesn't come out of our regular income" and she says "that's not the point" and you say "ok we can get the new bedroom suit" then she will say "ok". It worked for me, now I got to see what she needs so I can get clearance for my new sight. I'm thinking patio furniture.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honesty is the only way out of the situation. Tell her "honestly honey I'm gonna buy a new bow". Then when she says "but we had a deal" you say "that's why I've been building tower stands on the side, so it doesn't come out of our regular income" and she says "that's not the point" and you say "ok we can get the new bedroom suit" then she will say "ok". It worked for me, now I got to see what she needs so I can get clearance for my new sight. I'm thinking patio furniture.
it's funny you mentioned bedroom set, because we just spent $3000 on that whole deal! i am not complaining, because we needed it. i sleep like a rock on my new king sized bed.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't buy this argument at all, its better to be honest & up front. Just explain to her that you need another bow, see no problem. :becky:
i look at it this way....... i am gonna stick with my original deal with her, but there will be no new $400 coach handbags bought untill after i get a new bow!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
it's funny you mentioned bedroom set, because we just spent $3000 on that whole deal! i am not complaining, because we needed it. i sleep like a rock on my new king sized bed.
Ta da! There you go, that's your first barganing chip. If you can come up with the cash before you tell her your buying a new bow and she still objects that's when you have to play the patio furniture card, or shoes, all women love new shoes.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
never done it!!!! my wife handles all money . i haven't carried any money in over 30 years . this has left me borrowing money often when i worked and repaying it next day . it has also stopped frivolous spending [on my part , unfortunately hasn't bothered the wifes spending ].

1 - 20 of 70 Posts