Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a single pin Black Gold to try out and one thing that bugs me is how small the level is compared to my Spot Hogg.

Does BG make a replacement ring with a bigger level? I thought I had read somewhere that they changed it at some point.

Eyewear Font Gadget Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I don’t think they sell bigger bubbles, but the replacement rings they sell (I always get mine off EBay) come without the bubble glued in so you could get a bigger bubble and just super glue it into the replacement ring

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I picked up a single pin Black Gold to try out and one thing that bugs me is how small the level is compared to my Spot Hogg.

Does BG make a replacement ring with a bigger level? I thought I had read somewhere that they changed it at some point.

View attachment 7644054
I am not sure if bigger is better, but the level on your spot hogg is terrible. The bubble should just barely touch both lines when level. That way you are not guessing whether the gap between the bubble and line on each side are equal. Looks like you have almost an 1/8" gap.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure if bigger is better, but the level on your spot hogg is terrible. The bubble should just barely touch both lines when level. That way you are not guessing whether the gap between the bubble and line on each side are equal. Looks like you have almost an 1/8" gap.
I never noticed that about the Spot Hogg bubble, but I've never had an issue with it either. I've been shooting the Spot Hogg for a few years now and it just seems a lot easier to see the bubble while aiming. With the Black Gold I can't see the bubble easily in my peripheral while aiming.

I'll give the BG some time to see if I get used to it but it may end up for sale.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I never noticed that about the Spot Hogg bubble, but I've never had an issue with it either. I've been shooting the Spot Hogg for a few years now and it just seems a lot easier to see the bubble while aiming. With the Black Gold I can't see the bubble easily in my peripheral while aiming.

I'll give the BG some time to see if I get used to it but it may end up for sale.
If you decide to get rid of it let me know 😉

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you decide to get rid of it let me know 😉
If I don't warm up to it within my next few shooting sessions it will be up for sale. I have the dovetail and a Mountain Lite base for it. I'd probably prefer to trade it for a Fast Eddie XL to try out and compare to my Tommy Hogg.

No way to get a bigger bubble on that sight unless Black Gold comes out with a new set of rings with a pocket for a larger bubble in the future.
I'm jealous. I wanted to shoot the NW Mountain Challenge at Hoodoo the past two years because I lived over near Albany, but they cancelled it both years. Now I'm in Georgia.

I've really grown to love the sight picture the Spot Hoggs give you. I've had 3 pin and double pin and for me the double pin is about perfect. It would be nice if they were a tad lighter, but they are built really well.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I f you buy a replacement sight ring you can glue the bubble to the top and try that, they are designed for LH or RH shooters thats why they don’t glue the bubble in.
Interesting. Might be worth a try. I'm shooting well with it, but I'm still not really loving it. I thought the sight tape location would be better with it being to the left of the riser, but I find myself having to move the bow just as much to see it. The travel is stiffer than I'd like and I worry that in the southern heat with sweaty hands I may not be able to turn the knob. The 010 single pin is very crisp and bright on the BG but I really like the second pin on my SH.

Tomorrow I'll have 3 sights to compare. My trusty old Tommy Hogg, the Ascent Verdict dovetail, and a Fast Eddie XL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts