Votes: 16 40.0%
  • 10x42

Votes: 24 60.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy some binos. Which magnification do you prefer for mainly woods hunting (shots would be max 100 yards with a rifle) but I do have 1 field that is 300 yards long. This is not about light transmittance, simply looking for suggestions on power.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
after using both i would go for the 10x42s. i don't find the extra magnification to be a hindrance in the woods like some people think it is and if you're going to be glassing open fields at all you'll be glad to have the 10x. bigger objective is plus as well.

·
Registered
12,431 Posts
I have a lot of binos, really like 8x over 10x for any situation. I don't feel the extra mag is worth the extra shake and loss of field of view. there will not be much difference in brightness b/w a 8x32 and 10x42. I have some swaro el's in 8.5x42 which I love, but most of the time I hunt with a pair of opticron countryman bga hd 8x32. I saw them on birdfourm.com and picked them up in the classifieds and just love the size and view. I have some hawke frontier ed 8x43 that are great as well. My wife has some leica untravid hd 10x42 and some pentax sp 8x43, so I have plenty to peer through. I just like messing with binos, lol.

·
Waiting for opening day
2,337 Posts
8x32 mostly for portability. I have a fanny pack where I keep everything that I need for hunting. There is a pocket the perfect size for 8x32. I used to carry 8x25 but the x32 are much brighter. If I could have found 6x25 or 6x32, that's what I would have bought.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I like 8x32, particularly for woods use. Reasons, 12 to 16 ounces lighter. I got tired of carrying two pounds around my neck. One pound feels better, try it.
Brightness with the 8x32 is the same or better because than the 10x42 because of almost the same size exit pupil and lower magnification.
10x are too jiggly for me.
Luepold Mojaves are 8x32, If you want European glass, you will have to pay 3 times more. I couldn't tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'm using 8x32 right now, but almost all of my hunting spots are deep in the woods.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I have a pair of 10x32 mojaves and a pair of 8x42 cascades.Both are nice but the mojaves are only a few ounces lighter.The 8x42 cascades is my go to glass and I feel naked without them.The 10x32 is nice the the 8x42 is much better in low light and more crisp.

·
Catty Shack
12,536 Posts
I had a Zeiss Victory T* FL 8x42 and at about 32ozs, it was like carrying a brick in my backpack. Sold them to pay for the same binocular in an 8x32 - much lighter and more compact. Just a snitch less in low light capability.

·
Catty Shack
12,536 Posts
If I just hunted hardwoods I could get by with a 8x, but i do alot of guiding so I glass open fields year round so I love the 10x for multi tasking.
Ever own a 10x binocular before?

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
The 8x will be a little easier to hold steady. I'm not an optics expert but I'd probably buy the one with the highest light transmission for low light situations.

I think a rough estimate is the objective lens diameter divided by the magnification, in your comparison its pretty much a wash with the slight edge going to the 10x42. Lens and glass quality then comes into play. Don't skimp on glass if you don't have too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I mostly use 10x42. I am ok with 8x in general. But 32mm is too weak for objective size. About 10 years ago, I exclusively use 12x50, but found 10x42 is more comfortable and easy to carry. Right now, I am using my 10x42 ZRS on a scouting trip for October ELK hunt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.