Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have a pair of the Brunton Tech Lites. I love them. They are as clear as most of the more expensive binos, and seem to have just as good a quality as most. Bought them last year at the IBO in Erie, Penn. 8x42

However, my friend just picked up a pair from Cabelas, and they were crap. He ordered them after looking through mine. All it said in the ad in the catalogue was they were Brunton's. They were about $80.00 and weren't worth it at all. They were not the Tech Lites though, they were definitely a cheaper version for Cabelas.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do your homework before buying any binoculars. I learned enough about optics from reading information provided by many companies selling them on the web.

For my personal set:

Must have an eye relief greater than 15 mm for me because anything else will not work with eyeglasses..this includes if you wear shooting glasses or sunglasses. If they don't publish the eye relief, don't consider them. The words "long eye relief" or "cups fold down for eyeglass wearers" mean nothing and probably are deceptive.

If possible, porro prisms are better than roof prisms because of phasing and precision needed. Not a necessity.

Must have BAK-4 (Barium Crown Glass) prisms for clear image.

Must have coated lenses (prefer multicoated) for maximum transmission of light and contrast. I do not find anything that says that coating color on the objectives does anything special but sell binoculars.

Must have a complimentary objective lens size for the magnification. A lot of objective lens are too small and therefore the light transmission is reduced.

The binocular must be waterproof and fogproof. ANY water (we are going outside with them) can and will be detrimental to the binoculars. Water Resistant is not waterproof. They are different criteria and although water resistant is better than nothing, it is not good enough for an outdoorsman.

If it is good or excellent for bird watchers, then 3D targets and game animals ought to fit into it also.

The pair I WANTED were PHASE COATED and about $350.

I settled for some that had the basic criteria at $149 and they were the Trailhead 8x42 Waterproof model with 19mm eye relief from Orion. BTW, Orion lists the important specs in their catalog plus all they sell is optics. Orion

·
Banned
843 Posts
You have to pay over 200.00 and upwards of $300.00 to get a decent pair.Most of the jap BAK-4 waterproof rubber armoured Nikon,Pentax etc are decent. The only pair I can see a signifacant difference with good mid-range jap binos and hi-dollar euros are the top of the line Ziess.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
the bruntons are becoming more popular it seems as the week goes on lol they are very clear and i like the bak 4 lenses and they are reasonably priced
rob k

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'll second what nexus said , before buying bino go do a hands on look at them and decide for yourself . I just bought a pair of wind river olimpic binos and am very happy . The regular wind rivers were junk and the bruntons IMO fell in that same catigory .

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recently bought a pair of B&L binoculars after looking through a lot of binoculars. They were the clearest to me plus waterproof and fogproof. The guy behind the counter told me they get a lot of the Bruntons brought back. Then a friend bought a pair of Bruntons and sure enough his fogged up after driving to a shoot with the a/c on in his truck and then getting out into the heat. Mine were still clear as a bell.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I bought a set of Bushnell Trophy's in the winter, not high end but better than what I've been using and fit my skinny budget. I would've liked to get a pair of Stiener Predator's but that wasn't in the cards. Wives & optic shopping doesn't mix! Anyway make a long story short, look through every pair you consider buying. This is something you shouldn't be mail ordering - even more so than a bow!

·
74,535 Posts
Bruntons

They have special price and shooter program. Contact them and ask about special pricing for shooters. Externa are good Binos.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Never had an issue with my Bruntons "fogging" up. I have had them out on rainy days, excessively HOT/HUMID days, and also out hunting with me in the dead of winter. Never had any issues with them at all. I'm sure there may be some cases for some people, I'm strictly speaking from my own experiences here. Every company makes Higher end and lower end bino's, Tech lites and/or Eterna's are the best Bruntons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts